Non-Glossy Wood Grips. Finishing?

Started by Scott Free, September-06-16 17:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Free

I just placed an order for a set of Thingmeister's walnut grips for my Black Widow. I asked that he leave them unfinished because I know I'll be shortening them so that they just fit my smallish hand. I'm hear to ask opinions on finishing them once my little modification is complete. I prefer to have a non-glossy finish, but of course I want the wood to look good, and also well protected. I'm not sure what to use. Can I just use oil—such as tung oil? Or is there something non-glossy that will seal the wood? I should mention that the gun is carried in a front pants pocket.

Thoughts?

jennflip

scotfree---I have three sets of his grips--the finish he uses is auto paint topcoat---tough stuff---you might ask him if he can make it "flatter" or there might be a product not as shiny---I love the finish------or you might can ask him to steel wool a sample and shoot you a picture---I love the topcoat---

Scott Free

I've asked for the grips to be left unfinished because I'm going to shorten them a little bit to fit my hand (and no bigger.) I'm going to have to finish the grips myself.

Scott Free

Thanks to the Tru-oil suggestion above, followed by a bit of internet research, I think Tru-oil is the way to go!

Thank you!

zorba

It has worked very well for the grips and stocks I've used it on.

Ruger

I love the results you can get with Tru Oil; I wouldn't use anything else!
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

Canoeal

Tru-oil works, but as a boatbuilder, so does Boiled Linseed oil from the hardware store, and it feels better.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Ruger

Quote from: Canoeal on September-13-16 20:09
Tru-oil works, but as a boatbuilder, so does Boiled Linseed oil from the hardware store, and it feels better.

I tried Boiled Linseed Oil once, borrowed from a friend.  Does it get old?  I have steered away from it for years because the finish never quite dried enough to get a hard feel to it; it was always a little soft and sticky feeling.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

Doc Nonverbal

You can adjust the finish using steel wool or Scotch Brite pads.  The gray Scotch Brite pads leave a nice matte finish.  The white pads will leave a bright shiny finish.

If you use steel wool, you can clean up the pieces efficiently by wrapping a magnet in a tissue/paper towel/rag.

Good luck!
Flames from one log leap to another
fire kindles fire;
a wise man learn from the minds of others
a fool prefers his own.

Canoeal

Yes Boiled linseed oil does age. Most problems occur with stuff that is several years old. Another likely possibility is that it was raw not boiled linseed oil. Raw does not have the hardeners in it.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke