Trigger job

Started by CDR_Glock, February-03-18 15:02

Previous topic - Next topic

CDR_Glock

I am curious about polishing the internals of the NAA to make the revolver trigger feel smoother.

Has anyone performed a trigger job on their NAA revolver? 

Does that void the warranty?

scout

The lack of responses says that few have attempted.
I would call NAA and speak with a gunsmith to see what they recommend before doing anything.
I had an armorer years ago who simply pumped polishing compound into my S&W, dry fire it a few hundred times then flush it out with naptha. After it dried he added oil and said there you go!
It does still have a smooth pull. YMMV

Uncle_Lee

Too old now and the parts are too small for me to smooth.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

MikeV99

The trigger pull on my new Pug is extremely hard. My hands are almost shaking before it fires. Squeeze slowly and smoothly not. Will the trigger eventually get better? Do all the NAA minis have impossible triggers? I took the cylinder out and dry fired it for an hour. Could not find a grip that would give me a smooth pull. Index finger sore. I have changed out trigger groups on my other weapons, but did not find anything for the Pug?

jennflip

v99---these should not be dry fired--use spent casing or for LR cylinder, use the yellow wall hanger thingies---

zburkett

The trigger pull on my stock minis are not bad.  A trick I picked up shooting black powder repros is to pack them with white lithium grease which keeps them from loading up with powder residue.  It also soothes out the trigger pull. I did it on one of my minis and it does the same thing.

seaotter

I never noticed either of my minis having a particularly heavy triggers. And I really don't want a firearm that I pocket carry almost every day to have a light trigger!

MikeV99

I changed my grip, not the grip, to use the middle finger as the trigger finger. My index finger then goes down the barrel. Much better pull. I've only tried this with dry fire (no cylinder or spent shells) so it needs to tested on the range to make sure blow back from cylinder does not burn me. I hope it works since I like the way the Pug fits into my hand as well.

As aside, yellow thingys won't work in a magnum - too loose. Looking at some #8x10-1" to see how they will work. Dry fire without a cylinder is acceptable according to NAA.

The light trigger will only come into play when the hammer is cocked and needs to be fired. In that situation I want a smooth pull and no hesitation knowing the gun will effectively do its job. I wish my hands had had the courtesy not to age with the rest of my body, but alas, such is not the case. Each individual has their own circumstances and needs. I have done trigger mods on most of my other weapons.

JRobyn

I suspect that like every other firearm manufacturer, NAA is "sensitive" to (resists) any possible argument that their triggers should be lightened in any way.  I have certainly noticed that the newer models in my collection, the stiffer is the cocking and trigger pull.

That said, the way the main spring is assembled in NAAs should make it a really quick/simple/cheap local gunsmith job.  I believe that the side plate can stay in place (?)

bill_deshivs

Lots of bad information in this thread!

NEVER put any kind of abrasive in your action to smooth it-or for any other reason!

Wall anchors do nothing to protect your firing pin.

Reducing the mainspring tension is a great way to get misfires, but a terrible way to improve trigger pull.
The proper method is polishing bearing surfaces individually and precisely.

bill_deshivs

My opinion is based in fact. I have worked on guns for 45+ years.
Putting polishing compound in a gun's action is something that never should be done. It's "Bubba" gunsmithing at best, and unsafe at worst.
It's your gun and I don't care what you do with it, but advising others to do something stupid is irresponsible.

Canoeal

I am sorry for posting among the experts. I should not have gotten back on. It won't happen again.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

scout

Bill, Thanks for sharing some of your experience with us.
I did suggest that contacting NAA first was the best course of action.

As a 'smith, looking at these actions, do you see any way an 'amateur' could polish/stone a little to make his trigger pull better?

The police armorer who 'smoothed' my action told me he did this to all of department's revolvers. He installed a target hammer and trigger as well. I never had a problem with that gun until it got soaked in seawater for a few days - that rusted parts that were not nickled enough, and the mainspring fell apart when I opened it up. I have replaced all springs and it is working well now, just not as pretty!

The NAA 'firing pin' being a part of the hammer and as these are rim fires, how is a wall anchor not effective? I would think any surface with  a little yield would cushion the blow.  The OP did say that NAA had told him that dry fire w/o the cylinder was ok. The only snap caps I have seen for .22 were aluminum or plastic. Is there a better choice?

(Am I wrong to think that protecting the cylinder face under the rim is the main purpose of the snap cap with a .22,  preventing repetitive  strikes to the same area creating dents that will weaken the hammer blows effectiveness?)

Gobbletn

Quote from: Canoeal on March-25-18 20:03
I am sorry for posting among the experts. I should not have gotten back on. It won't happen again.

I don't see you had any reply??? What am I missing here???
Not sure why, but Dad always said "Shoot Straight" before every hunt

seaotter

[quote author=MikeV99 link

The light trigger will only come into place when the hammer is cocked and needs to be fired. In that situation I want a smooth pull and no hesitation knowing the gun will effectively do its job. I wish my hands had had the courtesy not to age with the rest of my body, but alas, such is not the case. Each individual has their own circumstances and needs. I have done trigger mods on most of my other weapons.
[/quote]

I had assumed that anything that lightened the trigger would also lessen the hammer pressure. I am alway a bit nervous about the hammer moving a bit and allowing the cylinder to rotate out from the safety notch. It has never happened to me, but I really need to get a new holster. The NAA/Desantis pocket holster doesn't cover the hammer at all!

jennflip

V99---I must be hallucinating--  I thought you said you were going to try using your middle finger to pull trigger with your fore finger alongside the barrel---before you do that hold a piece of paper near the front of the cylinder and fire a round and see what it does to the paper and how that will smart when that happens to your finger----you can lose a finger with some firearms by doing that!!!!

Boisesteve

What Bill said, and also what jenn said.
Those were real good advice.  If you decide to experiment otherwise, please let us know how it worked out!
Boise Steve

bill_deshivs

The NAA minis are easy to take apart, and polishing/stoning the parts would not be a problem for a competent gunsmith.
Putting the NAA guns back together is a royal pain in the butt.
I suggest contacting NAA and seeing what they offer.

JRobyn

Wow.  Me too Al.  Guess just being an engineer ain't quite up to the bar.

PaducahMichael

"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

MikeV99

Quote from: jennflip on March-26-18 08:03
V99---I must be hallucinating--  I thought you said you were going to try using your middle finger to pull trigger with your fore finger alongside the barrel---before you do that hold a piece of paper near the front of the cylinder and fire a round and see what it does to the paper and how that will smart when that happens to your finger----you can lose a finger with some firearms by doing that!!!!

Absolutely, I think I made a side comment I would have to check the cylinder blowback. I have also ordered a set of oversize BW grips. I am fighting a bone chip in my shooting hand, but really would like to see if I can find another hand grip that makes the squeeze a little more smooth.

Thank you very much though, I appreciate your and other concerns.

Canoeal

Quote from: Gobbletn on March-25-18 22:03

I don't see you had any reply??? What am I missing here???
Removed it, along with others I obviously didn't qualify to make...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

bill_deshivs

Don't get butt hurt. If I see someone giving bad advice, I'll always call them on it.

lefty dude

If you ever send your Mini to NAA for service, etc. ask them to do an action job on the piece. They will not reduce the hammer tension, but will smooth the internals if you ask. I had my Companion repaired, and it came back with a much smoother action. It only takes them a few extra minutes while the piece is apart.
With the short throw and less weight of the Hammer it needs all the power it can get to set off the rim fire primer. Do not mess with the hammer spring tension.

Canoeal

Quote from: bill_deshivs on March-27-18 10:03
Don't get butt hurt. If I see someone giving bad advice, I'll always call them on it.

The third time is a charm. To quote heyjoe: "Have a nice day".

Uncle_Lee

Quote from: MikeV99 on March-26-18 14:03
Quote from: jennflip on March-26-18 08:03

Absolutely, I think I made a side comment I would have to check the cylinder blowback. I have also ordered a set of oversize BW grips. I am fighting a bone chip in my shooting hand, but really would like to see if I can find another hand grip that makes the squeeze a little more smooth.

Thank you very much though, I appreciate your and other concerns.

Cvang grips. They also keep your middle finger out from behind the trigger. Just like the oversize BW grips.
I found out that with regular birds head or boot style grips, my middle finger is behind the trigger and when I pull the trigger it mashes into that finger making trigger pull really hard. Hurts the finger also.
God, Country, & Flag

MikeV99

Uncle_lee,

Which cvang do you recommend?

Uncle_Lee

Quote from: MikeV99 on March-28-18 10:03
Uncle_lee,

Which cvang do you recommend?

For every day carry I would go with black or white plastic.
I haven't seen any of the new ones.

God, Country, & Flag

MikeV99

I installed the BW oversize grip on the Pug. Wow, what a difference. Allows the index finger to not be cramped by the middle finger. Much better. No problem getting the Hogue off; just used HOT soapy water in the sink to work it off. I have attached some pics showing the difference in size between the two grips. I like the way the finger grips position the hand. Had to order another for my wife.

Canoeal

Quote from: bill_deshivs on March-25-18 19:03
My opinion is based in fact. I have worked on guns for 45+ years.
Putting polishing compound in a gun's action is something that never should be done. It's "Bubba" gunsmithing at best, and unsafe at worst.
It's your gun and I don't care what you do with it, but advising others to do something stupid is irresponsible.
45+ years and you still believe the FBI tested 25 acps in their 1968 test...I guess even you can get stuff wrong...Come down off that horse...

http://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=14693.70

bill_deshivs

I get things wrong occasionally. This is not one of those things: The .25 acp will penetrate 12 inches of ballistic gel.
But putting polishing compounds in pistol actions is just plain stupid. You can round off sear engagement surfaces. This makes the gun unsafe.
Polishing compound can also embed in steel and cause excessive wear. It's just plain stupid.
Why not ask NAA what they think about it?

Canoeal

Did you not read I cleaned it and oiled it and have put 1100 rounds through it since? It is fine. I just said what I did; where do you read the encouragement? It was not there.

boone123

I would think if you used enough compound to make the sear notch smooth , by the time you got that done that  the rest of the moving parts would be a sloppy fit. Just my thoughts.
I have done improved trigger pulls on guns with fine stones, and caution. Its worked every time.

cbl51

Here's a novel idea; oil it up real good and shoot the ever lovin dog poo outa it!

It's worked for me for many years.

Canoeal

If and when I can get to a range I will. It will be while before THAT happens. Surgery on my foot is scheduled for Tuesday.