Ammo Pod with Sidewinder

Started by Screwball, June-24-18 20:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Screwball

Been lurking for a little bit (got my Sidewinder back in August 2016), but figured I'd join.

Have the Sidewinder Convertible, which I'll be filing the frame this week to allow the cylinder to open fully. Been one of those things that always bothered me. Glad I saw it on here, as it has been a slow week, and looking for stuff to do.

The Sidewinder isn't a carry gun for me, but I like how small it is. Eventually going to get the Ranger II Convertible, as well. But I do like trying new things with it. Being there isn't a lot of stuff to do to them... one thing has caught my eye; speedloaders.

Not looking to be Jerry Miculek with the gun, but I have speedloaders of some form for most of my revolvers. Read in another thread that opening up the cylinder swing on the Sidewinder will allow for the DS speedloaders to function. Probably would pick up two for poops and giggles.

But another option peaked my interest... Revision CV's Ammo Pods. And haven't seen any info regarding figment with the Sidewinder (with frame modification or not). Looking at the pictures of the cylinder position with the modified frame, and how the Ammo Pods work, I'd think you'd have clearance to drop them in, if not just on an angle to get them to fall in.

Anyone try this? Figured I'd ask, in case I'm not seeing something.

Thanks,

-John

jennflip

The  Ds10speeds will load the Sidewinder at an angle---the revisions cv ammo pod are a waste of money--IMHO

Canoeal

DS10s with the spring on the outside shouldn't be pocket carried, as the spring may catch and release the ammo. Just a range toy. ME...YMMV.

I am looking for something like the HKS loaders that I have for my Charter Arms, But have not found one I like enough yet, to recommend one.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Ruger

Hey . . . Screwball . . .WELCOME to the firing line!  Hope to see you reload here often!
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

Ruger

Quote from: jennflip on June-25-18 08:06. . . . . . the revisions cv ammo pod are a waste of money . . . . .

How so?  I agree with Al that the outside spring of the DS10 has the chance of catching on something.  The Ammo Pod seems to me that it may hold up better in my pocket.  Keep in mind I don't own either, so this is just a simple question of what I am missing!?!
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

franco22

Welcome Screwball. I carry a 10 round speed strip with my minis. Quickstrip is the brand name. There really is no such thing as a fast reload with any of the minis but the strips allow me to carry extra ammo in a convenient manner.

Canoeal

Quote from: Ruger on June-25-18 08:06
Quote from: jennflip on June-25-18 08:06. . . . . . the revisions cv ammo pod are a waste of money . . . . .

How so?  I agree with Al that the outside spring of the DS10 has the chance of catching on something.  The Ammo Pod seems to me that it may hold up better in my pocket.  Keep in mind I don't own either, so this is just a simple question of what I am missing!?!

In a word, plastic. In two words, cheap plastic.

To date the best one I have seen in person and not yet bought is from nelms. It looks solid, but right now the price is putting me off. And no, it won't work with the Sidewinder; but I have a BW not a Sidewinder...

https://www.nsmachine.net/product-page/speed-loader-north-american-arms
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Screwball

First off... thanks to everyone for the welcome.

Quote from: jennflip on June-25-18 08:06
The  Ds10speeds will load the Sidewinder at an angle---the revisions cv ammo pod are a waste of money--IMHO

Got you. Figured I would be able to angle them in (is that in stock configuration, or with the frame clearance for a further cylinder swing). Prior to converting my S&W 642 to 9mm, I ran HKS speedloaders with .38s. Having CT LG-405s, angling them in was the best route.

Why don't you like the Ammo Pods, if you don't mind me asking?

Quote from: franco22 on June-25-18 08:06
Welcome Screwball. I carry a 10 round speed strip with my minis. Quickstrip is the brand name. There really is no such thing as a fast reload with any of the minis but the strips allow me to carry extra ammo in a convenient manner.

Thanks, but not really that interested in speed strips. I have them for my J-frame and my 629, and never liked them. For external loaders, HKS speedloaders are my favorite... even though moonclips definitely got my preference.

In regards to speed reloading... not really what I'm looking for. Just rather have rounds go directly into the cylinder all at once.

Quote from: Canoeal on June-25-18 08:06
In a word, plastic. In two words, cheap plastic.

Care to elaborate? Just wanted to see if there was a specific issue you saw, or if you are more against plastic (nothing wrong with that).

I don't really mind the fact that they are plastic, but was drawn to them for the release setup. I think that is pretty innovative, and always was surprised that a company never figured something like that out for larger revolver calibers.