N A A Breaktop

Started by RICKS PLACE, December-05-18 17:12

Previous topic - Next topic

RICKS PLACE

Today I went to my local gun store, seemingly they think I like NAA products.  Greeting was "we got in a NAA Breaktop.  There was a couple of Ranger '2's in the case.  (A rose by any other name smells the same")  Probably overpriced, one $495, one $498. One used, one new.  I have no idea of the MSRP on the Ranger2.  The new one had a much higher serial number.  A little smoother trigger and hammer.  Opened smoother,  both locked tight.  Liked the new on better, hoped NAA had worked out the bugs of the originals, and plunked down my money.  Also bought a Henry 22 Mag rifle which was why I went in the first place.  The grip on the Ranger will be replaced tomorrow with a spare B/W grip.  Hope I like it as well as my B/W and Pug.  Said I would never own one. I lied.

billmeek

Which Henry 22 mag rifle did you get? 
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Warthog

Cool!  I have a Henry 22 mag Big Boy (pic below) and of course a couple of Ranger II's (also seen below). 8)

POST PIX! ;D
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Canoeal

On my wish list is the Henry 22 mag Small Game w/peep sights.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

RICKS PLACE

I got the Henry with the checkered wood, 19 1/4" round barrel, hooded front sight.  I looked at one with a octogon barrel slightly longer, smooth wood.  I really liked the octagon  barrel,  but for some reason, when I shouldered and aimed the two guns, the round barrel felt  better balnced.  So, I bought it. 
Checked and found the price of $498 on the Ranger 2 was about $20 over MSRP.  As I would guess those were the only Ranger2's in Austin, I didn't kick.  "A bird in the hand" you know. 

Uncle_Lee

Way to go.
Sounds like you made out good.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Rick_Jorgenson

Both guns are Awesome!

It's a good buy if your happy with it!

Clean / lube the Ranger every 10 to 15 rounds while breaking it in. JMHO (it has worked for me on several guns, especially .22's)
Rick Jorgenson

riadat

I saw a youtube video about someone hitting the release with their thumb and opening it while firing.  I don't actually like the lock on that top break and wish it was more secure.

If I ever get one I may get a sidewinder, which I think is more secure.

With the sidewinder I think I read it was easier to load long rifle than mag because more room to eject.  So I guess my wish list might include sidewinder with 22 lr only cylinder in a magnum frame, potentially a black widow or mini master sidewinder with the better sights.

NAA, plz make it so.

linux_author

the lock/release of the Ranger II Breaktop works just fine... i have nearly 500 rounds through the revolver with no problems...

but then, i hold it with a proper grip during use, and carefully open, eject, load, and then close the revolver...

the Sidewinder also opens and closes securely, but it is not as easy as the Ranger II...

a half-cocked hammer is critical in proper and safe operations of both revolvers

i have both and like them very much... they have passed muster with me for concealed carry

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

riadat

Could it open in your pocket inside a holster?

Canoeal

"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

PaPa K

I have the Henry Small Game Carbines in .22 and .22M, our favorite to long gun .22s to shoot. Accurate, well made and actions smooth as butter.

Desertvet

Can't post photos for some reason says it's too large a file? Anyway, I am enjoying the Rangers 2 and my Pug.

Mr.Mini

Quote from: Desertvet on December-16-18 23:12
Can't post photos for some reason says it's too large a file? Anyway, I am enjoying the Rangers 2 and my Pug.

If you crop the picture down some you should be able to post the pictures. Every picture I take with my phone I have to crop it before I can post it on here.

Desertvet

Still not working for me.
Too difficult to post pictures on this site.
Too many steps each time to post.
I see myself lurking for the information on this site but not using it much unfortunately

RICKS PLACE

I have put off firing my new Ranger ll till after the holidays as am busy with that.  Need to order a holster to carry it in anyway.  I did a cleaning on it just to get it ready, removed the cylinder to lube everything.  I was surprised at the grit and crud I got out of that area.  Gun scrubber and then "Break Free" lube was in order.  Does not appear to have been test fired at the factory, so, where did this come from?   At any rate, it is now clean and ready to go.  Also cleaned up the new Henry. 

Warthog

Pretty sure all of the Ranger's were test fired at the factory.  But I can't be too sure since I wasn't there. ;)

Mine have not had trouble, though as I said I have not been able to get them out for a really good range day.  I will though, and if there is a problem I will say so, if not I will say that too.  Looking forward to shooting them, I set one up for LR and left the other Magnum though both are convertible.  The Henry was a good time, though again I couldn't spend very long shooting it, I loved it and it hit right where it was aimed.  The 22 Magnum Big Boy (Blued) I own feels good to shoot and I look forward to getting it out and shooting the heck outta it too. ;D
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Warthog

Quote from: Desertvet on December-17-18 06:12
Still not working for me.
Too difficult to post pictures on this site.
Too many steps each time to post.
I see myself lurking for the information on this site but not using it much unfortunately

DesertVet, go to the "Test" area and start a thread, then reply to it 8 more times then wait for the approval of those and then you will be off probation and ready to get down.  FIFTEEN POSTS is all it takes for you to get off of probation and then no more tests before you post.  I did it and so did many of the members here now, just stick with it then you can post at will! 8)
-Albert Einstein

Uncle Pepper

I love mine.  I finally found real elk grips to match my buck knives.
Live long and shoot straight.

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: Uncle Pepper on December-17-18 23:12
I've never been a big fan of the Elk Grips but......  You might of converted me with your group of grips there Uncle Pepper!  :)

Those are all really nice, thanks for posting.
Rick Jorgenson

dsnitker

Quote from: Uncle Pepper on December-17-18 23:12

Nice looking combo there - hoping to do something similar.  Is that an AG Russell boot knife?

Uncle Pepper

Yes it is A G Russell.

Uncle Pepper

Thanks Rick.  Quality elk is a thing of beauty to me.  I'm getting ready to order a couple Holsters for my Ranger.  My early birthday presents.  Gonna be 71 next month.  I think I have earned a couple more nice holsters.

dsnitker

Quote from: Uncle Pepper on December-18-18 23:12
Yes it is A G Russell.

Really great boot knife - I have the CRKT licensed production and I'm fond of it.  Your's looks amazing!

RogueTS1

Oh no. We have another Uncle around here now. Just kidding; welcome Uncle Pepper and nice loot there. They look fabulous.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Uncle_Lee

No, we ain't kin.
We just happen to have the same first name.

Welcome Uncle Pepper.
God, Country, & Flag

grayelky

Quote from: uncle_lee on December-20-18 05:12
No, we ain't kin.
We just happen to have the same first name.

Welcome Uncle Pepper.
I was hoping you had found a long lost relative........
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Uncle_Lee

No, not much family left.
He would have to be far distant.
God, Country, & Flag

RICKS PLACE

No longer looking forward to firing my new Ranger ll.  After "tinkering" with it, if it shoots as well as I hope for, it could replace my B/W for my all the time carry.  And, I have packed a B/W for many years.  At 81, I am no longer that accurate, any shooting will have to be close up.  The action on my Ranger is superb, smooth break open for reloading, good feel with oversized wood NAA grips.  I have already put money back for another one should it come available locally. 

cfsharry

Uncle Pepper,
Gorgeous group of hardware. Love the stag. That appears to be a Kimber micro 9 the stag really dress it up.