Snakes and Me

Started by Honky Tonk Man, July-28-18 06:07

Previous topic - Next topic

WECSOG

Quote from: Dirty Bob on August-26-18 12:08
Quote from: top dog on August-26-18 10:08
DirtyBob,
Good thing she turned the light on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've thought that many times. One of my co-workers told us about coming home to find a rattler coiled on their front step. This was in San Antonio, and not out in the outskirts.

On snake guns: I bought a Yildiz single shot folding .410 from Academy Sports for $129, IIRC. I cut the barrel to about 19" and installed a new bead. Great little shotgun — about 3 pounds, and it folds to the length of the barrel.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

I walked out my front door once to find a large rattler stretched in front of the door. I killed it, cut off its head and threw the body in the back of my truck. Interestingly, even without its head the snake turned towards me every time I walked by. About an hour later I skinned and eviscerated the rattler. It fought me every step of the way. I cut its heart out and it lay there beating even though it was no longer attached to the snake, which had been dead for well over an hour at that point.
I cut the meat into chunks, cooked and ate it. It didn't taste like chicken. More like alligator.  8) 
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

Canoeal

Shows you how effective the brain of a snake is...even two legged ones. Useless...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Dirty Bob

Quote from: WECSOG on August-27-18 07:08
I walked out my front door once to find a large rattler stretched in front of the door. I killed it, cut off its head and threw the body in the back of my truck. Interestingly, even without its head the snake turned towards me every time I walked by. About an hour later I skinned and eviscerated the rattler. It fought me every step of the way. I cut its heart out and it lay there beating even though it was no longer attached to the snake, which had been dead for well over an hour at that point.
I cut the meat into chunks, cooked and ate it. It didn't taste like chicken. More like alligator.  8)

That story is another example of why I don't mess with snakes, be they belly crawlers or the kind that walk on two legs.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

gfb46

Actually I had the .22 LR cylinder in that day with the CCI rat shot.  The first one was about 6 feet and got it's attention, the second was more like 4, I leaned into that shot.  That's all she wrote for the Cottonmouth.

WECSOG

I've had really good results on snakes and rats with the CCI .22 LR shotshells. My 3" Pathfinder shoots a great pattern with them.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

Canoeal

Quote from: WECSOG on August-29-18 17:08
I've had really good results on snakes and rats with the CCI .22 LR shotshells. My 3" Pathfinder shoots a great pattern with them.

My four inch Pathfinder does well too, but in 22 mag, they are LOUD.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

WECSOG

Quote from: Canoeal on August-29-18 19:08
Quote from: WECSOG on August-29-18 17:08

Mt four inch Pathfinder does well too, but in 22 mag, they are LOUD.

Yeah, they are much louder than the LR version. I carry a couple of them in my Magnum Mini and my BW, for snakes and such.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

dog_soldier

My last encounter with a snake was a large water moccasin that was attempting to enter the dog pen out back.  I had my 22 TCM chamber RIA 1911 and I shot it right in the middle of its coil and it essentially exploded showering the area with chunky snake salsa.  Buried the remains and then noticed that my ears weren't ringing.  I always thought that was the oddest part of the incident

Dirty Bob

Funny, I was looking at that cartridge today and wondering why we don't have more guns chambered for it, as the 22 TCM seems to offer a lot of performance in a small package with little recoil.

Sounds like an effective snake destoyer.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

KEN AR

I'm looking at getting one of T/C contender 22 barrels done in the 22TCM but getting it done to take a rimmed version also.   Shop that does my rechambers can cut it to take both rimless and rimmed.  Should be a great little round. Easy to form to reload and the price is not to bad for factory ammo.
Ken AZ is now KEN AR, moved in 2021 to the Natural State
Black Widow MAG/LR, Mini Master, Mini 1 5/8" Mag/LR
Desert Gun Leather holsters
https://desertgunleather.com/
RevisionCV.com Grips

WECSOG

Quote from: dog_soldier on August-31-18 08:08
My last encounter with a snake was a large water moccasin that was attempting to enter the dog pen out back.  I had my 22 TCM chamber RIA 1911 and I shot it right in the middle of its coil and it essentially exploded showering the area with chunky snake salsa.  Buried the remains and then noticed that my ears weren't ringing.  I always thought that was the oddest part of the incident

WHAT?
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

Dirty Bob

It is a cool liitle cartridge: a bottleneck .22 that's about the same length as a 9x19mm cartridge. Here's a little more about it: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_TCM.  IIRC, it's formed from a .223 case.

All my best,
Dirty Bob

WECSOG

Quote from: Dirty Bob on August-31-18 21:08
It is a cool liitle cartridge: a bottleneck .22 that's about the same length as a 9x19mm cartridge. Here's a little more about it: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_TCM.  IIRC, it's formed from a .223 case.

All my best,
Dirty Bob

Yeah, I know what it is. I was just trying to be funny.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

Dirty Bob

Sorry for the misunderstanding. It is an unusual little cartridge.

Dirty Bob

OLD and GRUMPY

Remembered another---- If you get fed up tell me and I will stop.

Two snakes.

Coral and California Mountain King.   Both have the same marks just in different order.  Just like GIRLS  both look good but some will kill.

Linux posted a Coral back up the page.  My father in law fought coral snakes in NV.

THE RULE-- Red on black-friend of Jack. Red on yellow kill a fellow.

At one of my kids baseball games a Mountain King came out. 20 kids with spiked feet   and bats trying to beat the crap out of a harmless and good snake. You want this sake in your yard. To my shame I killed one before I learned.  CMK  lives an a diet that includes Rattlers. 

If you ever get to hold a big snake you will have respect for the power. (no your **** does not count)

Grumpy to the rescue!   Fought off the kids and took it to a stream a mile away.
--

Another-- Would catch gopher snakes by a golf course that had lots of gophers.  Find a gopher hole. Point the big snakes head in the hole and let go. Down he goes. By By gopher.

Dang!  I am shocked by how many snakes I have known.

Only time I got bit was a  8" garden snake that took offense that I grabbed his tail.  TIP-- grab them behind the ears. Yes snakes have ears-- sort of.

Death before Decaf !!!!!

WECSOG

Quote from: Dirty Bob on September-01-18 10:09
Sorry for the misunderstanding. It is an unusual little cartridge.

Dirty Bob

Yeah, it is. I wish Lone Wolf would make an inexpensive Glock barrel chambered in it. That would be fun to play with.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"