Range Day Pics

Started by smokeless joe, May-31-18 16:05

Previous topic - Next topic

linux_author

Quote from: bearcatter on August-17-19 10:08
You said the trigger on the .357 SP101 is pretty smooth. Any of yours have the lighter Wolff springs? I put them in my two SPs, 2.25 inch .357 and the newer 8 round .22. Made a very nice improvement in both trigger pull and cocking effort. I used the middle option of each kit's three mainsprings, and the only trigger spring in the kit.

- i did use the Wollf springs in my SP101 .22LR (hammer and trigger), and i *think* also my Wiley Clapp .357 (hammer only, didn't mess around with the trigger)... i think i was, like you, conservative in the pull weight (didn't want any light-striking action)

btw, the Wiley Clapp Ruger frame/trigger assembly was machined with such tight tolerances that i had a devil of a time doing a first-time break-down for cleaning... i used a rubber mallet and bamboo dowel to get it apart

can't remember about my found-used SP101 .357... IIRC, it was good-to-go as found (with the exception of the slight fix for chamber clearance on one cylinder), and disassembled easily for first-time use... i think the original owner only put a few cylinders through it - it was in that good a shape... one of my best used-gun purchases...

the Ruger wheelgun is mighty fine... i'll never again buy a Smith unless it's old-style... i made that mistake with my 317 kit gun, and immediately put in a lock-delete and threw away the lock mechanism and key (it's not a collector's item and i don't give a romeo-alpha 'bout weapons in general - none of 'em are shelf queens, and that includes my pristine FN Browning High Power... i keep 'em clean, but not 'Marine-clean'...

i have a couple old Colt .357s, which are even better than Smiths (IMHO), so i'm good on low-caliber (.357 and lower) wheelguns...

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

linux_author

since it's Wheelgun Wednesday i can't post in that thread, but did want to post a target from an outing this morning... my neighbor Bob and I were both running 9mm semiautos... his was a Smith, and i had my 35-year-old Browning... (we then switched to rimfire)... had a lot of fun... he ended up buying a loader for his 9mm mags (hard on the Arthur Eyetis you know)... i ran two new Mec-Gar mags in my Browning - they worked flawlessly:

Canoeal

I got to the indoor range today; shot both 22 mags. Seems I need a little more practice than I getting ::)
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

bearcatter

Same distance? Looks like you're doing better with the mini.......
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

linux_author

that 5yd target is good shootin' and looks like your NAA mag is doing great!

i finally settled on some nice wmr for my Ranger II and Sidewinder and now both are in rotation as a backup to my Smith 637-1 or KT P32...

have to get and run some of the magnum rounds...

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Canoeal

Quote from: bearcatter on November-15-19 10:11
Same distance? Looks like you're doing better with the mini.......

No the mini is @ 5 yds. I start the Charter Arms @ 7.  Altogether I shot the BW at 5, 7 and 10 yds. I shot the Charter Arms at 7, 10, 15 and 20.
Then I do a rapid fire with the Charter Arms at 7 and 10 yds. A 4" barrel makes it more accurate at longer ranges...I still need to get out more though. The Charter Arms has a new rear sight set coming. Old one doesn't stay put.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Cary Gunn

Hi Canoeal,

Does your Charter revolver have a problem?  From the number of "keyhole" bullet strikes on that target, I wonder if your bullets are tumbling?

Have the Charter's targets always looked like that?

I just wonder what's going on.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

Canoeal

No just the wrong ammo. Maxi Mags seem to do that in that gun. Hornadys do that in my BW sometimes. Gold Dots work better in both. I think it has to do with the slower burning rifle round burning powder as they exit. Maxi Mags are real flame throwers. The MM Hp+Vs with the 30 gr hp seem to do fine too. Just an ammo issue.

linux_author

Quote from: Canoeal on November-21-19 21:11
No just the wrong ammo. Maxi Mags seem to do that in that gun. Hornadys do that in my BW sometimes. Gold Dots work better in both. I think it has to do with the slower burning rifle round burning powder as they exit. Maxi Mags are real flame throwers. The MM Hp+Vs with the 30 gr hp seem to do fine too. Just an ammo issue.

gotta agree about the Gold Dots... however, i finally found a great wmr for my Pathfinder and NAA Sidewinder and Ranger II... American Quality (Ventura) w/what i believe are Armscor headstamps; ammo is made in USA:

linux_author

hey folks - took a new one out for a run this morning... i have been looking for one for a while, and while chatting with my LGS about how expensive MK frames were and that i was looking for a used pistol (due to having an extra MK III stainless non-threaded barrel), he pulled me into the workshop and convinced me to walk out with a new consignment: a Ruger MK II Competition Target slabside w/a threaded barrel, compensator, target grips, an extra set of Herrett National grips, Ruger scope mount and scope rings, and six magazines... the only thing i replaced was the recoil rod and spring (pistol worked fine, just didn't like the look of the worn assembly); initially ran 200 rounds of Rem Goldens, M-22s, CCI SVs, and Aguila Super Extras - no failures... this morning i ran 18 mags of Aguila Super Extra (12 MK III mags) with zero failures... started off slow with what i think are good results at 10 yards, then finished up with some rapid-fire at 7 yards suppressed (groups loosened up thru the SOS-22 V2, but i'll try my Odessa 9 next time):

KEN AR

For that Ruger you need to get the Mc Fadden Ultimate clip loader. 
It makes loading as fast as unloading!
Dump in fifty rounds shake it tilt it up for gravity to feed the rounds.
Amazon can have it there in a day.
The perfect Christmas gift!
Ken AZ is now KEN AR, moved in 2021 to the Natural State
Black Widow MAG/LR, Mini Master, Mini 1 5/8" Mag/LR
Desert Gun Leather holsters
https://desertgunleather.com/
RevisionCV.com Grips

Canoeal

Got to the range today, only to find they are closing the end of the month...Now I need to find a new indoor range.

Got my Wasp today...after I came back from the range...

Uncle_Lee

Fine shooting.
Those grips will look really good on that Wasp.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

smokeless joe

Quote from: Canoeal on December-12-19 22:12
Got to the range today, only to find they are closing the end of the month...Now I need to find a new indoor range.

Got my Wasp today...after I came back from the range...
Congrats on the wasp Al. I like the grip design.

linux_author

Quote from: Canoeal on December-12-19 22:12

that is sad... we have four ranges - three indoor and one outdoor - within 15 minutes of the casa - one less range is a bad thing...

i had the chance to re-settle elsewhere about seven years ago... in some ways i'm glad i didn't but in other ways i wish i had moved and bought land to have my own range...

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Canoeal

Ok so I did get to the range today...But I did not shoot the NAAs very well. Light strikes on my BW...new Wasp figuring the sights.
The TP shot well...hey, at least I got there; maybe 1 more time before the range closes.

heyjoe

Quote from: Canoeal on December-19-19 18:12
Ok so I did get to the range today...But I did not shoot the NAAs very well. Light strikes on my BW...new Wasp figuring the sights.
The TP shot well...hey, at least I got there; maybe 1 more time before the range closes.

light strikes a spring issue or ammo?   
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

Canoeal

Spring issue. Already boxed to go. It started a little last session. Waited for the new Wasp, so my pocket wasn't empty...

smokeless joe

Quote from: Canoeal on December-19-19 19:12
Spring issue. Already boxed to go. It started a little last session. Waited for the new Wasp, so my pocket wasn't empty...
She'll be good as new before you know it. Did you like the feel of the wasp after having the Black Widow for so long?

Uncle_Lee

You got to go shoot and hit the paper. 
OK, things didn't go perfectly. But I smell happiness.
God, Country, & Flag

RogueTS1

I smell gunpowder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  8)
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Canoeal

Quote from: smokeless joe on December-20-19 02:12
Quote from: Canoeal on December-19-19 19:12
She’ll be good as new before you know it. Did you like the feel of the wasp after having the Black Widow for so long?

The Wasp was a little hard to get used to. The recoil was a little different being lighter, and the sight picture was difficult to figure out. After I realised the light I was using was off to my left, I got it to shoot better. Go figure...It will come around, the BW after everyday for 3 years feels like an old friend...I am sure this will too.

Still need to do the water jug test...

Uncle_Lee

Just remember which is which.
Like right after you marry your second wife, don't call her by your first wife's name. Makes them hostile.
God, Country, & Flag

Canoeal

On that count I will have to take your word; been married to the same woman 43 years, and wouldn't change a thing about that.

Uncle_Lee

Me and mine have been together 41 years now.
God, Country, & Flag

linux_author

Quote from: uncle_lee on December-24-19 06:12
Me and mine have been together 41 years now.

funny - was just talking w/my range buddy next door... he said the same thing!

i told him that the fifth time was the charm... LOL!

Merry Christmas!

willie
on the soon-to-be-80F Gulf of Mexico

Canoeal

Indoor range is closing after tomorrow. So I snuck out today with the Wasp and the CA...
Wasp is still stiff. harder to cock than my BW ever was (so far). another 45 rounds in the Wasp taking it to 90.
I am getting better with the sights. I may try an adjustment to seeing them.
The Charter Arms does fine.
Pics are of the 5 yard Wasp target, and the 7 yard Charter Arms.
Now to find a new home to shoot...

Uncle_Lee

Doing good.
That would make them stop and think.
God, Country, & Flag

smokeless joe

I'd find those acceptable results especially while getting familiar with the new gal

Bj

Just don't feel like shooting today.  Photo just before 8am, 30 degrees.

Bigbird48

I have no idea what that picture is ???

bearcatter

Says he didn't feel like shooting. Maybe taken while lying on his driveway after a rough night.....
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Bj

Picture of snowy driveway while holding android phone vertical.  Emailed to iPad.  Uploaded using what is to me a new option on forum to select the file size (small).  It always looked right side up to me, no idea why it is not right side up now and don't feel like messing with it more.

smokeless joe

Quote from: bearcatter on March-23-20 10:03
Maybe taken while lying on his driveway after a rough night.....
I had too many of those nights that's why I gave up drinking  ::)

Wumbey Goomba

:-*For those who