New member. Can't decide between 22 mag and 22 lr.

Started by oughtsix, May-06-18 21:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruger

WELCOME to the Forum Six!  Looking forward to you jumping in the fray with your questions, comments, opinions, and, of course, pictures.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

Kevin55

Quote from: oughtsix on May-08-18 13:05
Quote from: top dog on May-08-18 05:05
By the way,when will you be getting your second and third mini??  They tend to "multiply".

Top Dog

I couldn't decide so I started with two right out of the gate!  The 22 lr 1 1/8 and 22 mag 1 5/8.  I am really like what I see in the Ranger II.... very tempting!  Just have to find one... and hopefully for a decent price.
That is the right choice. 
I have the 22lr with 1-1/8 inch barrel. I find the stock grip impossible to hold.  I now have the holster grip on it. It's easier to shoot, but seems bulky.  The CVang grip seems ideal. Just enough to add one more finger.

There are ballistics on the 22mag barrel lengths.  Look for "ballistics by the inch" and the ballistics page on the NAA website.   Shorter than 1-5/8 seems like a waste. Unfortunately the barrel length choices in California are 1-1/8 or 4".

oughtsix

I just oredered a .22 mag Sidewinder with 2.5" barrel from the local super sportinggoods store.

bearcatter

Should I decide buy a mini in the future, NAA made it tougher. I'd likely prefer the Ranger or Sidewinder. You have to buy the WMR model and add the LR cylinder. If they were available in LR alone, I might have already bought one.

For me, a mini would be more of a fun piece at the range. For protection, I'd just load Velocitors, Stingers, whatever; in a LR Ranger or Sidewinder for more practical reload. WMR doesn't give you much extra in a very short barrel, but empties your wallet a lot faster.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Canoeal

Quote from: bearcatter on June-02-18 08:06
Should I decide buy a mini in the future, NAA made it tougher. I'd likely prefer the Ranger or Sidewinder. You have to buy the WMR model and add the LR cylinder. If they were available in LR alone, I might have already bought one.

For me, a mini would be more of a fun piece at the range. For protection, I'd just load Velocitors, Stingers, whatever; in a LR Ranger or Sidewinder for more practical reload. WMR doesn't give you much extra in a very short barrel, but empties your wallet a lot faster.

Actually the mags do give you more bang for your buck. The 15/8 22lr velocity is about 735 fps and 44FPE of energy. (average) The 15/8 Mag is 950 fps and 80 fpe. In mine, the BW, 850 fps and 56 fps for 22 lr; but 1150 fps and 117 FPE. What that translates to in penetration is a lot. Not telling you what you need, just it does have to enter into the thought process, at least it did for me.
It is the same reason I didn't choose a Pug.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

billmeek

WMR doesn't give you much extra in a very short barrel, but empties your wallet a lot faster.

For carry, I buy the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 22 WMR.  The faster burning powder makes a significant difference in the energy.  Yes, they're more expensive.  I don't try go cheap on carry ammo.  I get the best ammo I can locate.  I paid about 31 cents per round for them and shoot the 5 in the cylinder each time I go to the range to shoot the NAAs.  I then fire any target ammo.  When I'm done for the day, I load up 5 fresh Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel.  I like cycling the ammo in my carry pistols on a regular basis.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Canoeal

Quote from: billmeek on June-02-18 21:06
WMR doesn't give you much extra in a very short barrel, but empties your wallet a lot faster.

For carry, I buy the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 22 WMR.  The faster burning powder makes a significant difference in the energy.  Yes, they're more expensive.  I don't try go cheap on carry ammo.  I get the best ammo I can locate.  I paid about 31 cents per round for them and shoot the 5 in the cylinder each time I go to the range to shoot the NAAs.  I then fire any target ammo.  When I'm done for the day, I load up 5 fresh Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel.  I like cycling the ammo in my carry pistols on a regular basis.

I do exactly the same. BW with Gold Dots for carry recycle at the range. $13.50 a box last time, I bought 4...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

WECSOG

Not according to my chrono. In my 1-5/8" Magnum, the 40 grain CCI Gold Dot short barrel load does about 925 fps. In the same gun, regular CCI 40 grain Maxi Mag hollow points do 1000 fps.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

SteveZ-FL

What WMR in the short barrel (I have a 11/8 WMR) is an unbeliebably loud report and  (in darkness) about a foot of flash from the barrel end.  In an SP situation the shock value to to person at the wrong end of the barrel has value.  The punch may not be that much greater than .22lr Stinger, but the impact on the eyes and ears is.
...SteveZ

"...you never need a gun until you need it badly" - from WEB Griffin's The Honor of Spies, and Victory and Honor.

Canoeal

Quote from: WECSOG on June-03-18 05:06

Not according to my chrono. In my 1-5/8" Magnum, the 40 grain CCI Gold Dot short barrel load does about 925 fps. In the same gun, regular CCI 40 grain Maxi Mag hollow points do 1000 fps.
I was generalizing based on the Ballistic charts from NAA. Yeah Gold Dots are better for SD, because Maxi Mags will not expand from a handgun, and throw a 2' flame to boot, disrupting the bullet in some cases.
The point I was making was the difference between 22lr and 22mag in the same sized barreled guns, and yes, no matter what rounds you use, the 22 mag is significantly more powerful; look at the FPE numbers. FPE and bullet weight factor into penetration.

WECSOG

Quote from: Canoeal on June-03-18 09:06
Quote from: WECSOG on June-03-18 05:06

I was generalizing based on the Ballistic charts from NAA. Yeah Gold Dots are better for SD, because Maxi Mags will not expand from a handgun, and throw a 2' flame to boot, disrupting the bullet in some cases.
The point I was making was the difference between 22lr and 22mag in the same sized barreled guns, and yes, no matter what rounds you use, the 22 mag is significantly more powerful; look at the FPE numbers. FPE and bullet weight factor into penetration.
That they do, and I prefer .22 Mag over LR for carry.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

Uncle Fatso

Should have just bought the 1 5/8" magnum with a 22LR cylinder.

Trade the 22LR you have in on a Black Widow with both cylinders.