Special Situation

Started by wheelz, December-16-12 08:12

Previous topic - Next topic

boone123

Wheelz.
Have you looked into the possibility of having someone build a detachable shelf/shooting rest on your chair, to rest your hands on so you can at least shoot some. Not a full time  thing, but maybe a start. Wouldn't do much  to help you in the line of self protection, but some of something....?

tyr_shadowblade

As an inexperienced shooter, you should AVOID single-action handguns like the minis and Jetfire.  If you need to decock it and slip it can accidentally discharge.  Avoid autoloading pistols.  A lightweight DAO revolver like the LCR or Charter Arms Off Duty might be a good choice . . . but you'll need to load them with low powered wadcutters, which are target rounds with low recoil and low stopping power.  If you load it with +P defense ammo it will jump out of your hand when fired.  You don't want a Charger . . . they weigh about 2 pounds and are basically a short rifle with a pistol grip.

grayelky

When you say the mini combo which are you referring to?
The combo is any magnum framed gun that comes with a LR cylinder. Just about all of the mag framed guns can be had with a LR cylinder. In you case, my best guess would be to start with either a Black Widow (BW), or the Standard .22 mag/LR combination. The Standard comes with either a 1 5/8 barrel or a 1 1/8 barrel. I have both, and cannot tell the difference when carried in my front pocket. In your situation, weight/size will not likely be a consideration when in your "mobile chair", as far as a concealment concern. By choosing the combo, you can practice/carry the LR until such time you have the confidence and strength to handle the .22 mag.

I was looking at other forum on this site and someone mentioned a .22 TCM. Can someone tell me what that is?
The .22 TCM cartridge is a shortened (a lot!) .223 Remington case, and shoots a .22 caliber bullet at a very high velocity. It is based on a full sized 1911 gun, and comes with a second barrel in 9mm. While it has relatively light recoil, I strongly suspect it would be more than you could feel comfortable with. The gun will very likely be way too heavy for you to consider. The smallest Kimber 1911, with a light weight alloy frame and 3" barrel weighs 25 oz. The TCM has a steel frame and 5" barrel. My guess would put it about 37-41 oz.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

grayelky

tyr_shadowblade-
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

wheelz

Boone123-

If I were to put something on my chair to rest my hands and gun what would recommend? Also a friend mentioned he thinks there is a television show about a company that makes custom guns. Does anyone know what show this is or anyone that soecializes in this. I have been making a list of everything I am looking for and thinking maybe it is possible to build it around my needs.

-Wheelz

boone123

Wheelz...
There are a lot of custom gun builders out there, but none that I know of that deal with speciel needs. You might try some internet research.
As for fabricating a rest on your chair, it would have to be removeable. Maybe look around for a small fixit, or repair shop, where maybe they can weld light metal. Somebody that can think outside the box. I can almost see a rest from here. Maybe a small welding shop, or  a school metal class. I  am sure it can be done, even if it takes a couple of trys.
Most town/cities all have somebody that can fix/build, anything. Ask around.
Good luck with it and keep us posted.../

wheelz

Boone123-

Sorry I meant what gun would you recommend to use with the rest. I found this rest which I think might work well. This video shows the small size, but the large size is twice the width which I like better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv7geJP0iIE

-Wheelz

boone123

Wheelz
Thats a start, but to shoot off of it there will have to be a way to have something up more towards eye level. It needs to be so you can rest your hands or wrists, or the gun on it and look down the sights. If you have the right rest probably most small 22 revolvers might work. S&W J-frame model 63? Ruger Bearcat? I don't know how much strenth you have in your hands, so you need to handle some guns to test that. Can you cock a gun saftly, and uncock it if need be? If the gun is to small you will feel more recoil. You don't have much strength in your arms, but how is your grip. Its all part of what will work for you.
To use what the demo. showed, is it strong enough to hold/clamp something taller on it so gun sights would be eye level, or as I mentioned before, some kind of an attached bipod on the gun?
Where I live there is an outside range, where the shooting benches are high enough  that you could roll your chair  part way under one , and shoot off sandbags or handgun rests. You would need a friend to help. Might give you some insight if you could try something like that. Even having friends  hauling a small table thats high enough out in the country to try it. None of this will do much at this point for using a gun for self protection, except what you gain by handling a gun.

FrRichard

Wheelz,
Your best option, IMO is to have a tray at normal height on which to rest your hand and a laser sight on a .22 Mini with the over-sized rosewood grips.  Unless you can be steady when you aim, you won't be able to hit your intended target.  It is probable that you cannot shoot reliably without a hand rest, and since a hand rest at eye level would very awkward, a laser would work well from a lap level tray.
God bless,
Fr. Richard

ikoiko

Wheelz

I do not want to be discouraging, but at the same time I have safety concerns regarding your ability to manage all of the forces involved in shooting a pistol (e.g. Pistol weight, trigger pull, recoil), and special situations that may arise such as a hang fire.

An occupational therapist may be able to assist you with your particular needs. The NRA might also be a source of help as they have a disabled shooting clinic.  http://www.shootingusa.com/SIGHTING_IN_SHOWS/30-04_NRA_DISABLED/30-04_nra_disabled.html

Best wishes in obtaining the assistance you need to enjoy shooting safely.

boone123

I didn't know about that NRA clinic. Good plan.

Bigbird48

Gun control is a major concern. Seeing how your not able to lift and point a gun correctly I really think for you own safety and the safety of those around you, you should look into other alternatives besides a gun. 

boone123

Some of this could and should be figured out with an unloaded gun, well before a real run.

PJ Garrison

QuoteThe suggestion of the Beretta .25 is probably the best one.

Having owned one of these before, I would not reccomend it to this guy.  While the gun CAN be loaded without racking the slide, the recoil is snappy, and would not be managable for someone with little strength.  It's also REALLY difficult to clear jams on these little bastards, and that's without considering Wheelz's lack of strength.  For that task, you HAVE to be able to pull the slide back, and it's not easy on that gun.

The sights also suck, and the gun is still probably too heavy for him, if he can't handle 10 oz (they're about 10 oz loaded if I recall correctly). The hammer is also difficult to thumb back, and probably impossible, for a guy in his condition.  Honestly, I think the only thing he'll be able to manage is an NAA mini in .22lr or .22 short.

ikoiko

Not wanting to be a wet blanket, but having safety in mind, please consider this fact if recommending a firearm.

A cup of water, not including the cup, only the water, weighs 8 ounces. Add the cup and the weight likely approaches wheelz stated limit of 10 some ounces. No hammer, no slide, no recoil, etc.

I cannot see a firearm being a safe means of self protection. Possibly recreation with knowledgeable assistance.

Just my 2 cents

Kevin55

I would agree to avoid single action revolvers (NAA mini) and semi-automatics (Jetfire 950).   Watch YouTube videos, almost everyone shooting a NAA mini does it with two hands.   Thumb cocking is not that easy.

I have a Beretta Bobcat in .22lr.   I know a ten year old can shoot one.
If you do get a NAA revolver, the .22lr with the holster grip.  Or get the .22mag conversion with a larger grip.

IMHO, try before you buy.
Your best bet is to go to an indoor gun range or take a NRA Hunter Safety class.   Ask people at the range and classes about firearm.  Most shooters will go out of their way to let you try shooting their handgun.   I've traded shots with my Ruger MkII .22 for shots with a Ruger Redhawk .44mag, and it was the 44mag owners idea.  (He really enjoyed shooting the MkII.)

As long as you don't appear to be a crazy person, most shooters will do a lot to help you try out various firearms.

Kevin

Kevin55

You might read this thread too.

Same discussion about Tomcats in the NAA forum for some reason.   Worth reading.

http://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=2826.0