I must be getting old

Started by smokeless joe, December-09-17 09:12

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeless joe

So I went to the gun show today to see if they had anything I couldn't live without. I walked around the place just browsing and chatting with the merchants when I came across an NAA 22 short. It was used but seemed like it was in decent shape so I asked what was the best he could do on it. $165 bucks and he'd throw in a box of ammo. I thought that sounded fair so I purchased it to add to the collection. When I got home I'm looking it over and realized it wasn't a short at all but a lr. I looked at my receipt and they even wrote it up as a 22 short. No big deal but now I have a box of 22 short ammo that I cannot shoot. Guess next gun show I'll find a short to go with my ammo 😄 I'm not sure how old it is but the cylinder does not have the safety notches in it like the rest of my minis. That doesn't bother me either as I don't plan to carry this with me. I did go online and ordered a new set of grips because the ones on it are plastic and have a couple of cracks in them. Can't have that now can we ;)

Here's a pic of the new addition.

cedarview kid

Haha, still a great acquisition. Don't feel bad about adding another NAA!

BTW, you can still shoot the .22-Short in it.

smokeless joe

Quote from: naa_collector on December-09-17 10:12
Haha, still a great acquisition. Don't feel bad about adding another NAA!

BTW, you can still shoot the .22-Short in it.
Nah I don't feel bad at all. Do you have any idea when they added the safety notches in the cylinders? This is a Provo Utah Model.

zburkett

Joe, shorts shoot fine in LR cylinders.  I did it often before CCI came out with their "Quite 22".  I hope making mistakes like that are the worst I do now I'm getting up there.

zburkett

BTW what logo is on your new/old mini?

cedarview kid

Quote from: smokeless joe on December-09-17 10:12
Nah I don't feel bad at all. Do you have any idea when they added the safety notches in the cylinders? This is a Provo Utah Model.

Joe, not only is that a Provo model, but I think it's an "Old Provo" model. Like, before Spanish Fork. The grips are different. Those are the same type of grips NAA used when they were in California. SInce you say it was a Provo model, it had to be one of the first ones they made.

I forget the exact history, but I think it was Provo, Spanish Fork, Newbury Park CA, and then back to Provo. I believe you have a model from the first Provo. The little ramp on the top of the grips, plus the fact that they are black, makes me think this. BTW, don't tighten the grips. Those old grips were brittle and often broke.

The safety slots weren't until sometime after the "second" Provo.

smokeless joe

Quote from: zburkett on December-09-17 10:12
BTW what logo is on your new/old mini?
Here you go.

Quote from: naa_collector on December-09-17 10:12
Joe, not only is that a Provo model, but I think it's an "Old Provo" model. Like, before Spanish Fork. The grips are different. Those are the same type of grips NAA used when they were in California. SInce you say it was a Provo model, it had to be one of the first ones they made.

I forget the exact history, but I think it was Provo, Spanish Fork, Newbury Park CA, and then back to Provo. I believe you have a model from the first Provo. The little ramp on the top of the grips, plus the fact that they are black, makes me think this. BTW, don't tighten the grips. Those old grips were brittle and often broke.

The safety slots weren't until sometime after the "second" Provo.
Cool thanks for the info. The plastic grips already have little cracks in them so I will try not to do any more damage to them. One reason why I went ahead and ordered a new set from NAA.

zburkett

In any case, really nice find.  Merry Christmas.

cedarview kid

Quote from: smokeless joe on December-09-17 11:12
Cool thanks for the info. The plastic grips already have little cracks in them so I will try not to do any more damage to them. One reason why I went ahead and ordered a new set from NAA.

Yeah, that IS a nice find. That one has the patent marking, so it's definiltely an old one. I have just one mini with that marking. I had some issues with it, so I took it into NAA for repair and asked specifically to make sure they didn't buff that out. It's a cool addition for a collector.

BTW, I don't know if new grips from NAA will fit it without modification. I do know that the current .22-Short grips will NOT fit the old minis with the "ramped" grips. I don't know about the .22LR ones. There's a chance it might not. My .22-Short grips were cracked badly, but I was lucky and was able to find a set of original wooden grips for it.

smokeless joe

Quote from: naa_collector on December-09-17 12:12
Quote from: smokeless joe on December-09-17 11:12

Yeah, that IS a nice find. That one has the patent marking, so it's definiltely an old one. I have just one mini with that marking. I had some issues with it, so I took it into NAA for repair and asked specifically to make sure they didn't buff that out. It's a cool addition for a collector.

BTW, I don't know if new grips from NAA will fit it without modification. I do know that the current .22-Short grips will NOT fit the old minis with the "ramped" grips. I don't know about the .22LR ones. There's a chance it might not. My .22-Short grips were cracked badly, but I was lucky and was able to find a set of original wooden grips for it.
Well that would stink. Maybe with a little mod I could make them work. If not I'll go on the hunt for some originals.

Warthog

Nice grab Joe.  I don't have one from Provo before Spanish Fork, only the other ones.  Shorts work fine in a LR Mini and I shoot them in mine now and then too.  Sometimes I think it is easier on me, especially now that it is cold and shooting outdoors.  I find the shorts sort of fun too, makes for easier follow ups and easier shooting in general.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

smokeless joe

Quote from: Warty62 on December-09-17 12:12
Nice grab Joe.  I don't have one from Provo before Spanish Fork, only the other ones.  Shorts work fine in a LR Mini and I shoot them in mine now and then too.  Sometimes I think it is easier on me, especially now that it is cold and shooting outdoors.  I find the shorts sort of fun too, makes for easier follow ups and easier shooting in general.
Thanks warty. Hard to get one up in that collection you've got. The guy I bought it from appears to be a pawn broker looking at his business card. Guess I got lucky.

Warthog

Well, you know who will be willing if you ever want to let it go.  ;)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

smokeless joe

Quote from: Warty62 on December-09-17 12:12
Well, you know who will be willing if you ever want to let it go.  ;)
I'll keep that in mind buddy ;)

Warthog

Great, I know you will too.  :)
-Albert Einstein

LHB

"I forget the exact history, but I think it was Provo, Spanish Fork, Newbury Park CA, and then back to Provo."  is not correct.   I think that Rocky Mountain Arms started in Salt Lake City, then sold to become NAA Corp, and moved to Newbury Park CA, then to Provo, Spanish Fork, sold to Sandy to become NAA Inc, and then back to Provo.  I think that Bubba that has done some history on NAA, and posted it.

My earliest NAA is a short, with the outside/upper locking bolt, and is from Newbury Park, then comes the improved short with the internal bolt, then the LR, then to Provo, as NAA Corp. some from Spanish Fork, and then Provo as NAA Inc.

smokeless joe

So if I wanted to have this looked over NAA would do so? Not that I think anything is wrong with it but maybe just to make sure that it's in optimum working condition.

RangerJim

Quote from: smokeless joe on December-09-17 14:12
So if I wanted to have this looked over NAA would do so? Not that I think anything is wrong with it but maybe just to make sure that it's in optimum working condition.

Yeah, Joe.  I think they would not only look it over, but possibly--based on the serial number--even tell you where/when it was made.  Either way, that is definitely a very cool find!  Enjoy!   :D
So, making guns illegal will take them off the street?
Perfect!  We should probably make heroine and meth illegal, too!

Warthog

Yeah, they will check it for you Joe.  I have never had a problem with any of my older ones.

They can tell you when it was made bt serial number too.  As I said, way back on the old forum there was a very nice lady, who has since left, who organized all of my minis, told me when they were made and all of the models as they were when made.  She sent me a spread sheet and every time there was a new gun to get on an early bird, she would add it to my spread sheet and send it to me again.  She was a great lady and I miss her.
-Albert Einstein

redhawk4

Well I hope when I get old, the worst mistake is buying another NAA :) I think that's a pretty neat buy even if it turned out to be longer than you thought ;)
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

smokeless joe

Quote from: RangerJim on December-09-17 14:12
Yeah, Joe.  I think they would not only look it over, but possibly--based on the serial number--even tell you where/when it was made.  Either way, that is definitely a very cool find!  Enjoy!   :D
Maybe I'll give them a call Monday to inquire about it. If I decide to send it out their way I'll probsbly do so after they finish with the initial eb program. I don't want this little guy slowing down the important stuff 😄

Quote from: Warty62 on December-09-17 14:12
Yeah, they will check it for you Joe.  I have never had a problem with any of my older ones.

They can tell you when it was made bt serial number too.  As I said, way back on the old forum there was a very nice lady, who has since left, who organized all of my minis, told me when they were made and all of the models as they were when made.  She sent me a spread sheet and every time there was a new gun to get on an early bird, she would add it to my spread sheet and send it to me again.  She was a great lady and I miss her.
Good to know. I remember reading your post on that. It would be nice to have an idea of when it was made.

smokeless joe

Quote from: redhawk4 on December-09-17 14:12
Well I hope when I get old, the worst mistake is buying another NAA :) I think that's a pretty neat buy even if it turned out to be longer than you thought ;)
I know right??? I'm a happy camper either way long or short it's a nice addition to my small collection.

Dinadan

Wow, Joe. If I made a mistake like that I would laugh with joy! I did not see anyone else comment on it, but the cylinder on the revolver does not have safety notches. Another sure sign it is old. If you send it back to NAA to get checked out I am pretty sure than when it comes back it will have a new cylinder with safety notches, probably at no extra charge. But if you like the old cylinder, bear that in mind.

theysayimnotme

I was going to ask if they were plastic grips but you already said so. DO NOT tighten the grip screw. THEY WILL BREAK. If the new wood grips won't fit how about the rubber slip on grips? When the plastic grips broke on my previous one I simply wrapped the grip with electrical tape. I sold it long ago & don't remember if I ever replaced them.

smokeless joe

Quote from: Dinadan on December-09-17 16:12
Wow, Joe. If I made a mistake like that I would laugh with joy! I did not see anyone else comment on it, but the cylinder on the revolver does not have safety notches. Another sure sign it is old. If you send it back to NAA to get checked out I am pretty sure than when it comes back it will have a new cylinder with safety notches, probably at no extra charge. But if you like the old cylinder, bear that in mind.
I would prefer to keep it as is. It was inexpensive so buying it just to have it for my collection didn't bother me. I didn't realize that it was missing the safety notches until after the deal was done. So for what I paid I'm thinking I got a nice piece. If sending it back to the factory for a look over means losing the original cylinder then I'll just keep it here and keep it original.

Warthog

Heck, they may even put the rosewood grip on it if those are cracked.  If you aren't sending it back for the cylinder, shoot me you address in a PM and I will send you a set of rosewood grips for it since I seem to have a bunch of grips that will never be used. ;)
-Albert Einstein

smokeless joe

Quote from: Warty62 on December-09-17 17:12
Heck, they may even put the rosewood grip on it if those are cracked.  If you aren't sending it back for the cylinder, shoot me you address in a PM and I will send you a set of rosewood grips for it since I seem to have a bunch of grips that will never be used. ;)
Thanks warty. I ordered a set of grips from NAA after I got home, if they don't fit correctly and your offer still stands then I'll hit you up.

David Culp

[/quote]
I would prefer to keep it as is. It was inexpensive so buying it just to have it for my collection didn't bother me. I didn't realize that it was missing the safety notches until after the deal was done. So for what I paid I'm thinking I got a nice piece. If sending it back to the factory for a look over means losing the original cylinder then I'll just keep it here and keep it original.
[/quote]

Definitely ask them about the cylinder before you send it in. I'm sure you can get the safety cylinder but I'm not sure if they keep the original or send it back too

cedarview kid

Quote from: LHB on December-09-17 13:12

"I forget the exact history, but I think it was Provo, Spanish Fork, Newbury Park CA, and then back to Provo."  is not correct.   I think that Rocky Mountain Arms started in Salt Lake City, then sold to become NAA Corp, and moved to Newbury Park CA, then to Provo, Spanish Fork, sold to Sandy to become NAA Inc, and then back to Provo.  I think that Bubba that has done some history on NAA, and posted it.

My earliest NAA is a short, with the outside/upper locking bolt, and is from Newbury Park, then comes the improved short with the internal bolt, then the LR, then to Provo, as NAA Corp. some from Spanish Fork, and then Provo as NAA Inc.

Hmm. I don't know, that history I quoted above isn't quite making sense. I had a Newbury Park NAA with the hammer-actuated cylinder stop, just like yours, so that HAD to be before the one Joe found.Unless the one you're talking about came after Joe's. I don't know if that makes sense. Hmm I'm a little confused now. Maybe Joe's was AFTER Newbury Park.d

I don't know. Anybody for sure know the history of NAA? It's been too long and it's foggy in my brain now. I thought I was right, but I'm not so sure now.

Uncle_Lee

Kelly Blue Book

"Current manufacturer established circa 1976, and currently located in Provo, UT. Distributor and dealer sales.
North American Arms was originally founded under the name Rocky Mountain Arms circa 1974-1975 by noted handgun entrepreneur Dick Casull. During 1976-1977, the company's name was changed to North American Arms, and it became part of the Tally Corp. of Newbury Park, CA. North American Arms was relocated from Salt Lake City to Provo, UT in 1978, and moved again in 1984 to Spanish Fork, UT. During 1986-1987, Teleflex Corp., an aerospace company, bought North American Arms' parent company, the Tally Corp. In 1992, Teleflex decided to sell off the gunmaking company, and North American Arms was purchased by Sandy Chisholm, a Teleflex employee. The company relocated again in 1994 to Provo, UT."
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

smokeless joe

So are you thinking this may be one from around the 1978 time period Uncle_lee?
Quote from: uncle_lee on December-10-17 04:12
Kelly Blue Book

"Current manufacturer established circa 1976, and currently located in Provo, UT. Distributor and dealer sales.
North American Arms was originally founded under the name Rocky Mountain Arms circa 1974-1975 by noted handgun entrepreneur Dick Casull. During 1976-1977, the company's name was changed to North American Arms, and it became part of the Tally Corp. of Newbury Park, CA. North American Arms was relocated from Salt Lake City to Provo, UT in 1978, and moved again in 1984 to Spanish Fork, UT. During 1986-1987, Teleflex Corp., an aerospace company, bought North American Arms' parent company, the Tally Corp. In 1992, Teleflex decided to sell off the gunmaking company, and North American Arms was purchased by Sandy Chisholm, a Teleflex employee. The company relocated again in 1994 to Provo, UT."

Uncle_Lee

God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

smokeless joe

smokeless joe

One good thing about his little guy is it will be a replacement for my first mini that my pop had given me back in the early 80's. I remember him telling me to leave one chamber empty so the hammer could be rested there and safe to carry. I kept it for years and then sold it off so I could buy something else. I tried to but it back from the guy a few years later and he had lost it.

scbuxton

I can't wait until I get old like you, Joe! 8)