What to do with a broken laser sight

Started by SteveZ-FL, May-05-13 11:05

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveZ-FL

Got bored one day and decided to take an old broken LaserLyte and make it into something.  Once brought down to just it's housing, the idea of turning it into a sight of some kind seemed reasonable.  So, it became a crosshair with a little bit of fabrication.  A heavy duty staple was used as the hairs with one set horizontal in the front and another set vertical in the rear.  This gave some alignment perception to the sight.  A blast of flat black paint later, and it was installed on my .22WMR 1 1/8th.

The sight is far from being competition quality, but it does help to keep the revolver within pie-plate diameter at a few yards.  I use an Uncle Mike's #2 pocket holster with this revolver and it still draws smooth with the installed sight.
...SteveZ

"...you never need a gun until you need it badly" - from WEB Griffin's The Honor of Spies, and Victory and Honor.

Kentucky Kevin

Jesus loves YOU all of you
"Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants – but debt is the money of slaves."

TwoGunJayne

That's pretty awesome.

I've dropped several lighting devices in my past. They used to just hit the garbage.

Once I matured as a light modifier, I realized that it comes down to troubleshooting the components.

You have the circuit, the emitter, the batteries, and the switch.

I "broke" a light last night during a walk in the woods. It fell out of my pocket, hitting a rock. When I picked it up, it didn't work. My first thought was "aw, crap, now I need a new one." Normally with lights, this isn't a bad idea.

I fiddled with the switch, smacking the switch assembly against my hand a few times. I cycled the switch several times. When I was a technician, this is referred to as the "technical tap."

Result? Working light again. I had to disassemble nothing.

It's a really cool build, man. I'm not down on what you've done in the slightest. In fact, I think it's awesome.

I just thought I'd drop a few troubleshooting reminders. When you realize that you can fabricate new light bodies and such, you start to wonder why you were throwing your old parts away. I agree with you, don't throw them away, turn them into something useful!

bigwheel

Smart thinking on that. Believe I would like a little finer cross hairs on mine. You got any black widow spiders around there? They make the best crosshairs..lol. When me and some pals got into the Metallic Silhouette hobby quite a few years ago..some of the big boys had large bore single shot pistols...30-30 etc. and it was legal for what they did to have a scope as long as it didnt maginfy..so they have long tubes with crosshairs. Very easy to hit with them and better than sights because it gets all your visual on a single plane..or seems like thats what the gun books of the era said. Call the patent Atty and start churning them out. Great idea in other words.