Favorites Grips

Started by BillsNAA, October-27-18 12:10

Previous topic - Next topic

BillsNAA

On a whim, I ordered a set of engraved boot grips for my. 22LR Mini. I always thought the wooden birds head grips were awesome, however, the boot grips are over the top. I can't stop looking at them on the gun. They are worth every penny. What are your favorites.

Bj

Same for me, NAA engraved boot grips.

Honky Tonk Man

I also vote for the engraved boot grips. I got a 2.5" Sidewinder last week.  I ordered the boot grips a day or two later, and they came in yesterday.  Wow!  Perfect fit and well made.  They look better than the birdhshead IMO and the extra size and texture make them easier to control. 
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

Uncle Fatso

They ARE nice looking.  But for my carry gun the BW grips that it came with are more effective, to me.

Gbabs2

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Cvang or Thing Meister grips on a BW?

Canoeal

The ones I made. I am considering trying the 22 mag boot grips though...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Boisesteve

For me it's about balancing perceived attributes and failings.  If the grips are too small, my hands can't get a reliable controllable hold on the gun.  Too big and it won't conceal as well as with a smaller grip, and I might as well carry a bigger caliber if the gun is gonna be that size. 
So what works for me is the NAA .22magnum with 1 5/8" barrel and the Black Widow grips.  YMMV.
Be well all,  Steve in Boise 

Canoeal

Steve- I agree you need what works for you. The bird heads are to small to work. For me the standard grips on the BW worked OK. I wanted to see if something a little smaller, and wood could work for me. Pug grips did not work, too small. That is why I came up with the ones on my gun now. Yes the BW grips show a little more, mine a little bit less than that, but it looks like the boot grips might hide even better, if I can hold on to them. I won't know until I see/feel them. Since shops around here rarely have an NAA in the case, finding what I want is not easy. I would like to try boot grips, but spending money right now, just to try, is not going to happen...I like wood, that is obvious. I could make a set of Boot Grips after a fashion. but when I can right now, I need to work. So the exercise is purely mental at this point.
Pic shows the size difference and location difference from my Big Bird grips to the BW standard grip.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Gbabs2

Great over lay photo. Now if any one can duplicate that with boot grips ,...

smokeless joe

Quote from: Gbabs2 on October-28-18 06:10
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Cvang or Thing Meister grips on a BW?
Welcome Gbabs2 here is my Black Widow with a set of thingmeister grips. I’m happy with the set up. They are probably my favorite grip to answer BillsNAA original question and in case I missed it before welcome BillsNAA.

Gbabs2

Thanks for the welcome, there is such a lot of good information to be garnered from the members of this forum.Those Thingmeister's look great.

Uncle_Lee

Thanks for the pictures Folks. I needed them.

I have Cvang grips on the minis I carry because they don't move in my hand when I shoot. I don't have to shift the gun in my hand every time I fire a round.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Warthog

I like a bunch of them myself, the oversized ones from NAA (wood), and Boot Grips,plus CVang grips like on the BW below.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

smokeless joe

I like the look of the fluted cylinder on you Black Widow Warty

Warthog

Thank you Joe, I have both a fluted and non-fluted cylinder BW among other models.  At one time we here on the board did this,looked for both of these types of cylinders as both were being made.  It got crazy for a bit but finally I slowed down and was happy with what I already have. 8)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Boisesteve

Canoeal, I'm kinda envious of both the skillset that can make a set of grips like you made and also the woodshop in which to make them. I have neither. I'm lucky I can hang a picture frame level.    :P
Be well, Steve in Boise

Warthog

Gotta agree as I can't even cut two boards to the same length.  ::)  Those look great Canoeal!  Wish I could do that myself.  But until then I will stick to those I can buy from either NAA or CVang. 8)
-Albert Einstein

Canoeal

Thanks guys. working in wood is what I do; so yes, I do have a shop with some tools. Not as many fancy ones as you might think, only four free standing; bandsaw, table saw, drill press and 13" planer. My boats are usually bigger than the NAA grips, so that takes some creative thinking.  For me the challenge is working on small stuff.

Warthog

Canoeal, would love to own one of your canoes as well.  Maybe some day....
-Albert Einstein

smokeless joe

Quote from: Canoeal on October-29-18 10:10
Thanks guys. working in wood is what I do; so yes, I do have a shop with some tools. My boats are usually bigger than the NAA grips, so that takes some creative thinking.  For me the challenge is working on small stuff.
Nice stuff Al

smokeless joe

Here's an older pic of my Black Widow and Pug with some CV grips. Why? Because we like pics  8)

Uncle_Lee

Quote from: smokeless joe on October-29-18 13:10
Here's an older pic of my Black Widow and Pug with some CV grips. Why? Because we like pics  8)

Another old one of what I carry.

God, Country, & Flag

smokeless joe

Quote from: uncle_lee on October-30-18 03:10
Quote from: smokeless joe on October-29-18 13:10

Another old one of what I carry.

Watch out unc you might trip over the sights on that top Black Widow. Those look huge.

Uncle_Lee

I hate those sights.
I will be happy when NAA gets the replacements in stock.
God, Country, & Flag

smokeless joe

Quote from: uncle_lee on October-30-18 04:10
I hate those sights.
I think Jessica said early 2019 in another thread?

Uncle_Lee

Quote from: smokeless joe on October-30-18 04:10
Quote from: uncle_lee on October-30-18 04:10
I hate those sights.
I think Jessica said early 2019 in another thread?

Yep, & I am waiting.
God, Country, & Flag

Texduk3

Quote from: Canoeal on October-29-18 10:10
Thanks guys. working in wood is what I do; so yes, I do have a shop with some tools. My boats are usually bigger than the NAA grips, so that takes some creative thinking.  For me the challenge is working on small stuff.

Just an awesome Canoe !!
"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"

Canoeal

Restored Old Town from the 19teens...

billmeek

In case it hasn't been mentioned lately... y'all are a bad influence. 

Before and after shots below.  The new ThingMeister grips are made of OliveWood. 
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Canoeal

Nice looking wood.

smokeless joe

Quote from: billmeek on October-31-18 13:10
In case it hasn't been mentioned lately... y'all are a bad influence. 

Before and after shots below.  The new ThingMeister grips are made of OliveWood.
Sharp

Uncle_Lee

Nice pictures to wake up to..
Thanks
God, Country, & Flag

Honky Tonk Man

Those look good Bill.  How did they fit?  Was any trimming or shimming needed?  I bought the set NAA offers, but was a little disappointed in the loose fit.  They took them back no problem.  It's hard to tell by your pictures, but are they the same size as the BW grips? 
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

RogueTS1

Uncle Lee; I still love the way that laser on the middle one makes the end of the revolver look. It looks so much better that way in my opinion.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Warthog

May need some of those grips myself Bill.  I love the look of Olive Wood and the Oversized Grips like those at NAA fit my hand just right.
-Albert Einstein