Extractor Issue on Sidewinder Magnum Cylinder

Started by Screwball, June-26-18 14:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Screwball

Today, I took a file to my Sidewinder's frame to allow for the cylinder to open up a little wider. In the process of testing, I had both cylinders in the gun, to confirm fitment... and noticed an issue with the Magnum cylinder. For clarity of this, I only filed the frame, and no part of either of the cylinder assemblies.

I left the LR cylinder in the gun, as it was the only rounds I had avalible when I first took it to the range. Back when I got it, .22 Magnum ammo wasn't as avalible... but since then, I've got some supply of it (never fired it in the revolver, by the way). So when I tested the Magnum cylinder, I opened it up and pushed the ejector. Just sort of a habit with other revolvers, but when I looked down, the extractor start was hung up above the face of the cylinder.

It sort of looks like the extractor rotates slightly, and the furthest part of the star gets onto the cut for the rim on the cylinder. When that occurs, cylinder isn't going to close. The extractor actually gets stopped by the shield. It is hard to get a measurement of slop in the extractor, but the end of the star's points look to move somewhere between 1/32" and 1/64".

Swap in the LR cylinder, works correctly 100% of the time. I can actually extend the extractor out, attempt to push it out of alignment, and not be able to cause it to happen.

Anyone notice this or know if it is something to contact NAA about? Don't get me wrong, if it was something that I'd actually have to try to get to occur, I wouldn't care about it... but this seems to happen more than not. If I just tap the rod back with my off hand, 9 out of 10 times results in it being misaligned. I can pinch the knob, and that gets better results (lets say it might do it 2 out of 10 times), but it just doesn't seem to be right.

-John

heyjoe

that was/is happening with some peoples Ranger II also. try oiling it thoroughly and pushing the ejector rod over and over for a while and see if that works it out. some people reported that that helped.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

Ruger

I, too, have carefully files the frame of both of my Sidewinders to allow the cylinder to swing out slightly further so the spent cartridges would clear the frame when extracted.  But I have not experienced the issue you describe.  Both extractors seem tight and fit well.  Contact NAA CS and arrange to have it fixed.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

motter

I have not seen this on my Sidewinder Mag cylinder.  Is there a bit of grit/gunk stuck inside some where?  Maybe blow out with air, oil, work gently??

Dinadan

I have not had that issue with my Sidewinders, so I do not have any suggestions. If you are loading the gun the cartridges should force the extractor into alignment, but it would annoy me if it were mine.

TheGunSmith

John- The cylinder star should align itself freely for reloading. This is something that is covered under warranty and we can rebuild your cylinder.

However with this being said, any modification to the frame to allow more travel does void the warranty of the revolver if the cylinder swings beyond the frame shroud. The SideWinder is designed to use the frame shroud as a counter for the cylinder to help with ejection of any spent rounds. If the cylinder travels past the frame shroud the counter action is no longer there and the cylinder can freely move past the shroud during ejection.

Dustin H.

Dinadan

Quote from: TheGunSmith on June-29-18 05:06

However with this being said, any modification to the frame to allow more travel does void the warranty of the revolver if the cylinder swings beyond the frame shroud. The SideWinder is designed to use the frame shroud as a counter for the cylinder to help with ejection of any spent rounds. If the cylinder travels past the frame shroud the counter action is no longer there and the cylinder can freely move past the shroud during ejection.

Dustin H.
Dustin - I do think I have ever seen this information anywhere. I do not want to hijack John's thread, but can you give us some more detailed information, maybe with a sketch?

Ruger

John- The cylinder star should align itself freely for reloading. This is something that is covered under warranty and we can rebuild your cylinder.

Dustin H.

I find it interesting that the cylinder not clearing the shroud can "help with ejection of any spent rounds".  When it doesn't clear the shroud, the inside two rounds can not be removed without rotating the cylinder a second time and pressing the ejector rod again.  And actually, those two rounds can hit the grips anyway before they fully eject from the cylinder.  Maybe I am misinterpreting what the "Shroud" is.  I am assuming that it is the flash shielding directly behind the cylinder not present in any other model.

RICKS PLACE

Thanks to Dustin H.  I have guessed some of what he had to say re warranty and concerns found with the Sidewinder models.  While I would guess the NAA gunsmith(s) and workers have more to do than read the moans, gripes, and ideas of the posters, I wonder how many problems could be solved is they could give information and answers to the forum more often.

LHB

From the time I bought my Sidewinder, the crane/ejector cleared the frame/shroud if turned correctly, but the problem with mine is that the empties hang up on the grips.   I have thought about modifying the grips so they clear, but have not done it.

Kimber1911

Hello John, you shouldn't have modified the frame, but the cylinder arm instead. That is what I did. My question is, does your problem occur when you have empty cases in the cylinder ? The empties should keep the extractor and the cylinder aligned. Check it out.    TTFN         R

Ruger

Quote from: Kimber1911 on July-03-18 20:07. . . . . .  you shouldn't have modified the frame, but the cylinder arm instead. That is what I did. . . . . . . .

I agree, one shouldn't have to modify the frame, as I think the Sidewinder should have already had a cylinder that swings out far enough to extract the spent cartridges.  But modifying the cylinder arm (Crane?) is what confuses me.  Yes, one can modify the Crane, I guess removing material to allow the arm to swing down lower, but I think what would need to be done would show on the outside of the arm when the cylinder is in place.  Maybe I am misinterpreting your comment.  As explained in a thread long ago, here is how I modified the frames of my sidewinders.  Keep in mind, it is a slow process, using the correct tools, checking and rechecking the work as you go.  There was very little material that was removed, and the method used shows no visible work was done.  I would never recommend for anybody to do this, unless you are a gunsmith, and don't mind the possibility of voiding the warranty.  First pic is where I modified the frame.  Second is the cylinder showing how it clears the frame. 

antares_b

Maybe I need more coffee, but I'm having trouble understanding how the described "counter action" could affect the alignment of the star. If the mag cylinder has the star misalignment but the LR cylinder doesn't, that sounds like a problem with the cylinder.

Screwball

Sorry for not getting back sooner, had a few things going on leading up to the 4th... just got things squared away.

Dustin H.

Dustin, that is not the case on the Magnum cylinder. The LR cylinder aligns freely each and every time. The Magnum cylinder does not. I may get lucky, but it is definitely over 50% chance of it not aligning.

In regards to the warranty, will NAA rebuild the cylinder under warranty if I modified the frame? I don't see how the two are mutually affected by one another. My modification is identical to what Ruger posted. I'm guessing the entire gun has to go back to NAA for it.

If that is a no on the warranty, then what does it cost to have NAA to rebuild the cylinder? I have zero rounds through the Magnum cylinder, but your guys rules in regards to warranty. I don't expect any special treatment.

-John

BladesNBarrels

I just bought my first NAA pistol, a Sidewinder, 1 1/2" Barrel, .22LR and .22WMR cylinders.
The extractors in both cylinders hang up with the chambers empty.  I put the plastic dummy rounds in both and tried them.  The extractors line up properly when using the dummy rounds. 
My problem looks like the cylinders are too tight against the barrel when I close them.  It is difficult to close the cylinders and require a lot of pressure to open them.  The .22WMR cylinder appears to bind and twist a little when I push it open.
I am hoping that they loosen up a bit when I fire a few rounds.  I am waiting for the gun ban due to the fire danger to be lifted and will try both cylinders using solid nose bullets, hollow point, and bird shot.

BladesNBarrels

Well, the gun ban was lifted and the fire danger was changed to Stage I.
Of course, we've had 3 days of rain and the range is a swamp.
For now, just loading the dummy rounds.

Ruger

WELCOME BLADES!!  Always good to see pictures from new guys at the firing line.  But keep right on the line and keep jumping in; we need your input, ideas, hopes, dreams, and life trials, too.  Glad to have you!  Nice Pics, too!