Sandy's Soapbox is Up

Started by MtGoat, December-04-17 17:12

Previous topic - Next topic

MtGoat

Truer words were never spoken.

It makes a good read and I recommend taking a look.

Pat

Warthog

Thanks Pat, I will take a look at it!
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

theysayimnotme

I'm not so sure. I think maybe some of the girls I took to the drive-in-movies back in the 50s might say otherwise. What some call sexual harassment now was called making out then & before that it was called spooning. Of course I'm not talking about forcing yourself on someone but no girl wanted to be thought of as "easy". So any amount of sexual activity took a bit of persistence.
Nowadays they are trying to say you have to have a signed consent form perhaps even from your wife. Almost glad I'm too old to have to worry about that anymore.

grayelky

Finally, Sandy actually got on his soap box and bitched about something! As might be expected, nicely written with well chosen words. Way to go!
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

PaducahMichael

Quote from: theysayimnotme on December-04-17 19:12
I'm not so sure. I think maybe some of the girls I took to the drive-in-movies back in the 50s might say otherwise. What some call sexual harassment now was called making out then & before that it was called spooning. Of course I'm not talking about forcing yourself on someone but no girl wanted to be thought of as "easy". So any amount of sexual activity took a bit of persistence.
Nowadays they are trying to say you have to have a signed consent form perhaps even from your wife. Almost glad I'm too old to have to worry about that anymore.

Yeah - Almost......
"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

redhawk4

Quote from: theysayimnotme on December-04-17 19:12

The other aspect I find strange about many of these cases is how, and why, some women felt the need to comply with what was being asked of  them. Much of the hollywood harassment seems to have come about because you have dirty pervert men with no morals or empathy for the women they abuse, combined with such a desire to be in the movies, make a pop recording or be a news presenter, that thy feel pressured to do what is being asked. Perhaps there is some moral confusion too. The nearest I could equate the women's position too would be if my boss was a homosexual and wanted me to perform sexual acts on him, or let him do it to me,  for some career or monetary benefit, in which case there would be a two word answer of which one would be "off" and being worried about losing my job would be the last thing on my mind. I realise that for women there may be more physical fear involved, but  I still find it to be rather like blackmail, someone cannot extort something from you, unless they have something you really want/need in return.

I was watching a TV show earlier and the man asked the lady if it would be OK if he kissed her, it was already pretty obvious that she wanted him too. This led me to consider that if trying to kiss someone is now classed as sexual assault/harassment then how long before asking sweetly as this guy did would be classed as the same, because either occurring when the other party doesn't want it  to will be interpreted as distressing that person.

There are also too many cases in the news where women get really drunk and then claim they didn't give consent. Obviously rapes take place under such circumstances and that's deplorable, but at the same time women get drunk and due to losing their inhibitions do things they perhaps may not in normal circumstances, they may even be the ones to initiate such things, but as I know from personal experience from my youth, it's possible to do all sorts of things when drunk that you will have no memory of after the event, you usually hear about it from your so called friends later who found it very amusing. Like you I'm glad I'm too old and happily married to be concerned with such things, but it seems as a young man playing the field these days you are very vulnerable to accusations that could put you behind bars and ruin your life.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

RogueTS1

Let's not forget that these Hollywood women do not have a job they may lose if not accommodating the producer etc. They want to get a job from said man and part of that job is often doing on film what they are asking for them to do. Their decision is not; do this or my livelihood may be gone. Their decision is do this or I may not break into big money and stardom. Big difference in my opinion. Hence why I have such a low opinion of "Thespians" and the culture they live in as a general rule.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

LHB

Well, I will get flamed for this, but while in college, I read a statement that all women (I think men also) are prostitutes, it's just that the price varies, depending on the woman.  The writer mentioned, for some a drink in a bar, some a dinner and a show, and for some a wedding band.

Uncle_Lee

I didn't go to college but I know that everyone is prostitutes.
When you start making money/earning a living, you sell your body to someone else for a period of time every day.
Even if you own your own business you sell your self to the customer.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Bj

Seems like a new definition of prostitute here.

boone123

LHB

No BJ, there is a difference between a prostitute and a whore.

keithd

Well said Sandy  definitely right on the mark. It is amazing what passes for news these days, when there are so many more important issues. It would be nice in this season if the news would try reporting on some of the good going on in the world.
Ranger II EB
Wasp
Black Widow

lign

Sandy's comments are so apropos. So humorous, and so completely on target. I tried to comment but the website wouldn't let me. My goodness gracious he had me rolling on the floor. What a timely, pithy, concise assessment/condemnation of our nation's feel-good politically-correct zeitgeist!!!

Shame, shame, shame, shame. On all the late-comers and Me-Too-er's!!!

Let's get On with Reality.

Sandy

... and now, a celebrity chef (Mario Batali)!  OMG!!  I'm breathless and have a desperate need to learn more - please tell me!

What garbage.  It may not be "fake" but it's certainly not "news".  Just stop it.

MtGoat

Quote from: Sandy on December-11-17 17:12
... and now, a celebrity chef (Mario Batali)!  OMG!!  I'm breathless and have a desperate need to learn more - please tell me!

What garbage.  It may not be "fake" but it's certainly not "news".  Just stop it.

Who?
Don't care, if he broke the law the police should deal with it.

On to important news...how are the fire fighters in California doing.
How are the troops stationed overseas doing?
Report on the important news of the day.

Pat

WECSOG

This subject came up because a former judge in Alabama was running for office and some members of his own party were afraid he would not go along with their "old boy" network, so they stepped up their attacks against him that had been ongoing for years.
So, why did these women suddenly come out of the woodwork to make claims against him, when they had never done so during the previous 30+ years of his life as a public figure?
I don't know this for a fact, but I live just a short drive from Gadsden and have heard that some local ads were run in the area offering up to 7 thousand dollars to anyone who came forward with some "dirt" against him. Just something to think about.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"