Single shot break top

Started by Mark4568910, June-22-15 20:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark4568910

I was wondering what you might think about a single shot break top in .22lr and/or .22mag. Would be interesting to see something like this produced by naa. No cylinder so it would be thinner. To me it seems like a nice option. What are your thoughts? How many people would buy this, if they started production?

MR_22

I have a couple of EIG four-shot break-top .22LR derringers, like this one. Interesting little gun. I'd love for NAA to make something like this. It's an updated version of the Mossberg Brownie.

Mark4568910

I've heard of the brownie. I know people used to buy them off the back of magazines

OldManJared

Now that is interesting!  :o

MR_22

Quote from: EDELWEISS on June-23-15 13:06
Quote from: MR_22 on June-22-15 20:06
I have a couple of EIG four-shot break-top .22LR derringers, like this one. Interesting little gun. I'd love for NAA to make something like this. It's an updated version of the Mossberg Brownie.

Reminds me of the COP-a four shot 357 magnum made in the 80s

Yup. Same idea. I almost bought one of the COPs a few times. Now their prices have skyrocketed. (Saw a couple .357-Magnum COPs on a couple episode of the new Battlestar Galactica series. That was pretty funny.)

The EIG is not a high quality firearm, but it works. The finish sucks and the grips are broken on half of the guns I've seen--they are broken on one of mine, while the other is fine. KInd of sad, because it's a cool design. The Mossbergs were high quality firearms, it seems, but the EIG improved upon the design by adding "standard derringer-like" extractors, which the Mossberg did not have.

I have two of the four-barreled EIG's and they shoot just fine. I would love a high-quality version of them, especially if that were made by NAA. One in .22 Magnum would be awesome! It seems the original patents on the Mossberg would be long expired by now.

gebe

Interesting thought but why not make it a double shot? Would only be slightly larger but still tiny.

Quote from: EDELWEISS on June-23-15 13:06
Quote from: MR_22 on June-22-15 20:06

Reminds me of the COP-a four shot 357 magnum made in the 80s

Interesting little 4 shot! I love little unusual guns. Thanks for the picture.

I had a COP .357 derringer for a few years back then. Sliced the webbing of my hand a couple times from the recoil!  :o I still loved shooting it. The build quality was like NAA minis, that is top notch and also like NAA's, all top quality stainless steel.

However, some of them had mis-firing problems and mine did. I sent it back to the manufacturer and they corrected the problem and even smoothed out any rough edges and gave the stainless steel a superb re-polishing job. Never had a problem after that. Came in a quality hinged blue box lined with blue velvet. Can't even remember now what I did with it but sure wish I still had it!

Sorry for going off topic so much but EDELWEISS' comment about it flooded back the memories.

theysayimnotme

I used to have a 4 shot derringer copy of the Sharps. They even made one smaller yet with a birds head grip. I haven't seen any in a long time but I would like to get another one. If you want a break barrel single shot get one of the Colt or Butler ones. I have one of the Butlers. The problem is they are larger than the 5 shot NAA minis & are only in .22 short.

Mark4568910

Yeah, Ill have to check out the colt and butler. Seems like there are not many single shot pistols out there. But this is a very niche market. I do love the idea of a rotating firing pin or more than one firing pin/barrel like the COP.  Would sure like to see more break tops.

Uncle_Lee

God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

RogueTS1

Pursuing the Colts.....................
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

theysayimnotme

That sounds like a happy pair of Colts. The pairs were usually the Lord & Lady models. The Butlers were also sold in pairs
but because they did not have the Colt name they were much cheaper even though they were made by the same people.
I had the pair but I put them on consignment about twenty years ago. One sold & I still have the second one. I would laugh all
the way to the bank if I could get what that one is selling for.

chup

Her is a top break and a side break.

Mark4568910

Quote from: chup on June-24-15 13:06
Her is a top break and a side break.

Nice I need to get a collection going.

MR_22

cfsharry

That be one dumbass gun.

PaducahMichael

Quote from: cfsharry on June-29-15 18:06
That be one dumbass gun.

My thoughts Ed Zachary.
"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

MR_22

This thread is drifting pretty far from the original intent, but here's a couple of 9mm top-break single-shot derringers for sale. They're squarish and ugly (they remind me of zippo lighters), but kind of cool. Too much for me, though.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=492692957

Uncle_Lee

In case anyone is still interested, here is a set of Butler single shot derringers.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=493380936
God, Country, & Flag

cfsharry

The very first handgun I purchased was a Colt marked .22 short derringer.  I think I was about 14 and proud as a peacock.
Does anyone know if the Butler and the Colt were of the same Manufacture?

pietro

I was always attracted to the Advantage Arms 4-shot .22........

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

RogueTS1

Quote from: cfsharry on July-07-15 07:07
The very first handgun I purchased was a Colt marked .22 short derringer.  I think I was about 14 and proud as a peacock.

Must be the good old days when a 14 year old boy could buy a firearm. We could not even buy a BB gun when I was young. Those must have been the days................
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

gebe

Quote from: pietro on July-07-15 07:07

Yeah, I like that one too!

MR_22

Quote from: pietro on July-07-15 07:07

Huh, I've never seen that one before. It looks to be a closer copy of the original Mossberg Brownie than my EIG's. I think I'm attracted to that one, too!

cfsharry

Rogue,
Pretty sure it wasn't legal but it was before JFK and guns were pretty much available on a mail order basis without background checks etc.  Full disclosure: when my dad found out about it after about three or four weeks of everyday pocket carry and bullet holes in several Beginning Latin textbooks the gun was removed from my possession.

theysayimnotme

Quote from: cfsharry on July-07-15 07:07

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=72205

That 4 barreled one looks like a Mossberg Brownie on steroids.

cfsharry

Thanks for the link.  Appreciate the time.

MR_22

This thread has sure drifted to not even being about NAA's....

Anyway, look what I picked up today. It's a DoubleTap ported .45ACP derringer. I thought they were pretty cool when somebody posted them here 2 or 3 years ago, but the price was just crazy for the type of gun. I found this one one Bud's Gun Shop for about $180 with free shipping, and I like weird guns, so I snagged one.

It doesn't take +P ammo (and why would you ever want to shoot +P in this beast anyway???), so I'm going to try some Lehigh Defense .45ACP Maximum Expansion ammo in it for possible concealed carry as strictly a backup to my primary. I think it might do well for that. It's SO THIN, wow. Haven't shot it, yet, tho. It might provide some very interesting hand punishment.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/79616/DoubleTap+DT045011+Aluminum+2RD+45ACP+3%22+Ported
http://www.lehighdefense.com/products/45-acp-174gr-maximum-expansion-ammo
http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2012/08/lehigh-defense-45-acp-maximum-expansion.html

bill_deshivs

The Butler and Colt guns are made of zinc. They look very nice as long as they are new, but are not high quality firearms.

MR_22

Quote from: bill_deshivs on July-22-15 01:07
The Butler and Colt guns are made of zinc. They look very nice as long as they are new, but are not high quality firearms.

True, and over time the finish will probably degrade. Zinc is not a high-quality metal. Weren't most of the .32S&W revolvers made around the turn of the 20th century coated with zinc? Or maybe chromed? Whatever it was, the finishes on most of those with the "shiny" revolvers have not survived well, sadly. I have a couple of them made around that time and mine aren't horrible, but they aren't pretty, either.

Some of those single-shot Colts are pretty old by now. Is the metal surviving the age? Like lead, you can melt zinc on a kitchen stove.

theysayimnotme

Here is my Butler. It looks like the
finish on the barrel is only painted on.

gebe

Quote from: MR_22 on July-21-15 20:07
This thread has sure drifted to not even being about NAA's....

Anyway, look what I picked up today. It's a DoubleTap ported .45ACP derringer. I thought they were pretty cool when somebody posted them here 2 or 3 years ago, but the price was just crazy for the type of gun. I found this one one Bud's Gun Shop for about $180 with free shipping, and I like weird guns, so I snagged one.

It doesn't take +P ammo (and why would you ever want to shoot +P in this beast anyway???), so I'm going to try some Lehigh Defense .45ACP Maximum Expansion ammo in it for possible concealed carry as strictly a backup to my primary. I think it might do well for that. It's SO THIN, wow. Haven't shot it, yet, tho. It might provide some very interesting hand punishment.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/79616/DoubleTap+DT045011+Aluminum+2RD+45ACP+3%22+Ported
http://www.lehighdefense.com/products/45-acp-174gr-maximum-expansion-ammo
http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2012/08/lehigh-defense-45-acp-maximum-expansion.html

Nice! I like weird little guns too. I would have bought one of those in 9mm in a heartbeat but alas, Calif.'s nanny lawmakers say no.

MR_22

Quote from: gebe on July-22-15 13:07
Nice! I like weird little guns too. I would have bought one of those in 9mm in a heartbeat but alas, Calif.'s nanny lawmakers say no.

BOO for your nanny lawmakers! :(

Uncle_Lee

Quote from: MR_22 on July-22-15 15:07
Quote from: gebe on July-22-15 13:07

BOO for your nanny lawmakers! :(

BOO for the people who vote them into office.
Before putting all the blame on the person in office, just think "They would not be interfering in my life if they were not in office.".
Therefore most of the blame in on the people who voted for that person. Just like in the case of obama.
God, Country, & Flag

theysayimnotme

They don't "get elected" they buy the elections. Worse yet the people who might be able to turn the state around are leaving in droves or not coming in the first place. They are now giving drivers licenses to "undocumented aliens" & I expect it will not be long before they register them to vote when they get their license. Save yourselves, it's too late for us.
My wife & I have worked as poll workers at several elections & we are not allowed to ask for any proof of identity except
for the rare cases when there is a notion on the voter list. I think that is limited to first time voters.