Got a new Black Widow, well sort of

Started by mrmurl, October-31-17 14:10

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmurl

I work part time in a local gun shop.  I got a NAA Wasp a short time ago and put a folding holster grip on it.  The wife took it away from me and now it is hers. 
Like I said I work in a gun shop so ordered a Black Widow.  I told the owner that I would leave it in the showcase for a couple of weeks to see what happens.  Well it came in today and now I wish I had not told him that.  It is a totally different animal then the Wasp.  Really feels good in the hand and I like the sights too.  I got this one with the fixed sights, and I think they are going to be  great.  I do have a question; all that I have seen have the  Black Widow emblem on the grip but have never seen the other side of the grips until today.  Does the widow come with the emblem on both sides or is this one missing the emblem from the side.  Oh the emblem is on the side facing you if the barrel is facing to your right.  Can't wait for the couple of weeks to be over so I can play with my new toy.  Or order another one for the store.
A gun is like a parachute; if you need it and don't have it, you probably won't need it again.

smokeless joe

grayelky

The emblem is only on the right grip. Yeah, I like the BW, too. I'd talk to the owner and go ahead and order one for the store, if he felt it would be a good idea. In the mean time, go ahead and fondle that one a lot (in the slow periods w/o customers). You will be training your fingers and brain. Remove the cylinder and dry fire it, a lot. That will smooth up the moving parts. You, or the next owner, will appreciate it. I also prefer the fixed sights.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

mrmurl

Thanks guys for the replies.  I don't remember ever seeing one pictured without the emblem, and can't remember ever seeing the left side of one so that answered my question.  I plan on fondling it a lot.  I have some 22 snap caps and may load the cylinder with those to dry fire it.  That would also smooth out the pawl and latch dog for the cylinder.  I think I fell in lust when I saw it.  Actually I had an appointment yesterday and only stopped by the shop on my way home. I liked the Wasp but it is no comparison to the BW.  Now if I can keep my wife's hands off of it.  Will be practicing with the Long rifle cylinder and carry the Mag cylinder, of course there is practice with the mag cylinder also. 
When I got the wasp and was looking for some information on it, is how I found this forum.  Glad to be a part of it.  My first love has always been T/C Contenders and I have a couple of Glocks.  One to carry and another on the night stand.  I also have a few various 22 caliber  pistols.  The NAA revolvers are the first revolvers I have owned in many years.
A gun is like a parachute; if you need it and don't have it, you probably won't need it again.

seaotter

There are a lot of us this board that think the BW is the best of the NAA line-up (others, of course, have differing opinions. And they are entitled to their opinions, no matter how mistaken they might be ;D ). The BW is big enough that the average person can grip it well. The sights are just as good as the ones found on larger firearms. It is small enough to carry easily, but it's big enough to look like a "real" gun. I love my 22lr mini, but I love my BW better!

mrmurl

Thanks Otter; I did get to fondle my BW today, but not as much as I would like to have.  We were pretty busy today and didn't get as much time as would have liked.  Going to go back tomorrow to help out.  Maybe get a chance to play with it more then. 

gsp1951

Congratulations on your purchase. I got my BW several years ago and though I've had a 1 5/8 Mini-mag, and a 3" The Earl, and have the Sheriff and the Wasp, the BW is my favorite.
I'm planning on getting a couple more NAA revolvers, but I think the Black Widow is hard to beat. YMMV!

Bigbird48

I have 6 and one on order and the BW is my EDC :D

seak

I put the bigger wood grips on my BW and have only shot the mags but at seven yards I can keep all rounds on a mans nose.

kc

Good choice mrmurl. The Black Widow is my choice for edc, too. I have to say, though, the 3" Earl is pretty good lookin' & maybe my current preference for a plinking "kit" style NAA.
The R2 may change all that, tho. Have to wait and see!

franco22

The Black Widow has been my favorite mini revolver too. I have a 2.5" Sidewinder on the way and I will definitely be grabbing a Ranger II after the initial production run. Maybe my opinion will change

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: mrmurl on October-31-17 14:10
I work part time in a local gun shop.  I got a NAA Wasp a short time ago and put a folding holster grip on it.  The wife took it away from me and now it is hers. 
Like I said I work in a gun shop so ordered a Black Widow.  I told the owner that I would leave it in the showcase for a couple of weeks to see what happens.  Well it came in today and now I wish I had not told him that.  It is a totally different animal then the Wasp.  Really feels good in the hand and I like the sights too.  I got this one with the fixed sights, and I think they are going to be  great.  I do have a question; all that I have seen have the  Black Widow emblem on the grip but have never seen the other side of the grips until today.  Does the widow come with the emblem on both sides or is this one missing the emblem from the side.  Oh the emblem is on the side facing you if the barrel is facing to your right.  Can't wait for the couple of weeks to be over so I can play with my new toy.  Or order another one for the store.

Welcome to the Forum!

The Black Widow is one of my favorites and is one of my EDC's 90% of the time.

Any of the NAA "Square Barrel" line is a "keeper" lately I have also added the Mini Master to EDC. 

Some days its "Square Barrel Day" and its the Pug in my Rt Frt Pocket, the Black Widow on Lt side in a Cross-Draw and the Mini Master in a Pancake on the Rt "Strong Side".

Be warned, this will not be your last NAA purchase.  :)

Welcome again, and post some photos.  Everyone here loves a photo!
Rick Jorgenson

Bigbird48

How bout a picture of a bug out in one of your awesome holsters ;D

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: Bigbird48 on November-08-17 08:11
How bout a picture of a bug out in one of your awesome holsters ;D

They will be ready today for their "Photo Shoot"

You can't rush a "STAR"  BigBird48   lol!!!

I wish I had Orange Thread!  I'm going to order some. 
Rick Jorgenson

silverback

I picked mine up today.   Grip has a great feel.  Hopefully get to take a few shots tomorrow.  The metal lock box is a nice touch. 

silverback

mrmurl

I sold mine today out of the shop, so have to order in another.  Nice lady bought it.  She fell in love with it.

MtGoat

Good on you.
It is good to know this lady will have your back.
Now you can order one in with all of the bells and whistles you want.
Maybe order a Ranger II from a distributor as well. ;D

Pat

Uncle_Lee

Pictures make the eyes open up early in the morning.
Thanks.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

silverback

quick range trip.    All I can say is wow.  This is an entirely different beast compared to regular 22mag co version 15/8 barrel front sight ramp.

The grip works great. I am still going to try the holster grip at some point to get better hands on feel and comparison.

Once I realized the rear sight was off and adjusted sight picture the accuracy was impressive.   

It lives up to all the postitive coments.  I am not sure if it's the added weight , sights or both but it does instill much more confidence as a viable deep carry option.

Super glad I made the switch.   

if one is just getting into these fine min"s or could only own one then  the black widow would be to of the list.

silverback

Update :    the happiness continues this is such an accurate little gun.   Getting used to trigger and hand poison key.  Also trigger break in helps.   I tried my grip holster but the panels have s little slop and allow for some up and down movement which reduces accuracy.  I like the grip holster as it gives more ccw options but if I can't get panels to fit tight then one of the holsters here may be an option.

Again if your just starting with these mini's make this first purchase you will be very satisfied.

Warthog

Silverback, I love my Black Widows, they are what I usually carry too.  They shoot great and with the CVang grip on mine I find it is easy to hold.  I have so many Minis I am not sure what to do, I need to find a better place to hold them when they aren't being used.  My 22 Short is at the gunsmith now getting it's eyelet so it can anchor my pocket watch chain.  Still waiting for the holster from Rick for that but he is at a show so it will be here when it is, the smith should have my Short done before much longer and when it is, you can be sure there will be pix. 8)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Doc Holliday

You'll love the BW! I bought a new one at a gun show, and the previous owner had put wooden boot grips on it which I like much better.
Doc Holliday

All would be well and all would be well and all manner of things would be well.

Warthog

Nice stuff there Doc.  The boot grips are great too.  I had the CVang here already so I put it on my carry BW because i liked the way it felt in hand.

Also, I love the holster Rick made me for it, it is perfect.  I keep it in the hand pocket of my coat now that it is getting cold here. 8)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

RangerJim

Great review, Silverback ... and I love the pics (Doc and Warty, too)!  I really have to get some cvangs for my BW.  I love the original grip on mine--best feel ever!--but the boot grips and the cvangs just add something to the look.  And the cvangs, in particular, definitely feel great!  Looks like I'm ordering a set today.  Thanks, Warty.   ;)
So, making guns illegal will take them off the street?
Perfect!  We should probably make heroine and meth illegal, too!

silverback

Are those old style grips?   They look like they may be better than current grips.

RangerJim

Quote from: silverback on December-10-17 08:12
Are those old style grips?   They look like they may be better than current grips.
Yes, Silverback.  My BW is the old style, with original cylinder release and original grips.  These grips are (conservatively) 18.71 quintillion times better than the new grips.  They have a great texture and just feel thinner and so much better than the new bulbous, smooth, rubber grips.  They are virtually perfect.  If you can find a pair, I definitely recommend snatching them up!   8)

MtGoat

Quote from: RangerJim on December-10-17 08:12
Yes, Silverback.  My BW is the old style, with original cylinder release and original grips.  These grips are (conservatively) 18.71 quintillion times better than the new grips.  They have a great texture and just feel thinner and so much better than the new bulbous, smooth, rubber grips.  They are virtually perfect.  If you can find a pair, I definitely recommend snatching them up!   8)

So does that round up to 19 quintillion times better or 20 quintillion times better?  ;D

I am actually looking for a set in pink as I want to give my daughter one of my mini's and agree they do feel much better in the hand.
I could have had a set of black grips but didn't want to pay a premium for a WELL used gun with the grips on it.
I tried to just buy the grips but once he knew I was interested all was lost....danged Pawn Shops. ::)

Pat

RangerJim

Just saw your other post about the pink grips for your daughter.  Happy hunting, and good luck!   ;D

RangerJim

... oh, and I don't round up past 2 decimal points.  After all, I don't want to exaggerate!   ;)

Bigbird48

I agree any thing over 18.71 is exaggerating ;D

Quote from: RangerJim on December-10-17 09:12
... oh, and I don't round up past 2 decimal points.  After all, I don't want to exaggerate!   ;)

silverback

Quote from: MtGoat on December-10-17 09:12
Quote from: RangerJim on December-10-17 08:12

So does that round up to 19 quintillion times better or 20 quintillion times better?  ;D

I am actually looking for a set in pink as I want to give my daughter one of my mini's and agree they do feel much better in the hand.
I could have had a set of black grips but didn't want to pay a premium for a WELL used gun with the grips on it.
I tried to just buy the grips but once he knew I was interested all was lost....danged Pawn Shops. ::)

Pat

Something else for me to try to hunt down.   Thanks.

MtGoat

Quote from: RangerJim on December-10-17 09:12

;D ;D ;D ;D :o ;D ;D ;D ;D

Pat

grayelky

MrMurl-
If you are confident your Bride is going to like your BW, order a pair, with consecutive serial numbers. Most distributors don't charge extra for getting them like that. I just think is nice to have.

silverback-
Those are the old style grips on Ranger Jim BW. Several on here prefer them, including me. Look closely at the cylinder pin. His gun is an older variation, which has not been back to the factory since it left. At no charge, they will cut the slot under the barrel and install the new style cylinder pin.

grayelky

WOW! Seven replies since I started typing my post from above!