There could have had to be a .25 mini ?

Started by bearcatter, July-28-22 17:07

Previous topic - Next topic

bearcatter

Would you like a .25 mini?
Browning tried to replace the .22 LR with the .25 ACP in 1905. It didn't quite work out the way he hoped. What if it had been so successful that there was no .22LR now? I've wondered why it didn't, at least in handguns. There could have been a full rimmed .25 for revolvers.Why not? A few revolvers were made for the semi-rimmed cartridge, but ejection was an issue.
You can reload it. It moves through magazines better. The ballistics can be slightly better. It's much more dependable, and the price difference in 1905 or so couldn't have been much. If .25 was a common round now, it would be cheaper than it is.

I've seen a page from a 1903 Sears catalog. Box of fifty .22 Long was 22 cents. Fifty .32 S&W was 45 cents. .45 Colt was a dollar. But an average week's pay was around $8. Package postage was 3 cents per ounce.

https://revolverguy.com/a-thought-experiment-the-25-acp/

There is an 8 year old thread here that runs five pages, discussing a .25 mini compared to other calibers, etc.. My thread is for if the .22LR had disappeared 100 years ago.
https://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=938.70

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

RogueTS1

We love the .25 acp/6.35mm cartridge and the pistols that shoot it.  :)
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

bearcatter

Would you like rimmed .25s in a revolver? In a mini?
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

RogueTS1

Quote from: bearcatter on July-29-22 09:07
Would you like rimmed .25s in a revolver? In a mini?

Any .25 would catch our attention. We have quite the collection of them. In short, yes we would like one.  ;D
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

bill_deshivs

There would be no need for a rimmed cartridge in a mini revolver, as the empties are punched out manually.
.25 acp would work just fine.

bearcatter

But fully rimmed would be nice for a revolver with usual ejector. I think .25 ACP is maybe the only pistol cartridge without a near equivalent revolver cartridge.

heyjoe

i would. I have a number of 25 acp semi autos and a 25 acp derringer.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today