PAN LUBING

Started by OLD and GRUMPY, June-02-22 09:06

Previous topic - Next topic

OLD and GRUMPY

Summer is back. Time to lube what I cast over the winter.   This was last June on my deck.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

OLD and GRUMPY

Trim a funnel to size and cookie cutter them out. Funnel collects the bullets.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

top dog

O&G,
Do you use SPG bullet lube?  Double boiler??  That is what I use for my LEE mould cast bullets for my Shiloh Sharps 45/70.

Top Dog

OLD and GRUMPY

SPG or home brew . Too much work on the stove when air Temps in  the sun are over 105 for weeks at a time. Hit 115 for several weeks last year. Yesterday it was 100 air temp.   2 hours it is done.Place it where the shade will move over it in 2-3 hours. Sets up fast, hard enough to move with no knock overs. Don't have to watch it. No stink (wife happy) , spills , mess , water drops getting in the lube , no scorch burn or over heating. No bullets falling over. I have used hot plates, stove, and for small batches a tuna can on the plate of the coffee maker. God gave me sun. It works best for me. --- Those bullets are Lee 405gr hollow base for 45/70. Yesterday it was .450 Lee conical for .44 cap&ball  revolvers. They also work very well in CVA/Juker   .45  muskets/pistols, no patch. Just fit snug. Will try  .451.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

OLD and GRUMPY

The BP lube I like best is Thompson's  purple. It smells great sticks well and is the best hand conditioner/lotion  I ever found.     Just that little bit that gets on your hands working with it is enough. https://bulletlube.com/Black-Powder-Products_c_12.html      My home brew is based on this. Gatofieo's #1---- By weight, 2:2:1, sheep tallow, paraffin, and bees wax respectively    Beef tallow will do just render it a long time on low in a crock pot before mixing with wax.  It is close to SPG I have been told. It is based on a recipe from  the 1800s. Colt I think. For mid summer  (100+) I add a little more bees wax. Little less tallow.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

top dog

O&G,
Just wondering if over time,beef tallow would turn rancid in storage?

I use SPG in my 45/70 loads for my Shiloh Sharps.

Top Dog

OLD and GRUMPY

Quote from: top dog on June-04-22 06:06
O&G,

I use SPG in my 45/70 loads for my Shiloh Sharps.

Top Dog
Don't know. Beef and others have been used for hundreds of years. This is part of the reason to render it a long time.Removes moisture.  I keep it in the frig.  Marked "bullet lube" so they don't think it is Crisco ;D.  After it is loaded in a cartridge there will be no air or light to react with it.  --- I have used Crisco plus wax for small batches. Not bullet lube but to make  cap&ball grease to cap chambers or make lubed under ball wads. --- The English had problems with there Muslim troops because the paper cartridges were lubed with pork. -- Some fat from wild animals has a high salt content. I think bear is one.  There is a way to render the salt out but it is a smelly mess.  Not worth the work if you have other fat. If you want I'll post it later. 
Death before Decaf !!!!!

Surculus

What do you care? You're not eating it... The beeswax cuts down on the rapidity with which it can oxidize, as well as stiffening the mix.

OLD and GRUMPY

Quote from: Surculus on June-06-22 18:06

What do you care? You're not eating it... The beeswax cuts down on the rapidity with which it can oxidize, as well as stiffening the mix.
Forgot about that. Honey and bees wax have lots of  preservative and medical properties. Used as a rub on wounds. Honey does not go bad just  gets crunchy.   ;D  Eat it with a spoon. Best candy ever. Spoon with 1/2 peanut butter 1/2 crunchy honey ;D. Or mix half and half   PB and crunchy honey and let it sit a few days. PB starts to get crunchy also ;D.  -----Dang! I love drift.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

Uncle_Lee

I love drift also.
Keeps the world from getting boring.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )