If you like G10 grips...

Started by grayelky, January-11-19 06:01

Previous topic - Next topic

grayelky

CVang now has G10 grips:
(From an email)

Dear Loyal customers,

Revision CV is excited to start the 2019 year with the introduction of our new G10 Grips.

G10 is a fiberglass and epoxy composite laminate with high strength, high chemical resistance and low moisture absorption.

Below are the currently available grips and colors:

North American Arms - 22 Magnum
Our G10 NAA grip design are the next generation of our popular (Dymondwood/Plastic) grips. As part of our commitment to continuous improvement, we have added new features to improve functionality. Our G10 grips will fit all 22 magnum models except for the Sidewinder and Ranger-2 models. Currently available in Black/Gray and Black/Red colors. Price: $65.00 (+ shipping).

Kahr Arms – MK9
The Kahr MK9 grip design adheres to the same company philosophy (Simplicity and Functionality) that has made our products successful. G10 grips for the MK9 are currently available in Black/Gray color. Price: $72.00 (+ shipping).

More information available on the Revision CV website, "Product" page.

Thank you for your business and continued support,
Chong Vang
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Honky Tonk Man

That's some good news.  I have G-10 scales on quite a few knives and also on my Sig P238.  It is as sturdy as it gets.  I like the extra grooves on these NAA grips.  Thanks!
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

gebe

Those are nice! Wish he had them when I ordered the black plastic grips for my 4" MM. The black plastic are nice but I would have gone for those for sure.

billmeek

Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Mr.Mini

Awesome! Those look great!

bill_deshivs

Because Diamondwood is not readily available. The factory burned.

Warthog

Quote from: bill_deshivs on January-11-19 11:01
Because Diamondwood is not readily available. The factory burned.

^Bummer, I am not a big fan of G10, got the email from CV earlier too.  Guess I will try a set eventually but for now I am glad he has found a way to keep making the grips because i do like those I have now.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

gebe

G-10 is the strongest and most durable of all synthetic materials. It's why so many gun manufacturers and others have turned to it.

It all started with knife makers using it for knife scales, (handles), way back in the day and they learned it could put up with sweat, moisture and abuse that other synthetics couldn't.

bill_deshivs

G 10 is pretty much overkill for grips and knife handles. It will do little that Micarta won't do.
G 10 is dangerous to grind, as it contains Fiberglas.

Warthog

Micarta is so much better IMO than any other sort of grip or scale.  Wood is nice too but Micarta is great.  It is nice and griippy if done right and if it isn't I can usually make it right.  It holds up well to everything too and just feels better in hand than most of the synthetic stuff made now.

Back when you got a nice leather sheath with micarta scales on a knife, those were the best of all days IMO.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Canoeal

Sorry, I like wood, real wood, not laminates. What could be easier to work with? What could look better?
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

smokeless joe

I got the email as well. I like the grooves at the back of the grip. Not sure if I'll get a set (probably will) but they do have me curious.

Warthog

Quote from: Canoeal on January-11-19 17:01
Sorry, I like wood, real wood, not laminates. What could be easier to work with? What could look better?

Well, I love wood too Al, especially on firearms.  Knives though Micarta does work well and looks and feels good to me.  Plastic....meh.
-Albert Einstein

holiday009

NAA Riverboat Gambler Owner.

gebe

Quote from: bill_deshivs on January-11-19 16:01
G 10 is pretty much overkill for grips and knife handles. It will do little that Micarta won't do.
G 10 is dangerous to grind, as it contains Fiberglas.

You're probably right Bill and I too like micarta but everywhere you look and especially with revolver and pistol grips, G-10 sure has gained popularity.

I like all materials but my favorite will always be stag especially sambar. Over half my gun grips are sambar and probably over 75% of my knife scales are stag.

I still think these are nice!

Uncle_Lee

I love that black/red set.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Mr.Mini

Trying to imagine how the red/black would look on my Pug!

grayelky

Uncle_Lee

When you get a set of red/black on that Pug, post a picture.
I am thinking about a set also.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

ds10speed

I like the shape of the part of the grip you hang on to but I don't like the part that covers text, logos or artwork on the frame.

If they made something like this, I might be interested. Sorry for the bad Paint edit.

Also made of walnut would be my preference.

It would also work with Sidewinder and Ranger.

pennsy

I agree . That shape works for me better.

Lobster

Wouldn't be hard to modify these grip that way.

smokeless joe

Quote from: ds10speed on January-16-19 07:01
I like the shape of the part of the grip you hang on to but I don't like the part that covers text, logos or artwork on the frame.

If they made something like this, I might be interested. Sorry for the bad Paint edit.

Look into thingmeister grip then. He does some like that. I prefer the "side covers" keeps the draw smooth. The cylinder is less likely to snag with them in place.

Biff

G-10, to me, feels like Nabisco's sugar wafers cookies.   

gebe

G-10 is making such a reprise in gun grips and in a lot of hunting knives as it is very grippy when hands are sweaty or covered in blood while skinning an animal.

Personally, I have a few knives with scales made from it and I think if G-10 feels like Nabisco sugar wafers, the maker didn't finish them correctly.

Like others have said, Micarta is a great material and can be made very smooth.

ds10speed

Quote from: smokeless joe on January-16-19 10:01

Look into thingmeister grip then. He does some like that. I prefer the "side covers" keeps the draw smooth. The cylinder is less likely to snag with them in place.

You're probably right on the "smooth draw" but I have a thing about text or logos put there by the factory, I think they should be seen. I have a laser grip on my ported mini and it really bugs me that part of the "North American Arms" text is covered up. I look at guns also as a work of art too (kinda).

smokeless joe

Quote from: ds10speed on January-16-19 19:01
Quote from: smokeless joe on January-16-19 10:01

You're probably right on the "smooth draw" but I have a thing about text or logos put there by the factory, I think they should be seen. I have a laser grip on my ported mini and it really bugs me that part of the "North American Arms" text is covered up. I look at guns also as a work of art too (kinda).
I understand 100%. I have things that I'm particular about myself.

grayelky

Wood would be nice. As to your bad Paint, I think it looks excellent.

Canoeal

What I don't like about laminates is the difficulty of keeping the grip smooth. I didn't like all the sharp edges/angles on the grips, like the one shown above, because for me, it screams 'machine done'.
When I made mine, I wanted a clean smooth feel, of nicely rounded grips, long enough for a two finger grip. I feels better than most in the hand. I chose Cherry because I like it when it darkens with age...On My Charter Arms I chose Walnut...JMHO...

BTW mine is bad Paint...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

ds10speed

Quote from: Canoeal on January-17-19 09:01
What I don't like about laminates is the difficulty of keeping the grip smooth. I didn't like all the sharp edges/angles on the grips, like the one shown, because for me, it screams 'machine done'.
When I made mine, I wanted a clean smooth feel, of nicely rounded grips, long enough for a two finger grip. I feels better than most in the hand. I chose Cherry because I like it when it darkens with age...On My Charter Arms I chose Walnut...JMHO...

BTW mine is bad Paint...

Thanks a lot Canoeal, now I'll have to find time to make my own grips!

Here is a set I made years ago for my Buckmark.

Canoeal

Now those I really like! Nice Walnut grips. What could be better?

ex-mousekateer

Quote from: ds10speed on January-16-19 19:01

I'm surprised no one pointed out that NAA's own Black Widow grips cover up part of the 22 Magnum text.

MtGoat

It looks like you could modify the G-10 grips .... that is if they haven't hollowed them out in that area.

Pat

foneman

I like the looks of the grip but I think it would make my Pug more difficult to conceal.
Any opinions on conceal-ability?

UncleDagger

I recently purchased a Mini Master and wanted to replace the stock grips. I've been using a pair of Dymondwood Revision Cv grips on my pug for years and when I got the email about the G10 grips, I decided to order them along with a few speed loaders. Here is a link to a picture of both. My PUG has the red/black Dymondwood and the Mini Master has red/black g10.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TUKMj91iYTBd8fFRA