Range Day Pics

Started by smokeless joe, May-31-18 16:05

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeless joe

Well we all share a love of firearms and we all love pictures. It seems quite a few of us hit the range often so let's see some range day pics. I know I've posted this pic before but I figured I'd get things started with this one.

billmeek

Hate to say it, but when on the range the last thing on my mind is taking pictures as I'm really not that much of a photo bug.  Heck, I consider myself doing good if I remember all the stuff I just need to shoot.  I will try to think of taking some photos the next time I shoot the minis.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

smokeless joe

Quote from: billmeek on May-31-18 17:05
Hate to say it, but when on the range the last thing on my mind is taking pictures as I'm really not that much of a photo bug.  Heck, I consider myself doing good if I remember all the stuff I just need to shoot.  I will try to think of taking some photos the next time I shoot the minis.
Shooting pics counts as shooting ;)

smokeless joe

I take pics all the time. Easy nowadays with these smart phones. Glad they weren't around when I was young and stupid.

Ranger and Ruger day

Ruger

I built a couple of these tables that fold up for use on the range.  I primarily use them at my own range, but a local public range I have used has no such tables, just std. dirt mound backstops, with no place to load or keep your toys out of the mud.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

Ruger

As I was wandering through my photos, I also came across the backstop I constructed for my range.  It is eight feet wide, 5 feet tall, and has 1.75 miles of woods behind it.  The dirt fill measures about 3.5 feet, with the back of the stop as shown with the wood, brick, and steel plates.  7.62 x 39 at 50 yds has yet to show its face out the back.

Ruger

And my beautiful wife at the range during her CCW class ~2012.

Warthog

Can't wait to hit the range.  Good stuff folks!
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

linux_author

hey folks, we finally got to dry out some after Alberto blew through, so I hit the range across the street for a little double-action fun:

(actually, it doesn't matter if it's raining or not, as it's an indoor range - best I can do 'round these parts - but the air conditioning sure is nice)

:)

willie
on the hot and humid Gulf of Mexico

billmeek

I just home from spending over 4 hours at the range shooting my 22 rifle and forgot to take a single photo.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

linux_author

Quote from: billmeek on June-01-18 12:06
I just home from spending over 4 hours at the range shooting my 22 rifle and forgot to take a single photo.

bring any targets home? i always bring my targets home to show to my 88yr-old father-in-law, who i then enlist to help me clean my weapons - keeps him interested (he used to target shoot, too)

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

billmeek

No targets brought home.  I was mostly getting DOPE (Data Observed from Previous Engagements) on my rifle after changing ammo that would feed more reliably and shooting steel.  The dope shots were at Caldwell Orange Peel 8" Sight-In Targets which were left on the target stands.  The range might get a little upset if I were to bring the steel targets home. <grin>

CCI Standard Velocity was very accurate out of the Savage B22 FV-SR, but needed to be cleaned in less than 50 rounds to extract consistently.  Not something I want to do during a match.  I switched over to Geco Match 22 and haven't had a single extraction issue in over a brick of ammo with no cleaning.  I did have to get all of the CCI SV "gunk" out of the barrel before the Geco would group well.
Bill

linux_author

Quote from: billmeek on June-01-18 16:06
The dope shots were at Caldwell Orange Peel 8" Sight-In Targets

hey, i use those! (well, the circular ones)

i shot Fiocchi, Speer Gold Dots, and CCI TNT Maxi-Mags today... i was very disappointed that two Fiocchi rounds failed to fire (but did on second hits)

range time is good... i'm happy for another couple days... but i'm already looking forward to my next outing!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

smokeless joe

Nice set up Ruger. Wish I could have something like that. One day I'm hoping.

ray

nice ruger how far from house

Ruger

Quote from: ray on June-02-18 06:06
nice ruger how far from house

I walk out my back garage door some 30 yards to the 90 yard mark; but I like to shoot at the 75 yard mark more often. Obviously a little farther when I set up for handguns.  I mostly shoot steel, unless I'm trying to sight in a firearm, then it is paper.

Bj

Nothing special, 4"x4"x4' stacked in U shape, about half of U filled with dirt, held together with scrap OSB.

smokeless joe

Yeah I still have to drive (for now) to the range but it's kind of a ritual for me. I go to breakfast and then head to the range. If I'm just shooting handguns I'll take the bike. Makes for a nice ride. When I'm playing with the AR I take the truck.
This was a truck day...

ray

posted this for uncle lee he always had good to say for my  old guns. took 3 out 22 22m back one 44 years old  middle 22 62 years old front my bw 22 22m 6 months old it did what i bought it for 4hits out5 on caps at 10ft. dont think he saw the back one.

linux_author

hey folks - another good day at the range... broke in a stainless mouse (i now call my pair 'Salt and Pepper'):

i also had a box of 13-year-old Winchester .380ACP FMJ flat nose, so i used it up on a break in of a recent impulse buy (the last five of the initial 12 rounds was a 1.5" group - took 7 rounds to get used to the pistol, which shot POA out of the box):

the Winchester did OK in my book:

it's great to hit the range after a nice breakfast!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

smokeless joe

Quote from: linux_author on June-05-18 14:06
it's great to hit the range after a nice breakfast!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
Everything's better after a good breakfast. Nice guns and nice shooting willie.

linux_author

nice thread! lots of fun to see other folks' range time pictures! i only have a 'dumb phone' and usually go solo, so i can't take pics of where i shoot...

and while it's nice to have an indoor range, i think it'd be a lot of fun to shoot outdoors

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Ruger

Quote from: linux_author on June-06-18 09:06. . . . while it's nice to have an indoor range, i think it'd be a lot of fun to shoot outdoors . . . .

Indoors if I have to, Outdoors 'cause I want to.

smokeless joe

Quote from: Ruger on June-06-18 11:06
Indoors if I have to, Outdoors 'cause I want to.
Exactly!!! Indoor range is much closer but I prefer the outdoor range any day.

Here's one from only 50 yards with iron sights. I'm happy with that cause it's tough for these old eyes to see that far any more. I'll get a scope one of these days and take some longer shots.

linux_author

scope? laser? red dot? what are those?

nice shootin'!

willie
on the 'iron sights all the way' Gulf of Mexico

Ruger

Quote from: smokeless joe on June-06-18 17:06. . . . . . Here's one from only 50 yards with iron sights. I'm happy with that cause it's tough for these old eyes to see that far any more. . . . . . . .

Maybe so, but it isn't going to be 50 yards if it every counts.

smokeless joe

Quote from: Ruger on June-07-18 04:06
Quote from: smokeless joe on June-06-18 17:06. . . . . . Here's one from only 50 yards with iron sights. I'm happy with that cause it's tough for these old eyes to see that far any more. . . . . . . .

Maybe so, but it isn't going to be 50 yards if it every counts.
Good point!

smokeless joe

Put a couple rounds thru the RII today. No issues. Mine seems to prefer the Hornady ammo.

linux_author

wife unit went to the range with me this week... turns out she likes double-action and shoots more accurately that way..

go figure...

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

cfsharry

Smokeless,
Good group with iron sights at 50 yds.
My long guns all have optics, (scope or red dot), as I don't see iron sights very well.

smokeless joe

Quote from: linux_author on June-07-18 03:06
scope? laser? red dot? what are those?

nice shootin'!

willie
on the 'iron sights all the way' Gulf of Mexico
Thanks iron sights willie ;)

Quote from: cfsharry on June-30-18 10:06
Smokeless,
Good group with iron sights at 50 yds.
My long guns all have optics, (scope or red dot), as I don't see iron sights very well.
Thanks Harry... yeah that 50 yards is my limit. I'll get some kind of optics for it eventually. Just gotta find that fine line of affordability and quality before I "pull the trigger" so to speak.

linux_author

i think i remember spending $15 for the 4x scope for my plinking/squirrel rifle back in the day...

looked at some of the red dots at the LGS a couple months ago and nearly dropped a fishcake in my shorts - no way am i gonna spent that much...

willie
on the 'paint those sights' Gulf of Mexico

smokeless joe

Quote from: linux_author on July-01-18 04:07
i think i remember spending $15 for the 4x scope for my plinking/squirrel rifle back in the day...

looked at some of the red dots at the LGS a couple months ago and nearly dropped a fishcake in my shorts - no way am i gonna spent that much...

willie
on the 'paint those sights' Gulf of Mexico
Yeah they can be a bit pricy. I bought a cheap red dot off eBay and it survived two trips to the range before it fell apart. I ended up sending it back for a refund. Same thing happened with a scope I got from amazon. The scope made one trip to the range and then got sent back. I'll save a couple bucks here and there and get something decent but not too expensive. Just enough to get me to the 200 yard mark at the range.

billmeek

If you want a decent 3MOA red-dot for a 22 rifle without breaking the bank, take a look at the Bushnell TRS-25:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00200E0HM/

I've got one on a M&P 15/22 that I've put thousands of rounds through without issue.  Many of those were at a high rate of fire (25 rounds in a couple of seconds).

I spent a lot more on the red dot for my S&W Victory pistol as I bought the Vortex Venom 3 MOA:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/venom-red-dot-3-moa-dot

The Vortex is pricey, but a much lighter, smaller, and better optic for a pistol. 
Bill

smokeless joe

Quote from: billmeek on July-01-18 12:07
If you want a decent 3MOA red-dot for a 22 rifle without breaking the bank, take a look at the Bushnell TRS-25:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00200E0HM/

I've got one on a M&P 15/22 that I've put thousands of rounds through without issue.  Many of those were at a high rate of fire (25 rounds in a couple of seconds).

I spent a lot more on the red dot for my S&W Victory pistol as I bought the Vortex Venom 3 MOA:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/venom-red-dot-3-moa-dot

The Vortex is pricey, but a much lighter, smaller, and better optic for a pistol.
I was actually contemplating that. Had it saved to a list on amazon. My s&w might have a bit more kick tho.