Ruger LC9 newest 9mm pocket pistol

Started by takumaku, January-04-11 18:01

Previous topic - Next topic

takumaku

Woohoo! Another pocket pistol comes to market.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9/models.html">http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9/models.html

Anticipated ship date: Feb. 01, 2011

01/03/11 - Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.announced today their new LC9 pocket handgun. The LC9 is a double-action-only, hammer-fired, locked-breech pistol with a smooth trigger pull. Control and confident handling of the Ruger LC9 are accomplished through reduced recoil and aggressive frame checkering for a positive grip in all conditions. The Ruger LC9 features smooth "melted" edges for ease of holstering, carrying and drawing.

niterider

My, my.....same measurements as the Kahr CW9. Same capacity. Looks make me lean toward the Kahr. Price is nearly the same. Hummm....

bill_deshivs

Copy of the Keltec PF9 concept, with added safety.

traveller

I am a fan of smaller pistols (as I suspect post people on this board are) and I think Ruger has done some neat things with small format guns in the last few years, but I think I will stick with my Kahr MK9.

grayelky

Here are the stats for the PF9, from KelTec's web site:

Caliber: 9mm Luger                        

Weight unloaded: 12.7 oz.                            

Loaded magazine: 5.5 oz.                              

Length: 5.85"                                

Height: 4.3"                                  

Width: 0.88"                                  

Barrel Length: 3.1"                                  

Capacity:                     7 + 1  

Trigger Pull: 5 lbs                                  

I will reserve judgment until I get my hands on one. Ruger did a fine job copying the KelTec P3AT. I would have preferred they copy the KT P11 with the higher mag capacity, maybe using the SR9 mag as a base. I am not a big fan of the 9mm, but if I have 10 or 12, like the P11, I don't mind, if it is light. The LC9 seems to be about 1/3 heavier than the PF9.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

yncrogers

I just pulled out my PM9 and measured the length - (unofficial of course) 5.5" long.  The Ruger is 6" - that extra 1/2" makes it too long to carry in the back pocket (my preferred method of carry).  I looked at the PF9 in hard chrome but ended up with the Kahr for exactly that reason!  New member - I pick up my Pug later today!

grayelky

Yncrogers-

Welcome to the forum!

lohman446

I wish they had cut down capacity and height... well height, I understand having to give up capacity.  But 4+1 shots of 9MM would to me be better than 5 shots of .38 offered by the 642. I could have lived with a bit shorter length as well.
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun" - Tenzin Gyatso - the 14th dalai lama

westerly1965

Yncrogers Welcome to the forum!!  Always good to see new members.

redhawk4

I got an email from Ruger regarding this new model on Monday.

No doubt it will start up hysteria similar to that of the LCP and you'll see them in the classifieds for silly prices.

I'm not familiar enough with Kel Tec's to know if it's a copy of one or not. My only point, at the expense of offending those who own Kel Tecs, is why is a company like Ruger copying, what IMO are, very cheap and nasty looking little guns. I know the answer is obvious based on the LCP success, but I for one expect better of Ruger, I associate the name with something different. It's like hearing Mercedes is going to start building Chevvy Metros with the Mercedes badge on it.

Based on my LCP experience it will require several years of their quality assurance and product testing to be carried out by their customers, before I'd give one even a second glance.

Also welcome to Yncrogers
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

rjtravel

There must be a waiting market for Ruger diehards...the KelTec would be very hard to beat at any price.  It must be that the market controls what is offered and not quality brand association, i.e. one can now but a Cadillac SUV, and Mercedes bus and work trucks are everywhere in some parts of the world (Middle East and Israel IIRC).

Richard

yncrogers

Thanks for the warm welcomes!  Redhawk4 I own a Keltec P3AT and I am not offended!  My P3AT will chew up any 380 I put in it - Ruger copied it because it works and was wildly successful.  Keltec ruled the small 380 market until Ruger came out with the LCP so I am sure Rugers line of thought was to make a prettier P3AT - I think they did pretty well with the LCR.  I haven't had a chance to look at the internals of the new Ruger but I will bet they are pretty much the same as the Keltec.  In the meantime, I will stick with my Kahr PM9 with XS Big Dots for my backpocket gun and my Pug for front pocket carry when the Kahr is too big i.e. gym shorts, dress slacks, etc...

westerly1965

Had a friend back home last month that had just purchased a pair of LCP's. We ran about 200 rounds threw one of them without any problems at all. I gotta say other then the recoil (which is expected in a gun this size) they were good shooting little guns. My wife even fired and liked it. I still like my Guardian better but in all reality probably only because its metal not composite. The new one looks cool I hope someone picks one up so we get a range report on it.

fordfan

I will hold onto to my 4 inch Earl until I can't shoot it anymore, but my Ruger LCP has not failed me, around 225 rounds, not much but it has flawlessly fired ball and hollow points.

I might take a closer look at the LC9.

I ended up picking up the LCP when I couldn't find any .380 Guardians close by.

heyjoe

I dont get why the LC9 is as big as it is. It is larger and markedly heavier than a few of the other compact 9mm's besides the Rohrbaugh namely guns made by Kahr, Keltec and Taurus. I would have thought they would have tried to make a 9mm of relatively the same size and weight. Its definitely not a gun i would have to have. I would rather have seen a .327 or 9mm lcr.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

redhawk4

Firstly I admit I'm not a fan of the appearence or feel of Polymer guns, but function is more important than form so I would never say I wouldn't own one. However, a look at the internals of my LCP left me thinking there was no way I'd stake my life on it. The Guardian internals are in a totally different league, it it not filled with cheap looking stamped parts. The fact the LCP was found not able to fire +P rounds was a huge demerit for me, it seems that was an issue with the barrel strength based on a much publicised failure with hotter Magtech ammo - this only came to light after release and owners manuals were revised.

In conclusion my reasons for being an ex LCP owner, actually stem from the metal parts not the polymer. I certainly did not expect Ruger to put such cheap poor quality looking parts in their product anymore than I would have expected NAA to put such things in their BT.

I would much prefer other people to be the Guinea Pigs on this one.

grayelky

Why did Ruger copy the KelTec P3AT? Easy answer: KelTec could not keep up with demand. Why make a 9mm the size of a PF 9? Again, an easy answer: KelTec can't keep up with demand. Why didn't Ruger make the LC9 lighter? Not such an easy answer. Perhaps by adding weight, it will make it much easier to shoot accurately. A lot of people (not including me) don't seem to mind carrying a gun that is a little heavy. Relying on memory, I think the LC9 is about the same weight as a Glock 26/27/33, but less capacity, and thinner. I'll take the capacity over thin.

bobt

"It's like hearing Mercedes is going to start building Chevvy Metros with the Mercedes badge on it." I think Mercedes calls it the Smart for 2. Its prettier and gets about the same fuel economy but the Metro carried 4 passengers (more functional) and cost a lot less. Hmmm, the P11 might be a good deal. The Ruger LCP trigger pull is great so that might be an advantage for the LC9.

redhawk4

At least Mercedes were smart enough to not call the Smart a Mercedes.

From memory it seems the Metro had better economy than the Smart, two extra seats and didn't cost as much as a "real car" like the Smart does(there's progress) - perhaps it will be called the EvenSmarter on it's relaunch.

cedarview kid

Wait--are you saying Mercedes makes the Smart car?

lohman446

Yep, and in the original magazines sent to Mercedes dealers they had pictures of them in clear cubes stacked on one another to conserve space.  This was when they were only in Europe and I was working in GA - mid to late 90s?
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun" - Tenzin Gyatso - the 14th dalai lama

cedarview kid

I don't have anything against the Smart cars--i like strange things--but every time I see one on the road, I just have to laugh to myself. They just look so... goofy. It just seems that if one was ever in an accident, that it would roll like a basket ball.

I'd likely own one if they weren't so expensive (not necessarily expensive for a car, but for a TINY car, LOL).

41magmag41

Not to get off the subject but the smart car was recently tested in the Insurance Institue crash tests and came out with 5 stars in all catagories.  They even had it hit offset with an SUV and it did well protecting the occupants.

The main thing you have to watch for is secondary impacts as it bounces around after being hit.

And thank you I'll keep my guardian for concealed carry.  Have fed it about 700 rounds and its eaten everything I've fed it.

westerly1965

41 Mag I agree with you.  But like HeyJoe I wonder why it is so big.  The object behind carrying something like the Guardian or the LCP is the convenience of the smaller size.  This gun shoots 9mm and is quite a bit bigger then the .380 in comparison to the size increase in the round fired.  I dunno probably will never understand how they think.

cedarview kid

I personally am having extreme difficulty resisting good deals I see on Glock 26's and 36's. Sheesh, I want one or the other, but don't have the cash.

Dar

lohman446

What I found on the 26 I owned.  I ended up putting a magazine extension on it. At that point it was as tall as a 19 and I should have just bought the 19.

Also note you can buy conversion barrels for the .40s (such as the 27) to shoot 9MM or 357 SIG but not the other way around.  You need to use the appropriate magazine but it gives you a cheap "dual" gun.

gcwimmer

I found this to be better than the extension on my G27, much more comfortable with out adding height.

http://concealablecontrol.com/">http://concealablecontrol.com/

heyjoe

It really depends on the size of your hands. I have no trouble at all using the ten round magazine accurately and am able to control the gun easily.  

Lohman actually has a good idea (never thought i'd be saying that today) with the .40 and its ability to use.22lr,  9mm or 357 sig barrels. I know you can use a .22 barrel with the model 26  The model 36 only has a capacity of 6.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

westerly1965

If anybody is into Sigs you can buy that .22 LR conversion kit for some of their .40 cal models as well.  I can't afford Sigs personally but I have some friends that swear by them and have done the conversion.  It's a great way to shoot the gun alot with lower dollar ammo..