For Those that Carry a Mini Revolver - Do You Carry a Reload?

Started by pvq, June-28-19 05:06

Previous topic - Next topic

pvq

I'm just curious.

Personally I DO carry a reload (and use a Desert Gun Leather holster with a pouch) for my Ranger II, But I DO NOT with my Pug. My thinking is that a reload under stress with a Ranger is plausible, albeit still somewhat difficult. With a Pug, IMHO it would be nearly impossible without dropping something under stress.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

bearcatter

I don't have a mini, but I think when carrying any gun you should have at least one reload. I'd rather have your thought of "nearly impossible" than not available. You never know what the situation may be; there may be a chance to load those extra rounds. With a mini you might drop a couple, but still have three to the good.

Has anyone thought to do like the old cap and ball days, carrying an extra loaded cylinder to save time?

I prefer the dependability of DA revolvers, but went with a semi-auto carry for the ease and speed of magazine reloads compared to speed loaders.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Uncle_Lee

Yes, I carry 2 reloads.
My main carry is a Pug.
My reloads are a pair of Black Widows.

If needed, drop one and grab another.

God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

bearcatter

Quote from: uncle_lee on June-28-19 06:06

My reloads are a pair of Black Widows.

If needed, drop one and grab another.

The New York reload, quick but pricey. You're carrying about 600 bucks worth of reloads. Drop them on something soft....LOL
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Astrosaint

Quote from: pvq on June-28-19 05:06
I'm just curious.

Personally I DO carry a reload (and use a Desert Gun Leather holster with a pouch) for my Ranger II, But I DO NOT with my Pug. My thinking is that a reload under stress with a Ranger is plausible, albeit still somewhat difficult. With a Pug, IMHO it would be nearly impossible without dropping something under stress.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Greetings:

For the Mini Master, I keep the .22Magnum round in the gun and carry the .22LR cylinder with ammo in a small pill bottle.

Astrosaint

autofull

yup, i do, 10rds per pug as i carry two but i do not expect to reload but can if i want to.

Bigbird48

I don't carry a reload, if your in a SD situation and use 5 rounds and the threat still exist your a dead man. If I'm in my car I have a 38 plus my BW but on the bike just my BW and having my pockets full of other minis is just not feasible. :D

RogueTS1

I always do. I carry a speed strip holding ten extra rounds. With a bit of practice a reload can be done fairly quickly and efficiently. It really is not that hard to do. This is the Princess' Mini set up. I have one similar but alas no photos of the Pug in its get up.

Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

grayelky

I do not carry spare 22 mag on me. I sell Desert Gun Leather ammo pouches in the shop, and now carry one in my truck and another on my M/C. DGL pouches are an inexpensive and easy way to carry a few rounds.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

rattlehead

I do have an extra 5 rounds in my pocket holster but I highly doubt I'd be able to get them loaded quick enough in a bad situation. But if 9 Rounds from my Shield, 8 more rounds from the extra mag, and another 5 rounds from my Pug can't save my ass, I'm in over my head anyway.

Dinadan

I do carry five extra rounds. My pocket holsters have a little cartridge holder build in.

Adk.IBO

Yes, I carry 5 extra rounds in a speed (a little faster than real slow) loader in a Desert Gun Leather pocket holster for my Pug. Still contemplating a NY reload with a second Pug or a Black Widow...
Luke 23:34

RICKS PLACE

Some weeks ago, I talked to Rick at Desert Leather and ordered  a pocket holster for my "starting to carry" Ranger II.  Never thought about a reload with my B/W. At first, I told him I  carry a New York reload (Pug) and really didn't want the 5 round pouch. I figure a NY Reload is the only "make sense" way to get off more than 5 round from packing a mini during a disagreement.   He "sort of" talked me into it and I am glad he did.  Not only do I have spare ammo, but it gives me a "hook" to pull the Ranger as I draw it from my pocket.  So, yes, I carry spare ammo.   

pvq

Quote from: RICKS PLACE on June-28-19 15:06
Some weeks ago, I talked to Rick at Desert Leather and ordered  a pocket holster for my "starting to carry" Ranger II.  Never thought about a reload with my B/W. At first, I told him I  carry a New York reload (Pug) and really didn't want the 5 round pouch. I figure a NY Reload is the only "make sense" way to get off more than 5 round from packing a mini during a disagreement.   He "sort of" talked me into it and I am glad he did.  Not only do I have spare ammo, but it gives me a "hook" to pull the Ranger as I draw it from my pocket.  So, yes, I carry spare ammo.

One of the reasons I asked the question is because, like you, I am a Pug owner who just purchased a Ranger II. Also, like you, I ordered and am carrying a Desert Gun Leather holster with the ammo pouch, which I really like. IMHO, the nature of the Ranger II sort of lends itself to the little ammo pouch considering the relative ease of reloading.

I am also in the market for a new holster for my Pug, and was debating whether or not to order the SAME holster for my Pug, or go with a Shark Fin Design from the Absaroka Kid, which looks like it will work really well...but does not have a pouch. To my way of thinking, the relatively more difficult reloading of the Pug makes it less critical to be carrying a reload since I honestly can't see a scenario where...under stress, one would be able to successfully accomplish a reload. It would be tough enough with a Ranger or Sidewinder, and that's without worrying about the pin. I really like my Desert Gun Leather Holster, but I prefer not to buy two of the exact same product.

I ordered the Absaroka holster earlier today.

Warthog

I carry at least one reload. I also tend to carry a bit larger primary firearm.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

smokeless joe

I carry my Pug in a pocket holster that has a built in ammo pouch so yes I have a reload. Do I think I would have the opportunity to use said reloads in a stressful situation? No. They are there because the pouch is there. When not at work it is rare that I'm not carrying a second firearm so a reload would hopefully not be required.

pvq

I am a 30 year law enforcement veteran. Of course when on duty I am carrying a larger primary firearm, but increasingly when I am off duty I am carrying my NAA as a primary. I found this video very interesting in this regard. I know that many...even here will disagree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv6PxB2TqLM

top dog

Yep,
A ten round speed strip but I figure that no speed load would be possible.  A better idea would be maybe a second PUG.

NYPD did a study years ago on 6,000 shooting in a ten year period of time. (SOP 9). Showed that all took place in less than 21 feet with the vast majority in less then ten feet.  No reloads ever and this was during primarily when revolvers ruled.

Top Dog

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: pvq on June-29-19 06:06
I am a 30 year law enforcement veteran. Of course when on duty I am carrying a larger primary firearm, but increasingly when I am off duty I am carrying my NAA as a primary. I found this video very interesting in this regard. I know that many...even here will disagree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv6PxB2TqLM
Thanks for posting the video.  I had not seen this you tube channel before, after seeing this video I watched several more.

I like the approach of this channel, stating facts and giving the backup statistics vs. only giving an opinion.

When he does give his opinion he clearly states that it is, and why it works for him.

After attending gun shows and hearing time after time "A gun is only worth carrying if the caliber number starts with a 4" it's refreshing to hear someone in the "Gun Biz" acknowledge that other calibers are an option and carrying as a citizen vs. as LEO have different goals.
Rick Jorgenson

Texduk3

"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"

Canoeal

I agree with the video. I do not carry a reload around the shops, I have a 20 round box (formerly snake shot) on the shelf with the Arrow staples. In the paint shed the are 7 rounds in a test strip container (which will also fit a magnum cylinder). No need to carry more. Going out? I am not expecting to be able to reload in a SD situation, but depending on where I am going, I still carry some any way. Either a 9 round pouch, a 5 round pouch or take a holster, like my DGL, with 5 rounds. Sometimes, all of the above, if there might be a chance at plinking. Plenty of options...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

LHB

I carry a reload, but hope to never have to use the primary in a self defense mode,   As I saw it explained once, the odds are that the first exchange will be short an quick, and the perp may be down, or leave, but what if he comes back, or his friends show up in a couple of minutes, and now you are a little short on ammo but you may have time to reload.   I carry five rounds in a Walgreen's metal pill container.

KEN AR

Yes I carry extra.  Why?  I was a Boy Scout, Always be prepared.  If I did get into a SD situation I would still want to at least have the option of the reload. 

Even when I carry other guns I have back up ammo. Magazine speed strip or some method of carry for the extra rounds.

What can I say DGL can fix you up with ammo holders of your choice. 
Rick did a great job on my NON-MINI rig for my S&W Governor.  45 LC/ 45 ACP and 410.
Ken AZ is now KEN AR, moved in 2021 to the Natural State
Black Widow MAG/LR, Mini Master, Mini 1 5/8" Mag/LR
Desert Gun Leather holsters
https://desertgunleather.com/
RevisionCV.com Grips

Uncle_Lee

Oh Yes,
The day starts off right.
Thanks.
Beautiful leather.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

gadget

Altoids Small tin holds 18 rounds of .22 Mag or 21 rounds of .22 LR. Cut to size piece of shelf liner in lid and bottom stops all rattles. I have one of each loaded up all the time. I've carried them for years. I forget it's in my pocket.

gadget

Picture. Stagger the rounds. One up, one down

gadget

Texduk3

"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"

RogueTS1

We always carry reloads for everything.  ::) How likely are we to use them? Not very but we prefer the option to be there should the need arise.  8)

PS: at least one reload for every firearm carried.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

RogueTS1

Different day but still at least one reload for each firearm carried:  ;)

smokeless joe

Quote from: RogueTS1 on July-01-19 13:07
Different day but still at least one reload for each firearm carried:  ;)
Top photo m-f bottom photo weekend?  8)

Ruger

Gadget - I use the same Altoids small mint box!  I see you added a little padding, just as I found to be useful.   Always great to see like minds in this Forum.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

gadget

Ruger

Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.