Convenient, Reliable, Effective! (?)

Started by bearcatter, August-24-18 09:08

Previous topic - Next topic

bearcatter

The NAA slogan. Slogans are hard to decide on, and this one fits. Somehow though, it's just not quite right, to me.

"Reliable" is dead-on. "Effective" could describe a medicine, maybe? And. most any gun is effective. "Convenient" sounds more like a household product, like a recloseable snack package. "Convenient" is also a word the anti-guns can jump on, sounding a little cavalier to describe a weapon: "It was so convenient to pull this gun and shoot the bad guy. Any other gun would have been too much trouble".

So, what else is an NAA gun besides reliable? Protection. The main purpose of them, not plinking or targets. NAA guns are also small, easily carried until needed.

Top of my head, best I can think is, "Reliable Protection In Your (or A) Pocket". Any other ideas? Any marketing geniuses out there?
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

heyjoe

It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

bearcatter

Sandy himself said in an interview they were like American Express' "Don't Leave Home Without It", LOL.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

riadat

I don't have an American express but I have purchased around 10 minis in my life.

I think the slogan is right.  It's no 50 cal but it will have an effect for sure.

linux_author

down here in the near Tropics, the Sidewinder is the perfect solution for me for light wear - heck, i don't even own a pair of long pants...

willie
on the hot and humid Gulf of Mexico

RICKS PLACE

Never thought about it.  To me, there is no EDC gun really effective that can be carried in everyday dress.  NAA minis reliable ?, only as reliable as the 22 rimfire.  I give no available gun on the market better that a 3 1/2 - 4  star rating as an EDC gun.  I have carried (still do sometimes) a S&W J Frame for the past 40+ years, it may still be the most carried gun among LEO's retired and active.  While it is very reliable just as the NAA guns, it is not convenient to hide and carry as the NAA's.  So, just like my B/Ws, I give it a 3 1/2 - 4 star rating in the EDC field, which is what it's all about. I say NAA's logo is accurate , but only up to a point.   

billmeek

Quote from: RICKS PLACE on August-24-18 12:08
NAA minis reliable ?, only as reliable as the 22 rimfire.

How many failure to fires have you had out of quality 22 (LR or Mag) ammo from a NAA pistol?  While I've not shot the NAA pistols nearly as much as other forum members, I have yet to see a single failure to fire.

I've shot a massive amount of 22LR ammo lately, mostly from rifles, and it's extremely rare to see a round that didn't go off other than a light strike.  My Savage A22 FV FDX XP started intermittently light striking after shooting too many rounds before cleaning it.  A good cleaning fixed that issue.  My M&P 15/22 will also light strike at a high rate of fire if not perfectly clean and lubricated. 

My point is that I believe that a lot of the rimfire reliability stories out there could be attributed to the firearm rather than the ammo.  I've heard of bad lots and some of the bulk ammo has been less that spectacular, but I've had a very small number not go *bang* when using decent boxed ammo.

Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

jennflip

slogan---what the nitpickers carry----

smokeless joe

Quote from: bearcatter on August-24-18 10:08
Sandy himself said in an interview they were like American Express' "Don't Leave Home Without It", LOL.
Their size makes them convenient (to carry)

RICKS PLACE

Bill Meek is dead on re 22 guns must be clean.  I carried a Smith 5906 in open holster in all weather on a motorcycle.  I made a point of not cleaning it when I was about to go to the range.  Never in 9 years a single jam, misfire, or hiccup.  Then we were issued new ammo and gave it a good cleaning.  I usually cleaned it once a week, depending on the weather.   However, I  clean my NAA .22s when at the range after 2 cylinders of shooting.   As long as I do that, no misfires.  My point however, .22 ammo lube is dirty, stacks up in the cylinder, and has to be kept clean just as Meek says.  Nothing can be kept squeaky clean 24/7.  So until someone can tell me when I will need my B/Ws  to defend myself, I cannot say any rimfire is all that dependable.  A much more reliable, more effective  NAA revolver could be developed but it would have to be bigger while not as big as a J frame. and not as convenient.  NAA has a winner as it is, not perfect, but sure a winner.

Canoeal

Hey guys, it is a marketing slogan, not a guarantee. Let it go as it stands.
Pocket carry is convenient, NAAs are as reliable as any, and at ten ft, with the right ammo, yes they are effective. That is what they are made for. You want to shoot at 50 yds? Not so much, but keep practicing.

Oh that, and use clean, handgun designed ammo, not dirty crap.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

smokeless joe

Quote from: Canoeal on August-25-18 13:08
Hey guys, it is a marketing slogan, not a guarantee. Let it go as it stands.
Pocket carry is convenient, NAAs are as reliable as any, and at ten ft, with the right ammo, yes they are effective. That is what they are made for. You want to shoot at 50 yds? Not so much, but keep practicing.

Canoeal

"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

billmeek

Quote from: RICKS PLACE on August-25-18 09:08
However, I  clean my NAA .22s when at the range after 2 cylinders of shooting.

Since it's last cleaning, my Pug has gone through about 300 rounds of 22LR and 50 of 22 WMR without a single issue. I'll probably run another 200 or so through it too.  I carry the Pug in a belt holster so it doesn't get lint and other gunk in it.  I don't feel the need to overdo cleaning the Pug as it always fires.  My semi auto 22LRs (rifles and pistols) require a lot more care to fire reliably.

Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

mrmurl

"Always Handy, Reliable, and Effective".  That is what my BW is for me.  Although I pray that I will never have to use it, it is always handy for me to use.  I am confident that I can count on it if need be, and although almost any firearm would be effective I am also confident that the 22 Magnum Hornady Critical Defense I carry should be more adequate to do the job.  I carry also a Glock 27 with a KKM conversion to 9mm barrel, it is not always convenient to  have that on my belt, but my BW is always in my pocket. 
A gun is like a parachute; if you need it and don't have it, you probably won't need it again.

miker

<<How many failure to fires have you had out of quality 22 (LR or Mag) ammo from a NAA pistol?>>

Overall (all 22LR handguns) I've had 5/1093 (about .46%) from CCI, and 4/495 (about .81%) from Federal bulk.

Specifically from the NAA 22LR (mostly CCI) I've had 3/652 (about .46%).

These were rounds that took a second or third strike to fire. I've never had a total dud 22LR, but did have a 25ACP.

miker

maxmerc

About 99.9% in 22lr.
Only 50% in 22 WMR. Been back to factory  twice for repairs. Still a dud.

billmeek

Quote from: maxmerc on September-24-18 11:09
About 99.9% in 22lr.
Only 50% in 22 WMR. Been back to factory  twice for repairs. Still a dud.

Looking at your earlier posts, that 99.9% of the time you don't have a problem with 22LR.  Correct? 

Which NAA pistol combo do you have? 

I'd take another stab at having NAA correct the issue and be sure to mention that it's the 3rd time for it being repaired for the same problem.

Bill

maxmerc