Second Range Trip with Sidewinder-New Video and some questions

Started by MinkontheLoose, December-17-12 13:12

Previous topic - Next topic

MinkontheLoose

I put another 50rds through my sidewinder today putting the total number of times fired at 100 since purchase.
I'm using Winchester Super X 40gr 22 Mag.
Its a fairly accurate gun, and I love the way it shoots. Unloading it has been a pain though, as the empty shells have been getting stuck. It did this my first range trip as well. I am going to purchase some CCI ammo and see if the same problem occurs.

Also, I was wondering how many of you with Sidewinders have taken them out and shot t?hem yet?
Also, what types of ammo have worked for you?
Have you had any trouble with with cylinder opening while firing?
This happened to me several times before I ran out of ammo. it seems the pin would pop out of alignment.
As promised, here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTOhoUryoM4

Dinadan

I am still waiting, so no range trip for me. I do plan to shoot it, not keep it pristine. I liked your video, especially this frame:

MinkontheLoose

I'm glad you like the video, the 22mags do have alot of muzzle flash.  If only I had a high speed camera.

Kevin

As far as the sticking empty cases go, does it begin with the first cylinder-full shot, or after several? The chambers might be getting dirty, causing the cases to stick. It might also be the cylinder expanding from the heat of firing. You might try gently polishing the chamber walls. I would try putting a gentle abrasive, such as baking soda, or toothpaste, on a cleaning patch and seeing if working that through the chambers for a couple of minutes helps.

I don't know if the cylinder would be opening due to recoil and inertia disengaging the area that holds the pin in, or possibly due to unburnt powder working it's way into the pin's locking area.

Kevin

Uncle_Lee

It looks like there is more fire out of some shots than others.
To me there are some that there is just recoil and no flash.

Thank You Very Much.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

CavScout

Quote from: Kevin on December-18-12 01:12
As far as the sticking empty cases go, does it begin with the first cylinder-full shot, or after several? The chambers might be getting dirty, causing the cases to stick. It might also be the cylinder expanding from the heat of firing. You might try gently polishing the chamber walls. I would try putting a gentle abrasive, such as baking soda, or toothpaste, on a cleaning patch and seeing if working that through the chambers for a couple of minutes helps.

I don't know if the cylinder would be opening due to recoil and inertia disengaging the area that holds the pin in, or possibly due to unburnt powder working it's way into the pin's locking area.

Kevin

Smith & Wesson .22LR revolvers tend to foul the chambers after just a couple of cylinders full. I've shot model 17's, 34's, and 63's... there has been times I needed a soft face mallet to eject the empties. I now carry a pistol rod with nylon brush when I take one out to shoot. Two or three strokes per chamber gets it back where it was before firing.

I haven't fired my Sidewinder yet, but am wondering now if recoil is causing the ejector rod to move forward relative to the frame. The same effect has been reported about bullets traveling forward out the case with hot loads when crimping, etc. is inadequate.

The effect may be variable with different ammo, based on how steep the recoil curve is. May need a stiffer spring retrofit if it seems to be a repeatable behavior.

I would not want to drop a hammer on a cylinder that's not fully in battery. I don't know how far the chamber can be out of alignment with the barrel and still have the firing pin engage the primer, but that would not be a condition I would want to experience.  :'(
"It is a lesson of history that it is ethically, morally, and philosophically impossible to have too many personal weapons, whether they be edged, impact or projectile."
- David W. Loeffler