BYOBO Build Your Own Bugout

Started by MtGoat, July-28-17 18:07

Previous topic - Next topic

MtGoat

Not as flashy as the standard bugout but was playing around with this idea.

The 22 magnum box of ammo fits inside.

Now to figure out how to get and cut the foam insert.
Need foam that will not absorb moisture.

I still like the Bugout better but for the interim this would work.

This box is used to carry 10 - 10/22 factory 10 round magazines for my 17 MKII.
They fit like a glove in the box, like pelican made the case for the 10/22 magazines.

Any suggestions on the foam, where to get it and cut it for the SW?

Thanks
Pat

Canoeal

Most watersports outfitters have foam for fitting out kayaks. I buy it from a wholesaler in Virginia, but if you look for it online, I'm sure it would be easy to find. Mine is thicker and maybe a little denser than box foam, but it would cut and fit real nice. NRS (Northwest River Supply) is one such outfitter, Austin Kayak is another.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

OLD and GRUMPY

Look for a "Closed Cell" foam.Something with a skin. Have found it in dumpsters behind electronics stores.

-------------
A little off topic but you talked about 10-22 mags. I have the TriMag  connector works well.
TriMag   https://www.midwayusa.com/product/197535/alangator-trimag-triple-magazine-coupler-ruger-10-22-polymer-black

Think this is new want to try it.
Double Kross mag   https://www.midwayusa.com/product/954665/tandemkross-double-kross-magazine-body-ruger-10-22-translucent-polymer
Death before Decaf !!!!!

Canoeal

The watersports guys call it mini cell foam...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Uncle_Lee

God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

mainstreet

Ruger

Best foam to use for any firearm is Kaizen foam.  Can be purchased at Rockler.com

I use it for all my custom cases.  It is closed cell, so it will not absorb oil.  It is EASY to use, cut, and create custom setups.

A good trick is to cut and remove the shape you want, then cut a slice of the smooth top piece removed from the cutout and replace back into the hole.  It makes for a very nice smooth bottom to the cutout. 
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

swolf

What about a pool noodle for a foam source?  Water and oil proof, and can be found at the dollar store.  Colors will be loud though.  The foam can be sliced easily to shape and depth with a serrated bread knife.  The foam spacers can also carry odd spare rounds (a set of 5 bird shot, or powderless Colibri rounds....) 

Wally's Mart carries  small Plano waterproof safes for beach/watersport protection for wallet/keys/phone in a variety of sizes.  Not quite Pelican bombproof, but could handle some bashing around and possibly even burying.

Kevin55

I always wrap handguns in a silicon cloth before placing them in a case.
I've noticed handgun case foam will suck the oil out of most blued guns.

Why clear? You know what is inside.

swolf

Clear lids is what is commercially produced.  Small solid color Pelicans are pricey--probably 3 times the cost at least.

grayelky

That may be part of why a colored piece of rubber is included with the BOB: To hide what is inside, as well as pad the gun from the plastic lid.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Canoeal

Otter boxes are solid colors if you do not want clear.

Arts09

You just can't go wrong with the look of Faux Stag Grip. I think it's one of the nicest that's available besides the Rosewood.