Pug or Mini Mag?

Pug
5 (83.3%)
Mini Mag
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: August-15-18 16:08

thethreelaws

So I'm rather interested in getting a Mini, and trying to decide between a Pug and Mini mag. Either way I'd want the holster grip, which for the Pug means an additional purchase, and a 22lr cylinder (I've found a Pug with the combo).

I've heard great things about the Pug, and am kinda leaning towards it, but I'm not sure how much benefit there is besides true sights--or how much benefit that will be on a 1" barrel.

Thoughts? Recommend something else? I've already got an M&P Shield .40 that'll be my primary CCW, but I like the idea of a convenient mini as a backup and "really can't carry a primary" situations.

Honky Tonk Man

I like the Pug better.  A little bulkier, but sturdier cylinder pin catch, better grips, better sights, and better looking. 
Not a fan of holster grips though.  (YMMV)
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

Uncle_Lee

Quote from: Honky Tonk Man on August-14-18 05:08
I like the Pug better.  A little bulkier, but sturdier cylinder pin catch, better grips, better sights, and better looking. 

I vote for everything Honky said.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

thethreelaws

Quote from: Honky Tonk Man on August-14-18 05:08

That all makes sense to me. What don't you like about holster grips? Seems like they'd let you get more of a grip, though I can see it being a little flimsy.

Warthog

Agree to both of the above posts. 8)

WELCOME 3LAWS!
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

top dog

Welcome 3laws!!  As you have already seen,a great bunch of folks here.

As for you choice,I prefer the PUG (make sure you get the auxiliary 22lr cylinder as well).

I have both the PUG and Mini but the PUG is the one pretty much always in my pocket.

I tried the holster grip on some of my minis but it did not suit me. But,that is my preference. Yours might be different.

Let us know what your choice will be.

Now,watch out,Uncle Lee will tell you to take pics and store it in a shoebox!!!!!!

Top Dog

thethreelaws

Well, my LGS's online store had a Pug with both cylinders for $380. Slightly pricier than I'd seen elsewhere, but no FFL fees and I have bought most of my guns from them (though the Pug only makes #4, plus my duty weapon, which I don't own yet).

Maybe this thread can turn into holster grip feedback. I'm thinking the Pug will be a backup or "swimtrunks" gun (any situation where I couldn't carry anything larger). This being an enthusiast forum, it seems like a lot of people here primarily carry NAA minis. For me, it needs to be the most convenient and concealable platform possible, as in most circumstances I'll have a larger primary weapon. Hence going with the Pug vs a BW or something with a bigger grip and barrel.

Honky Tonk Man

I forgot to welcome you 3Laws.  I hope you stick around.  I'm not crazy about the holster grip because:

#1. It requires one more operation to get it into operation, your adrenaline will be pumping, and you already have to draw, cock, aim and shoot.  Why add an extra step?

#2. It doesn't look or feel like a gun grip to me.  I admit this argument is pretty shallow.  It does give someone with big hands more to hold unto.  The standard Pug grip is made by Hogue.  It really is much easier to hold unto than the standard birdshead grip.  It's a little bigger, and stickier.  If after using it; you need a bigger grip, you can always add the holster grip, or even better, the Mini Master grip. 

billmeek

I like the Pug, but would suggest the Black Widow grips to go on it:

http://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=14966.msg153403#msg153403
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Warthog

Again not a fan of the holster grip.  I prefer a grip like Ihave one the ones below, which are my personal PUGS...one is ported with a Tritium sight too....
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

thethreelaws

Gotta say the wood grips look good. If I don't do the holster grip, I'll likely try a Sticky Holster, as that would work for pocket or tucked IWB. And in that case, I'd consider a *slightly* larger textured wood grip. The full BW grips are larger than I'd want--again, I'm aiming for this to be as concealable and convenient as possible. But slightly larger wood grips would make it easier to shoot while making it much more attractive--I'm a sucker for wood grips.

riadat

I would get the 1.6 inch magnum.

Ballistics as good or better than pug.  Sights don't matter for what is a short range weapon.

210 bucks shipped from buds compared to 288 shipped.

Does the money matter?  Not really but u can buy a couple boxes of ammo for difference.

To me that extra half inch might make difference between keyholing or not, expansion or not, penetration or not.

Which is why i carry in my pocket a 1.6 inch magnum with the sight filed down, and hornady critical defense ammo.

Don't care for holster grip.  Takes too long to get it out and shoot the gun. 

billmeek

From the numbers I saw on Labradar, the extra half inch of barrel doesn't make a whole lot of difference when using a short-barrel self defense ammo:

http://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=15168.msg156091#msg156091

I've fired a couple of hundred Speer Gold Dot - Short barrel 22 WMR (my carry ammo) so far and haven't yet noted any keyholing with the Pug. 

I personally disagree about sights not mattering.  Yes, the NAAs are really better at and most likely to be used a close range.  But I expect me to be reasonably accurate with any firearm I carry for self defense at more than belly gun ranges.  I also have a preference for night sights on any pistol I carry.

Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Honky Tonk Man

I'm on the...

top dog

HonkyTonkMan,
Are they all yours??  Gosh!! They are something else!!!

I guess you like your PUGS!! (pun intended).

Top Dog

riadat

My idea for naa mini is nobody sees it until they been shot by it.  Hopefully that never happens but that to me is the point of the weapon.

Same thing with carrying a knife.  Nobody is supposed to see it until its being withdrawn from their body.

So if target is more than 10 feet away, imo you are better off running or putting a car between you and whatever weirdo. 

If bad guy has a gun, and you have only an naa, you really don't want that scenario.  15 round of nine mil vs a pug?  Run!

Or in worst case scenario distract and surprise with a head shot.  Not a gun fighter weapon. 

Holster grip to me is sort of suicidal.  Pull it out.  Open the grip.  Get a good grasp.  cock the weapon.  fire.  No thanks!

Honky Tonk Man

Quote from: top dog on August-15-18 05:08
HonkyTonkMan,
Are they all yours??  Gosh!! They are something else!!!

I guess you like your PUGS!! (pun intended).

Top Dog

No Pugs here other than the one in my pocket, Top Dog.  Found on internet.  "I'm on the Rat Terrier Boat" just didn't fit this thread as well.  But since you asked... LOL

thethreelaws

I hope that Pugboat owner has a Pug in his pocket too! If not someone needs to get him one haha

Any other thoughts on the grip? I've heard it can be slung open with practice. I want it to be accessible in a self defense scenario, but I also want it to be as convenient and concealable as possible. Even a sticky holster adds bulk. And 99% of the time I'll be going for a primary weapon, so I'm not entirely focused on quick presentation like I might be if this was my primary.

top dog

HonkyTonkMan,
Looks like your Rat Terrier is right at home on your boat.
Does she pilot it once in a while???

Fishing w/o a dog ain't fishing at all.

Wish I could have a dog again but that ain't to be.

Mine passed away Nov 6,2000,just four days before her 15th birthday.

Top Dog

Honky Tonk Man

Riadat, you made some good points but didn't change my mind.  My Pug is easy to conceal and doesn't keyhole (so far).  My Black Widow with a 2" bbl. will occasionally keyhole, but only with .22LR, not magnums.  It only did that with Blazer ammo.  I hope no one here goes looking for a gun fight with anything in their pocket, let alone a NAA Mini.  Yet there are many circumstances where accuracy matters, and the better your sights are; the more accurate you'll be.  You can still snap shoot at point blank range without using the sights if that's what the situation calls for.  The Pug sights in particular, are designed to be among the quickest to align. Soon they'll be available on the BWs  and Mini Masters. 

The real reason I'm replying is to remind you to vote.  It's 5-0 Pugs as I'm writing this.  Show your choice some love.   

Warthog

PUG! PUG! PUG  :D

Love my PUG!
-Albert Einstein

BillsNAA

I now carry the Black Widow. I have carried the pug, the 22lr and the 22mag. If you believe that someday you may have to use your gun to save your life, you will want the longest barrel posible. The BW barrel is twice as long as the pug. The difference in velocity and impact are quite different. As far as the folding holsters go, the 22 lr looks like a knife in your pocket. The 22 mag not so much. It is is bigger and designed different.  Not to confuse you any more, but I would really consider the Black Widow.
Just my $.02

Canoeal

Mini long barrel. Or like me a BW...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Warthog

OK, I actually tend to carry my Black Widow most, not my PUG.  That would be my choice overall.  I understand the guy in the OP wants something he can put somewhere as a deep cover sort of back up so the PUG is my choice for that one, with Gold Dot for short barrels as the 22 WMR for carry ammo. ;)
-Albert Einstein

thethreelaws

Got myself a Pug. Shot about 50 lr and 5 Speer WMR. What a blast, more fun and easier to shoot than I expected. Still gotta decide on grip and holster but for now I'm pleased.

thethreelaws

More on subject, one amazon review of the holster grip had them break twice firing the Gold Dot magnum rounds. Anyone heard of that? That's gonna be my carry ammo and would obviously be a problem. I'm still a fan of it for the convenience, but found I don't have a problem shooting it with the stock grip, though the larger holster grip may help a little.

Warthog

Well 3Laws, never used the holster grips.  Never a problem with the boot grips on mine though.

Here's my Black Widow....
-Albert Einstein

billmeek

Most of the other forum users use a pocket holster to carry their NAA.  I put the Black Widows grips on my Pug and carry it in a belt holster from Rick at Desert Gun Leather:

Bill

thethreelaws

Rick's craftsmanship is beautiful, and if I'm looking for a classy leather holster, he's the first I'll turn to. I'm honestly looking at the sticky holster, if not the grip, due to being cheaper and more friendly with athletic short waistbands and such, and possibly their ankle holster. Reviews seem promising and if I don't like it, it's a 23 dollar purchase and can be used for range transport.

Honky Tonk Man

Congrats 3laws!  Looks good!  Like Billmeek said, IF I changed the grips; I like the Black Widow grips.  They do appear quite a bit larger, but they're thin and don't add much bulk in the pocket.  The stock Pug grips are a good compromise between gripping and concealing.  It's nice to have choices though, eh?  Hope your Pug serves you as well as it has for me. 

LushBob

ThreeLaws, if you're still in the deciding phase, I have a Pug (Mag only) with the Hogue grip that sticks pretty well in my hand and is fun to shoot, but I don't shoot it a lot.  Accuracy is marginal for me, probably because I don't shoot it a lot!

And I have a 3 inch Earl (both cylinders) which I really enjoy plinking with, I find it to be amazingly accurate (with mags, LR and shorts) if I brace it.  I use a holster grip on the Earl which really helps for good grip and accuracy, for me.  It  came with boot grips which I didn't like, couldn't grip them very well and too slippery.  When folded the holster can tuck fairly well in my pocket w/o much plastic showing.  But there are a couple downsides -- the holster is not ergonomic and the belt clip sticks into my palm, and when shooting mags the darn thing hurts if shooting more than a couple times. That extra couple inches of barrel really increases the kick, I think, compared to the Pug. I mostly shoot LR and shorts now at the range.  Secondly the grip is a little tough to drag out of a pocket, the clip snags the pocket edge pretty tight. Getting the gun out and opening the handle would not make for a lightning-fast deployment if that's important for you.  And lastly, it's ugly!  I don't CC it, i usually keep the grip open and carry it in its lockbox to the range.

I haven't tried the holster grip on the Pug, I suspect it would hurt some which wouldn't matter for CC use.  With practice you could probably get it ready in reasonable time, especially if you're situationally aware.  And it would be the best/only way to carry it on swim trunks, gym shorts etc.  Maybe you should just get 2 Pugs, one with and one without--  :)

Canoeal

Quote from: thethreelaws on August-16-18 12:08
Rick's craftsmanship is beautiful, and if I'm looking for a classy leather holster, he's the first I'll turn to. I'm honestly looking at the sticky holster, if not the grip, due to being cheaper and more friendly with athletic short waistbands and such, and possibly their ankle holster. Reviews seem promising and if I don't like it, it's a 23 dollar purchase and can be used for range transport.
Yes, Rick's holsters are nice, and Rick is a great guy to deal with, but your Sticky is what I carry everyday in the shop. It can be a bit messy in there, paint, varnish, epoxy and the like, along with wet sanding like I will be doing today. So, I keep Rick's for when I want or can use my 'nice" holster. Mine is a Black Widow, and I found the Sticky a bit too tight so I restiched it  (took 10 minutes, do it by hand not machine) and made it fit the way I wanted it. I use it mostly for pocket carry, but I have used it IWB with belted pants. No sure about elastic waistbands, that seems like poor retention, In that case, you may need something with a clip.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke