Just got my first hand guns

Started by Mitchg95, February-03-14 17:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitchg95

I just got my first naa mini today
It is a naa companion, I'm try into figure out when it was made, it has no safety notches between cylinders and has a serial # k3609
Also, I got a ruger mk1 made in 1982
I still am doing research on both guns, I will post pics once I figure how to post them from a iPad mini
We can't just settle for awesome anymore- Kyle Gass

ikoiko

Can't help with the black powder safety notches.
If your ipad has a camera function, just take a picture with it.
At the bottom of the text box where you post is "attachments and other options".
Click it and choose your picture .

boone123

I would assume the hammer is kept down  between the nipples to be safe.

ikoiko

Quote from: boone123 on February-03-14 20:02
I would assume the hammer is kept down  between the nipples to be safe.

No better place to rest safely.

Mitchg95

Ok, ran some errands, got a tripper lock and put it on my ruger mk1 and gave my father the key to the lock
I tried resting the hammer between the nipples, thanks for the suggestion, it works
I'm having trouble finding #11 caps around town, I found some online but shipping prices are just to high for me to consider them.
The ruger, is a mk1 made towards the end of the production of mk1 models in 1982.
As to the mini, I have a pound of fffg pyrodex, will that work?

Mitchg95

Here is a picture of the gun with my bayonet and holster  8)

doc_stadig

You should carry the companion with the hammer on an empty chamber, unless you are going to shoot it right away. Remington caps are pretty much the only commercially made ones that work consistently in the companions. I'm keeping my eye out for another Tap-O-Cap to stick in my camping/move-out kit, but it seems to be harder than finding a good politician that's still breathing. Tap-O-Cap is a tool that lets you make your own percussion caps. It's a little laborious but gives me an extra line of self-sufficiency. The only expendables for it is toy caps and aluminum soda cans, I've got about 20,000 caps (10,000 percussion caps) currently, and whenever I see them I grab a box or 2. They work great in my companions. It looks like you have the "long rifle " version, so you may not be able to use the #4 shot trick for ammunition.
Good luck with it.

Doc

Mitchg95

I'm about to go to the gun store to look for some Remington caps. Hopefully they will have some.
As to the cap gun caps, how would i go about doing that? Just place the cap on the nipple and load up?

ikoiko

The cap gun caps are used with the Tap o cap tool whick allows you to make your own percussion caps. The tool is no longer made.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/842064/forster-tap-o-cap-11-percusion-cap-maker

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=82768

TwoGunJayne

Quote from: Mitchg95 on February-03-14 20:02
Ok, ran some errands, got a tripper lock and put it on my ruger mk1 and gave my father the key to the lock
I tried resting the hammer between the nipples, thanks for the suggestion, it works
I'm having trouble finding #11 caps around town, I found some online but shipping prices are just to high for me to consider them.
The ruger, is a mk1 made towards the end of the production of mk1 models in 1982.
As to the mini, I have a pound of fffg pyrodex, will that work?

http://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=3182.

Yep. You can squash it up on a paper plate with the flat bottom of a drinking glass for better performance. Grain size really is the only difference between 3f and 4f. "Back in the day," military black powder was likely 2f (rifle) or 1f (cannon,) and you got the other powders by local grinding.

Mitchg95

Thanks for the suggestions :)
I'm waiting for the weather to get better so I can go shoot my new guns. Wish this storm would pack its bags and just leave already

nastruck

Hey Mitch I own a MK1 also. Mine was make in the 1940's. They are incredible guns, my grandson likes to shoot it as fast as he can pull the trigger but the old MK1 is faster then he is. Never a jam or miss load. Awesome firearm!!!!

Mitchg95

That's the reason my grandfather loves the mk1 so much, the whole time he owned it it never jammed or misfired on him :)
This morning I scored 116 number 11 percussion caps from a guy at the gun store for 4 bucks. I now have everything to go shoot this little bad boy :) I just hope the weather gets better soon

Mitchg95

Should I go and get some chamber grease to put on top of the bullets after loading?

TwoGunJayne

Quote from: Mitchg95 on February-05-14 12:02
Should I go and get some chamber grease to put on top of the bullets after loading?

Absolutely! It helps prevent "chain-fire." That's when you drop the hammer and more than one chamber lights! It's usually considered a bad thing.

I use Thompson & Center "Bore Butter." Smells just like those "wax lips" halloween treats, but DONT EAT IT! :)

It reduces fouling and makes it easier to clean, and it has a very high smoke temp. Superior to Crisco or bacon grease.

It is said to be pretty critical with BP pieces...

Dinadan

Mitchg95 - congrats on those two handguns. I have a Ruger Mark I. A great gun that just keeps working.

gunfitrip

O.K., I already told you what I thought about your Ruger on the other Hi thread.  Your LR companion is near in serial number to mine.  I don't remember exactly how long ago I got it but it's been a while back.  Doc told you good info along with TwoGun and the rest.  If you're going to carry it around in your pocket, hammer down on an empty chamber.  That gives you four shots.  You will need to get that powder to 4f consistency or you won't get much power.  777 is a black powder substitute that works well in the .45 granulation and will give you a good result.  You can also find that easier usually than black powder. Be meticulous in your loading and it will not misfire on you.  Make sure to get the bullet started straight.  Those 100 plus caps were a deal at $4.  Keep your eye out for a Tap-O-Cap.  I got one, a million caps, and aluminum cans to last a life time.  I'm like Doc, it's in my travel bag.  Keep your eye open for deals, they'll come.  I mean like your local store selling roll caps for cheap. These Companions are fun.  I got one of the first Super Companions made.  My wife bought it for me.  Be careful and keep your hand out of in front of that Companion, it is small.   

Mitchg95

Thanks guys :)
I took my companion to the range this afternoon and put 20 rounds through it, it went perfect! I only had a couple problems, one cap two strikes to fire, and another cap fragmented and I had unjam the cylinder manually. Other than that it went pretty good. I'm gonna have to put more rounds through it to get better at hitting the target. I got a 10-12 inch group at 10.5 yards, four out of five shots got on the paper for that group. I'll have to pick up some bore butter next time I'm in the shop. The people at the range were interested in the companion, the man at the counter checking the ammo for steel core ammo saw the bullets I was shooting and he could not believe that I had a black powder gun this small! I can't wait to go out and shoot again, I'm loving this gun so much :)

gunfitrip

That's not a bad group for the first time shooting a LR companion.  You'll get better.

doc_stadig

Another thing we've seem to have forgotten to mention, you MUST be meticulous with cleaning that companion, the black powder and all the substitutes will destroy your barrel if left in there for very long.

Doc

gunfitrip

Yep on the cleaning.  Go to one of the big stores like Macy's or one like that and go to the make-up section.  Get some of the eye-lash brushes they give away there.  They are perfect for cleaning the .22 black-powder residue out of the barrel and cylinder.

TwoGunJayne

I use a Hoppe's Bore Snake in .22 on my BP Earl. You might have to trim the brass drop weight slightly to get it through the barrel and you'll probably have to go a bit more slowly than a straight pull situation. A pull-through is the quickest way to do the barrel and saves you time to pay attention to the rest.

Mitchg95

I cleaned it for about 30 minutes last night, she looks like she has never been shot :)
I picked up some hoppe's cleaning solvent, some .22 wire brushes, mops, patches and a couple jags for my cleaning kit :)
I think I'll try a bore snake next time I shoot and have to clean, that would be much easier than using the cleaning rod made for short barreled rifles

TwoGunJayne

Quote from: Mitchg95 on February-06-14 08:02
I cleaned it for about 30 minutes last night, she looks like she has never been shot :)
I picked up some hoppe's cleaning solvent, some .22 wire brushes, mops, patches and a couple jags for my cleaning kit :)
I think I'll try a bore snake next time I shoot and have to clean, that would be much easier than using the cleaning rod made for short barreled rifles

When your bore snake gets absolutely filthy, wet it with liquid laundry detergent, coil it up in a mesh bag, and run it with your laundry. Seriously.

Mitchg95

Thanks for the tip twogunjayne

boone123

When I used to clean my stainless BP Ruger  revolver I removed the  grips, and with the cylinder out of the gun, washed it in hot soapy water in the kitchen sink using a bore brush, and an old tooth brush. rinsed with hot water, then blew dry with compressed air, then sprayed inside and out with WD40, then blew that all out. Good forever.
Some people just take them apart  and wash them in the dishwasher.

Mitchg95

I used some hoppe's solvent to clean it and some light oil to lubricate it.
I like to idea of the dish washer, I might use that next time.

MadDogStafford

Mitchg95, now ya need a mold to make some of them .22 lead bullets.  ;)

BTW, I also have a Tap-O-Cap. Great thing to have!  ;)

Mitchg95

That would be cool to cast my own .22 bullets :)

MadDogStafford

Hi Mitchg95, I think you can use .24 lead round balls in your Black Powder NAA. I was going to buy a bag of them and see if they work. They are only .02 bigger.

TwoGunJayne

Quote from: Mitchg95 on February-07-14 17:02

I am told of a way to turn old rimfire brass into swaged lead core projectiles for .223/5.56 (depending on specs.)

It isn't casting, it's just running a lead wire into a swage die. There are kits you can get, and a ROI time.

Mitchg95

Thanks for the tip mad dog :) I'll go check that out right now

doc_stadig

I got a #4/ 00 combination shot mold from this place http://www.buckshotmold.com/ It seems to be well made, but I haven't tried it out yet. I've used #4 commercial shot in my "magnum" Companions and they work great, but it has a hardening alloy, I'm guessing that pure lead #4 shot could be pressed into the the Companions. They aren't really long distance accuracy weapons, anyhow, so I think it will work fine for them. You still have to thoroughly clean it, and ensure that the barrel is not leading up. Anytime I can provide my needs apart from commercially prepared products, I'm much happier, LOL

Doc

MadDogStafford

Quote from: TwoGunJayne on February-07-14 20:02
Quote from: Mitchg95 on February-07-14 17:02

I am told of a way to turn old rimfire brass into swaged lead core projectiles for .223/5.56 (depending on specs.)

It isn't casting, it's just running a lead wire into a swage die. There are kits you can get, and a ROI time.
Hi Jayne, there is a guy that goes by "PT Sniper". He swagges lots of calibers of brass shells into brass bullets. He does a lot of .223 shooting too. He also makes the Dies and stuff for you to buy. I'm thinking about getting some of his dies.

TwoGunJayne

I've been tempted several times to try a set. I hear a heavy shooter can pay for the dies. ...just not yet.