Guns you will not fire???

Started by KnD Ken, December-13-18 08:12

Previous topic - Next topic

KnD Ken

I posted about my new ranger II. I added that I have not fired it yet. I got mixed responses, some saying I am crazy and some saying they understand. My wife agrees with the crazy idea.

I wanted to ask. Do you have various guns you will not fire??? What are they and why?

I do. This Ranger II for example,,,, and I have a boxed set of NAA's 22short, 22lr and 22mag. Polished set in collector box. I will not fore these as I have other NAA's I shoot. One I carry as EDC in 22mag that I also have 22lr cylinder for. I fire it often, not in self defense yet but at cans or bottles (they fear me).

I have a 10 year anniversary Judge that is engraved that I put in a collector case and will not fire. I also have a few OLD guns that I have not fired.

I also have two Ruger rifles,,, Farmer's Edition. Engraved stocks that are very nice,,,, too nice for me to scratch up.

My one concern is my family will not resect these like I do, or any of our guns. They will not be able to wait to cash in our years of guns.

Not sure how I feel on that but I know it is life.

What about you????

Ken Jones

linux_author

a polished set in a collector's box? doesn't make sense to fire any of those...

i don't have any unfired weapons... life is too short and there are only so many range days in one's life... and when the day comes that i can no longer use a range, i'll sell most of my weapons and put my one or two favorites on display (albeit with no firing pins)

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

autofull

i have weapons that i owned for 30yrs that i have finally fired this year. now it is time to sell off some of the herd. im a gittin older but braver .

bearcatter

If I were younger and rolling in cash, I might invest in one item that was meant to be collectible, like the polished set in a wood display. But I'm older, not the least rich, and no kids to leave anything to.

It takes a long time for most firearms to increase in value, enough to get excited about. If you buy a gun today that turns out to be popular, and pass it down through the family, the value may make your grandkids smile, more likely their kids.

Good example my best LGS owner told me. Once you buy an average gun, it will stay worth 2/3 what a new one costs, if taken care of. If a new one later costs twice as much, yours is worth 2/3 of that, and you've made a third on your gun investment. It can take 10-15 years for a price to double. Once a gun is discontinued, you're looking at 3/4 the last new price. After that depends on if the gun was a hit, or a dud. Your money could nearly double every year, or never.

He keeps as many pre-64 Winchester 94s as he can manage, selling for $800 and up. That's 16 plus times what they were new, but they were new 55-100 years ago.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

OLD and GRUMPY

Quote from: KnD Ken on December-13-18 08:12
I posted about my new ranger II. I added that I have not fired it yet. I got mixed responses, some saying I am crazy and some saying they understand. My wife agrees with the crazy idea.

I wanted to ask. Do you have various guns you will not fire??? What are they and why?

Ken Jones

No. If it is safe  I MUST fire it.  I will load soft loads then clean and put away.  Proper Care and feeding is needed. ---- But then I am not into "Virgins" , only old girls. You going to get a new wife and not-----------------------------? ;D
Death before Decaf !!!!!

Uncle_Lee

Quote from: KnD Ken on December-13-18 08:12

I do. This Ranger II for example,,,, and I have a boxed set of NAA's 22short, 22lr and 22mag. Polished set in collector box. I will not fore these as I have other NAA's I shoot. One I carry as EDC in 22mag that I also have 22lr cylinder for. I fire it often, not in self defense yet but at cans or bottles (they fear me).

I have a 10 year anniversary Judge that is engraved that I put in a collector case and will not fire. I also have a few OLD guns that I have not fired.

I also have two Ruger rifles,,, Farmer's Edition. Engraved stocks that are very nice,,,, too nice for me to scratch up.

My one concern is my family will not resect these like I do, or any of our guns. They will not be able to wait to cash in our years of guns.

Not sure how I feel on that but I know it is life.

What about you????

Ken Jones

Yep, a whole shoebox of new minis, in pairs with consecutive serial numbers, that I don't shoot.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Texduk3

I buy guns to shoot ...
cars/trucks  to drive ..
books to read... yea books
old rock n roll to listen to
if  one wants to have a cool lil pistola' collection
who am I to judge... go for it
I have collected Earnhardt Sr. and Jr. diecast  cars since 1995..
and still do.
That makes us all a buncha characters   8)
dont'ch think??
we are Americans
"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"

Warthog

I shoot most if not all of my firearms now a days.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

redhawk4

If collecting is your thing and you get a buzz out of having unfired firearms then good for you. I like to fire all mine and feel I'm at a stage in life where I'm too old to be concerned about values, I'm sure I don't own one gun that will increase in value by anything significant in what remains of my life, perhaps if you intend to fire your guns you choose different ones with that in mind. I also tend to purchase guns in the "popular" calibers where ammunition is readily available and at the best prices with shooting them and having a good ammo stock in mind. I'm probably one of the few who has fired the original Ranger, I fired mine before it became too valuable to be used for it's intended purpose when I bought it. I bought 3 other guns including an S&W 29 that I do fire with the proceeds.

The only ones I don't fire are some old 1800 vest pocket revolvers I picked up more for ornaments and a KNIL military revolver in 9.4mm Dutch which is virtually impossible to obtain ammo for.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

smokeless joe

This is the only gun that I will never fire. It was left to me after my father passed and it was a retirement gift to him from some of his friends at work.

redhawk4

I can understand that one :)
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

Canoeal

Yep, that one gets a pass.
But not likely a "virgin"...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

grayelky

I have several I do not fire. I have about 20-25 NAAs that all have the serial number ———-082. This includes the Rangers, the Earls, a full set of the Sidewinders, a CCH, and some more I am forgetting. I also have serial numbers 2 and 3 of both the blued and CCH. It has taken a great deal of effort and a little conniving to acquire these. I had no plan when it got started, and really have none now. Both of my sons are "gun people" so there is little chance these will end up in a pawn shop when I am gone. Perhaps when my grandson, who is almost 2, or my granddaughter, who is 8 days old, can use the set to pay for their first semester of college. Likely won't be my decision, as I may not be around by then. I have several older Rugers I don't shoot, very often anyway, just preserve their good to great condition. I have other Rugers in the same calibers that shoot as good and will not have any collector interest. If I do decide to shoot some of my old 3 screw guns, I will not let it slow me down to do so, just because they have some value to them other than as shooters. I have acquired most of my guns just because I liked them, not because they had potential as collectors. I just lucked out on some of them. I assure you most of what I have have no special value, other than as used guns.

Part of the problem with owning a gun shop is running across guns you would really like to keep, but just don't have the money to spend on them. Case in point, just this past Wednesday, I took in an HK HK4 in 7.65 (.32 ACP) and, a second barrel in .22 LR, both in their original boxes with tool kit and all paperwork. I would loved to keep it, but, it was not to be. I sold it on Thursday for the asking price. At least I know it is going to a good home.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

smokeless joe

Quote from: Canoeal on December-13-18 20:12
She is. I know it was new when my father got it and he never fired it either.

Uncle_Lee

Quote from: smokeless joe on December-14-18 04:12

Do you know anything about.
When was it made?
Who made it?
God, Country, & Flag

smokeless joe

Quote from: uncle_lee on December-14-18 04:12

When was it made?
Who made it?
We talked about it once
http://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=14134.msg135216#msg135216

Uncle_Lee

Quote from: smokeless joe on December-14-18 05:12

When was it made?
Who made it?
We talked about it once

Sorry bout that.
God, Country, & Flag

proimage1

I'm in sort of the same situation / not with guns but with a lot of really great vintage audio equipment - I have three grown children and none of them show any interest in the equipment - most is from the 70"s but some way older - I guess they'll make that decision when the time comes !
Didn't mean to get off track
I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today !

smokeless joe

Quote from: uncle_lee on December-14-18 06:12
Quote from: smokeless joe on December-14-18 05:12

When was it made?
Who made it?
We talked about it once

Sorry bout that.
No need to be sorry. I'm just too lazy to type the answer  ::)