New Black Widow has trigger twice as hard to pull as my old NAA 22 LR

Started by Houdini, May-17-19 20:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Houdini

I got a coupon for a discount at a store that gave me the excuse to go ahead and get a Black Widow.  The hammer is very hard to pull back.  It seems like it takes twice the force to cock as my 31 year old NAA 22 LR that has only been shot a few hundred times.  If my 22 LR had been this hard to cock I do not see how I could have cocked it single hand with the original tiny grips.  Will the hammer get easier to cock over time?  What is the reason it is so hard to cock?  Are they made with stronger hammer springs that last longer now?

RICKS PLACE

This question keeps coming up.  I have no doubt the cocking and trigger pull is harder than it use to be.  I "think" my B/W is 9 years old.  I have bought a couple of newer (within 2 years) Widows, a Pug, and a Ranger II for keepers and presents.    All have harder hammer cocking and trigger pull.  As often as this comes up, I don't know if an actual NAA rep has answered this question, if so, I missed it.  I would hope, if not, an actual rep from NAA would answer one of these posts, even on the "Soapbox"..

Warthog

I have no trouble pulling the trigger on any of my Minis.  Try getting your hand stronger before working on your gun.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

jennflip

lift some weights or one of those hand grip exercise thingies and even a snowflake can cock a little bitty miniature firearm!!!!   (couldn't resist)  lol

grayelky

A few hundred rounds will help smooth out the gun, and condition your muscles used to cock the gun. My suggestion is after that, then consider talking to a local gunsmith.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Canoeal

Quote from: jennflip on May-18-19 08:05
  lift some weights or one of those hand grip exercise thingies and even a snowflake can cock a little bitty miniature firearm!!!!   (couldn't resist)  lol

In my business I use my hands everyday as clamps to squeeze pony clamps to trigger saws a, planers and sanders. The last two NAAs I tried at my LSG were hard harder to work than my BW...I don't think it is hand strength at all, I think they use the same springs in all magnums, and that was part of the answer to Breaktop misfires.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Honky Tonk Man

I noticed a stiffer trigger when I bought a new Pug a few years ago.  It became easier as I used it.  After a few hundred rounds and a couple years later, I bought a new Black Widow.  I was surprised how much stiffer the BW trigger was than the Pug's.  The same thing happened when I bought a new Sidewinder.  The conclusion I drew was these triggers get lighter with use.  They "wear in" so gradually; that you don't notice it, until you have a new one to compare it to.  I find it takes 300-400 rounds to fully wear in.  I might add that I have no issues with light strikes and misfires with quality ammo in any of my Minis.  In fact the .22 LR I bought new in the mid '80's, still works fine. 

I suggest putting a few hundred rounds through them.  Your accuracy will improve and your trigger will take care of itself.  If you don't believe me; buy a new one and compare them.  Win-win-win
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

Houdini

After shooting the Black Widow 110 times, plus pulling the hammer back probably another 50 times without shooting it, I think the hammer may be a little easier to pull back.  I practice drawing and shooting with the cylinder removed for safety and so the cylinder does not take the dry fire hit.  When I first purchased the BW two weeks ago it took 5 seconds to cock and shoot five times. Now it only takes 2.5 seconds.  Both times I am using the method of cocking with my left thumb while shooting with my right hand.

Redneck Zen

If you haven't, try lubing the action and cycling it a few times to ensure the lube gets everywhere it needs.  I use Eezox as I use that for my Seecamp, but any good slick lube should work. 

If that doesn't work and you're certain the action is harder to use than your other gun, you might consider sending it in for check up and maintenance.

The hand/pawl that rotates the cylinder on my Bug broke shortly after purchase, so I sent it in for repair.  Got it back and the action was horrendous and the hammer was catching on half-cock.  Application of lube helped, but it was still terrible.  It eventually locked up tight and I quit messing with it.  I sent it in to NAA with a detailed explanation.  Rachel -- God bless her soul -- assured me their top gunsmith would see to its repair and double check quality control.  I now have a perfectly functioning Bug. 

Anywho, if you're not happy with the gun, send it to NAA for a look over.  The worst thing they can do is tell you you're full of crap.  Which they won't.  ;) 

Special shout out to Rachel for taking care of my whining.  She is awesome!

Houdini

As of now I have probably put close to 300 rounds through my Black Widow, as well as plenty of just pulling the hammer back, and some dry firing with the cylinder removed.  The hammer is noticeably easier to pull back now. 

Honky Tonk Man

Yep, that's been my experience as well Houdini.  Glad it's working out that way for you too.  The improvement is so gradual; you don't notice it until one day it's good-to-go. 
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

OddBob

Recently got a Ranger II. Already have a little 22lr and a Magnum. Both these revolvers take half the effort to cock that the new Ranger does. I was able to discuss this with one of NAA's gunsmiths and he said the stiffness would work itself out with use. He also said that a stronger spring was now used because of past customer complaints of spring breakage.  My cousin the gunsmith also is of the same opinion as to break-in. So, based on two good opinions, I will cock and release the hammer a couple of hundred times and see how it goes.