I lost it

Started by PeeShooter, August-08-23 09:08

Previous topic - Next topic

PeeShooter

So a few days back, I decided to take the Wasp to the range for some 22 long rifle fun.  I took out the mag cylinder and opened the drawer the long rifle cylinder sits in.

Nope, nothing, I ripped the drawer apart and tried to backtrack my steps.  It was gone, passe etc.

Called North American Arms to order a new long rifle cylinder and was told I would have to send the gun in to have the cylinder timed.  The total cost would be about $150 depending on how I would send it, with shipping both ways and the cost of the new cylinder.

I know what timing in a revolver is and how it comes about and just didn't buy what I was told.  No doubt there was a lawyer or two involved in that one.

Off to e-bay I flew and for $70 to my door, I now have a new cylinder.  I checked the timing and compared it to my mag cylinder.  I took it to the range today and enjoyed shooting my long rifle ammo, all 100 rounds.

The cylinder that was sent showed no signs of wear what so ever although it didn't have the Wasp black rings, I was still satisfied.  Now within a few days, the original cylinder will show up.  We all know that.

Gnomie

How does one check the timing? 

I'm not saying I did, but I may have mixed up the mag cylinders between my two minis. 

PeeShooter

When you cock the gun, the arm (cylinder hand) pushes the cylinder toward the next chamber.  Before it gets to the final position, the cylinder bolt, which is the small spring loaded lever, comes up from the bottom of the frame.  The bolt rides the cylinder near the end of the cocking cycle and drops into the slot on the cylinder before the hammer reaches the fully cocked position locking the cylinder in place and in alignment with the barrel.  If the above happens properly, the gun is correctly timed.  Mine was perfect with the new cylinder.

Gnomie

Quote from: PeeShooter on August-09-23 04:08
When you cock the gun, the arm (cylinder hand) pushes the cylinder toward the next chamber.  Before it gets to the final position, the cylinder bolt, which is the small spring loaded lever, comes up from the bottom of the frame.  The bolt rides the cylinder near the end of the cocking cycle and drops into the slot on the cylinder before the hammer reaches the fully cocked position locking the cylinder in place and in alignment with the barrel.  If the above happens properly, the gun is correctly timed.  Mine was perfect with the new cylinder.

Thank you for that thorough explanation!

top dog

Peeshooter,
I am glad that all worked out well for you.

I hate it when things get "lost"

I bet in a week or two,that cylinder will show up.

Top Dog

Gnigma

If you can find a used one like that, you can also get a local gunsmith to check the timing. H&R handi rifles are the same deal--- if you buy another barrel, you have to send it in, but you can get a used one and a gunsmith can check lockup for the breech. Usually, there is not much to be done, since they all come off the same machines with the same specs. Any of them will likely be very close. You might want to check the forcing cone to make sure you're not shaving off lead on one side, and have a smith check it if it is.
Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie." ~Miyamoto Musashi

PeeShooter

Welp, the story continues.

I decided to donate some books that I read from some very conservative writers to our very liberal library here in the hood where I live.  It isn't actually a "hood," but that is what the local police jokingly call it.

One of the books I looked at was "Peace Within," a book that should really be titled, "Piece Within" because there are no pages, just a place to hide your piece.

I opened it and was presented with my original Wasp 22 LR cylinder.  I don't remember putting it there, but my day was made bigly.

So, if anyone needs a NAA 22 long rifle cylinder.  Drop me a PM and you can have my e-bay acquisition for a mere $40 and I will split the shipping costs.