BW issues

Started by Azshooter, July-15-15 18:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Azshooter

Test fired my BW today.  Spent casings seem to be backing out just a hair and the case is swelling just in front of the rim.  This causes the cylinder to jam up and not rotate.  I'm using some slightly older ammo, but i can't see how that would matter.  Anyone else have similar issues?

MR_22

What caliber are you shooting?

Azshooter

sorry, 22mag  superX.

on a side note, this moderator approval is odd. does everyone have to go through it for every post?

boone123

Azshooter.
Try a different brand of ammo.

sandiem

Haven't had that issue.  I think I used about every kind of cheap ammo I've been able to get my hands on. 

(Was at the range with a friend, she has a Ruger SR22 and the thing kept jamming up with the Remington Thunderbolts, my BW had no problem with them. 
I am convinced I could successfully shoot rusty nails from my BW.  ;) )

Are you having this issue with LR or Mags?  What brand?

MR_22

The NAA .17's actually had this problem of the rounds backing out after a shot and jamming the cylinder, which is (I think) why they were discontinued. The .22-Magnum, not so much. I think the .22LR would even be less likely to do this.

First thing I would do is make sure the cylinder pin is inserted fully and not causing the jam. From my experience, that cylinder pin is mostly likely the culprit for jams. If that's OK, like boone said, try another ammo first.

In any case, it's not normal, and not really acceptable.

Pugmeister

Welcome Azshooter,

on a side note, this moderator approval is odd. does everyone have to go through it for every post?
[/quote]

As to your question about moderator approval, I believe the magic number of posts when you will get away from it is
16 or 17. I agree, it is frustrating at first to have to wait when others are responding to your post.

As to your BW problem, I would have to agree with trying a different ammo first and see what happens.
Good luck!
PUGMEISTER

cwlongshot

Quote from: MR_22 on July-16-15 08:07
The NAA .17's actually had this problem of the rounds backing out after a shot and jamming the cylinder, which is (I think) why they were discontinued. The .22-Magnum, not so much. I think the .22LR would even be less likely to do this.

First thing I would do is make sure the cylinder pin is inserted fully and not causing the jam. From my experience, that cylinder pin is mostly likely the culprit for jams. If that's OK, like boone said, try another ammo first.

Bottle neck cartridges experiencing set back in the chambers of a revolver is quite common and it has caused the discontinuation of many of them. :(

But in a straight wall, like the 22 RF mag or otherwise, is NOT common.

I agree, try different ammo. But also what do your chambers look like?  Are they clean and smooth?

CW

MR_22

Quote from: Azshooter on July-15-15 19:07
sorry, 22mag  superX.

Only new members are required to have all posts approved. The owner of the NAA board has recently set this up after a number of spam barrage postings, usually over the weekends when NAA is closed. After you've been here awhile and proven not to be a spammer, that approval requirement goes away. I don't know what the threshold is for that, but it shouldn't be long before you're a "regular member" of the board.

Azshooter

I'm going to try to procure a few other brands of ammo.  The only thing rarer than 22LR is 22Mag (i'm convinced.)  The cylinder seems firm, no wobble, and the pin is straight.  Everything seems to cycle and time very well, until a shot or two.  Then it seizes up.  Cant rotate the cylinder or even budge it in the least.  Takes some elbow grease to slide it out once the pin is removed.  I'll try to get a photo of the cases, I think i saved a few.

Azshooter

I hope this comes out well.

Azshooter

Quote from: cwlongshot on July-16-15 13:07
Quote from: MR_22 on July-16-15 08:07

Bottle neck cartridges experiencing set back in the chambers of a revolver is quite common and it has caused the discontinuation of many of them. :(

But in a straight wall, like the 22 RF mag or otherwise, is NOT common.

I agree, try different ammo. But also what do your chambers look like?  Are they clean and smooth?

CW
Chambers look good ad clean. All unfired rounds seat properly and freely.

Uncle_Lee

I don't think there should be that much space behind the cylinder.
I just checked one and the cylinder is right up against the frame.
Maybe the countersink in the chambers for the rims to fit are too deep in the cylinder.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

willr

Remington Thunderbolts have been a problem with me for some time.  FTF frequently and also split casings in lr (btw it is in the correct cylinder.)
willr

boone123

Azshooter.
I have a 317 S&W that does that with Federal Match Target 22s. Works with anything else I have tried.