What LR ammo do you carry?

Started by bflying, March-06-12 15:03

Previous topic - Next topic

bflying

Just wondering what other non-magnum people carry.  I have practiced with many different brands/models.  Just recently put in some CCI Stingers, but have not practiced with them yet.

Any suggestions? (Other than buy a Magnum, already on the list)  Good, bad, or indiferent.

westerly1965

CCI Stingers seems to be the general census that is what I usually carry.  BUT I also usually carry two guns.  The .22 is often loaded with Aquilla sub sonic's for rat control.

tranquilo

When I carry .22lr, it's CCI Velocitors - they

are heavier than CCI Stingers and expand better.

gunr

CCI Mini mags, but I practise with WEIAC's

What ever is available cheap!

heyjoe

ive been using stingers but i want to check out velocitors
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

louiethelump

Velocitors for me.  In my LCR mainly, but anytime I carry a 22lr (like in Beretta 21a) it is with Velocitors.  They give nearly the velocity of Stingers (based on the chronograph results I have seen) with the heavier bullet, and are more accurate in my guns.
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

westerly1965

Hmm will have to look into the velociters thanks for the heads up.

gadget

CCI Quik-Shok for me. Bw likes them and I like the reviews and tests I've read about. Wound channel is supposed to be similar to a center fire.

Dinadan

I carry CCI Mini-mags, 40 grain round nose. Of the ammo I have tested it has the  

best penetration. I have not tried Velocitors: I need to order some and see how they  

compare. I have pretty well decided that expansion is just not going to happen  

much in a LR out of a mini. Even with Magnum Gold Dots expansion is quite sporatic.

chopprs

Stingers always work and are sold everywhere. If you can find the Velocitors they are just that much better for SD.......

millsriver

I like the CCI Stingers. Just bought some Aquila Hypervelocity rounds, but have not tried them out yet. They are advertised as the fastest LR rounds, but fastest may not be the best. We will see.
When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

chopprs

...fastest out of a rifle. Most of the powder will burn at the end of the barrel as the bullet exits a mini.

wkfg

bbgun

CCI Quick-Shok, Velocitors and Stingers.  I like to carry shells from different boxes and types.  That way I think I won't get a bad batch.

bflying

Wow, thank you for all the input.  Looks like I need to go practice with more types.

westerly1965

Good point Chops I have never looked for velociters but I have never seen them anywhere either....I will look around some and see how hard to come by they are out here.

louiethelump

They are probably not allowed in Kaliforia.  Probably classified them as "high velocity ammuntion not suitable for sporting purposes and only suitable for crime" and banned it.

Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

westerly1965

Louie ~ LOL the scary part is there is a chance of that!

heyjoe

i picked up some velocitors today. going to give them a try.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

cedarview kid

when I carried .22LR, it was always Stingers. I had other choices for Magnum

RogueTS1

Velocitors but they are harder to find as Chopper said. If I cannot find them then Stingers are the way to go and they can, as once again Chops stated, are everywhere and easy to find.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

zippovarga

Stingers/Mini Mags are the typical rounds. Occasionally I'll load up a Mini with Aguila SSS.

wkfg

I cannot bring myself to purchase CCI Stingers after the performance witnessed using them for Cottontail hunting back in the 1970's out of a rifle.

The bullet would blow up just under the skin with less than an inch of penetration. After numerous shots, still had to dispatch a mere Cottontail with the rifle butt.

I do not think that would be a problem with the velocities out of a pistol. And perhaps bullet integrity has likely been improved since introduction.

flyinbiker2001

Mine is loaded with 1 Shot CCI Birdshot and 4 Rem Yellowjackets my thoughts on this loading is the 1st shot will either scare away or give me time to gain sight allignment for the next 4 I have used this loading for 25 + years the yellowjackets expand to 33 cal. every shot and with the bird shot I can't miss the 1st shot and most people WILL miss the 1st shot with a Mini no the shotshell wont stop a damm thing but after knowing you have been shot and feeling impact one tends to cover or retreat and I know that for a fact I have seen it in combat many times only John Wayne keeps fighting after being shot there are a few Medal of Honor winners who have but damm near all checked there wounds first

santa

CCI Stingers for carry.  Whatever is cheap for plinking.

sab

+1 for Velocitors here. I typically don't have a problem finding them at my LGS. Mini-mags and Stingers have also found their way into the cylinder when I was low on Velocitors.  

Have not tried Aguila SSS, and I don't know if gain in weight is worth the loss of velocity when it comes to penetration and energy. Plus, I can't really find them anywhere local and I've heard they run a bit dirty.

blitzkrieger

Used to carry stingers because of velocity and the nickle plated casings were asthetically pleasing to me against the stainless steel finish but have since switched to velocitors due to the explanation louie gave. Better penetration with nearly the amount of velocity of stingers.

Moderndayedison

From my experience Remington's .22lr high velocity

Viper rounds have been the most accurate through

my Black Widow, so that is what I carry most of  

the time when I am out shooting or carrying my

gun with some ammo.

And I generally carry them in a zippered tobacco

pouch allot like this one below found at most

smoke shops, they help keep your ammo dry and  

are easier to carry than the plastic box that

the rounds come in from the store.

The only complaint I have heard about the  

Remington high velocity viper rounds is that

they don't expand well on impact, they generally

put a perfect .22 hole in whatever you shoot with

them...a small price to pay for increased accuracy

at farther distances if you ask me.

-MDE

And Boom......There it was!!!!
https://www.gofundme.com/Carls-Shop

blitzkrieger

MDE - if you like the bullet but want expansion why not upgrade to Remington Yellow Jackets? Same bullet design but hollow point AND......... they claim it to be a hyper velocity.

bleak_window

I pack mine with Colobris for those super-quiet dragonfly and chameleon hunts.

nycguyinmississippi

Always CCI Velociter. Never a misfire. Federal Chanpion is also totally reliable.

bflying

Finally found Velociters and Mini-Mags to go with the Stingers.  Think I'll take them all out together and see if I can tell a difference.  The Stingers list the highest velocity, but I think for human protection, the heavier round nose may be better.  

I've put a ton of cheappo bulk Remington and Winchester through the mini so far, but have had less than stellar results.  Probably 19 out of 20 go bang, but those are not odds I'd want to gamble with.

22man

Let us know your impressions after shooting your new ammo Bflying....

I expect you'll get better reliability with the CCI's than you did with the bulk rems and wins.

I prefer 22M over 22LR for SD, but I used to carry CCI stingers in LR and have only ever heard good things about them.

flyinbiker2001

Ok now time to eat my words,I will NEVER use Remmington Anything-went shooting yesterday my Lr was loaded as stated 1 CCI bird shot 4 Yellow jackets I skiped over the CCI and had 4 FTF's on the Yellow jackets after sitting in the LR for about 6 months- I do put a few drops of oil on it monthly it must have soaked into the powder

Dinadan

Flyinbiker - that is surprising. I have shot LR and Mag ammo that sat in  

my gun locker for over twenty years with no FTFs: but I do not think any of  

it was Remmington. Did you have other rounds from the same box to fire?