Pug vs Sidewinder vs Wasp

Started by warrnan, May-31-14 20:05

Previous topic - Next topic

warrnan

First time poster here.  My bestfriend has a 1 5/8" wasp with a mag/LR conversion and it really got me interested for those times I'm printing my LCP really badly in tight dress pants or outside in my swim shorts during the summer.  Really want one for that "always with me" firearm.    I'm trying to decide between one like his or a Pug or a Sidewinder.  I love the pug's sights, the SW swing out cylinder.  It also occurred to me that the slightly longer barrel might be more accurate and have better penetration/energy.  I wish they made a Sidewinder with 1 5/8" barrel and Trituim sights.

Questions for Sidewinder owners: I noticed the specs on the main naa site show the sidewinder as being wider than all the other minis at 1 1/16" instead of 7/8".  Is this girth in the grips or the cylinder? Also I am including this pic of a pug / sidewinder I found because it shows the SW as being 1 3/8" on this ruler if you include the crane/frame in your measurements but the specs say 1".  How does your SW measure??

Questions for the folks who have a pug and a standard bead front sight mini: does your tritium sight make a functional difference in accuracy? I know these guns are meant for contact distance shooting but does it make things easier during your range sessions? Or do you do just as well with your bead sight?

For those who have a sidewinder and a normal type mini: Is the swing out cylinder an amazing improvement or is the old way mostly as good? 

Perhaps i'll get a sidewinder and order a pug grip and a BW grip to try them out.  I think I couldn't pick a bad naa but still. I'm torn and I'd like some advice on my first naa purchase. :) Thanks everyone and God bless!

ikoiko

Hi and welcome.
These are up close guns.
Tritium may help in low light situations.
Energy , accuracy, on these little guns is a coin toss and is shooter dependent .

Pick one, practice with it . . . .  then feed the addiction and buy an/the other.

2ยข

warrnan

Thanks Ikoiko  :)

I intend to follow that advice to the letter.  Now to find some .22 ammo.

grayelky

Seems part of your post has been answered, and for my $.20 worth, I agree with ikoiko. I would add if you go with a standard min, get the 1 5/8 barrel. I find it carries just as well in a jeans pocket, and, there is a slight velocity advantage.  My current carry is a 1 5/8 Wasp, alternating with a 1 1/8 Black Jack.

You are not the first to notice the SW is advertised as a 1" barrel but actually measures 1 3/8", per the ATF's way of measuring a revolver's barrel. No one has as yet arrived at an answer to your question. I cannot address the width part of your query.

As to the accuracy of trit sights, they are not designed so much for accuracy, as for visibility. I would like to see a front trit on more models of minis. This would help to find the front sight in a low light self defense of situation. When was the last time you heard of a crook doing his business in daylight or under a street lamp?
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Adk.IBO

I sure like my wasp. It was for expenditure control. I was looking for a Black Widow when I saw the Wasp. If I had gotten the BW I would have changed the grips and been tempted
to put a laser on it, all more money.

Stay safe, John
Luke 23:34

Dinadan

Warman - aside from the grips, the Sidewinder is the same thickness as all the other magnum Minis. The cylinder is the thickest part and it is the same.

I think all the Sidewinders measure the same in barrel length - they certainly look identical.

Regarding sights: I have the tritium sight on my Pug and it is a nice touch. I have questioned its actual utility in a self defense situation since I doubt that most folks who are being mugged will really aim. If they do, then Grayelky makes a good point about finding the sight quickly. Personally, for plinking, I like the bead sight on my Sidewinder better than the Pug's sight.

When it comes to the swing out cylinder I would say that it is a great improvement for me. I do most of my shooting in an informal setting out in the woods or on a creek bank, no handy shooting bench to lay stuff on. I appreciate not having to hang on to the cylinder pin and cylinder while I reload. For actual self defense, where reloading is extremely unlikely to be necessary or possible, I do not think the swing out cylinder will make any difference.

My only strong advice is to get a conversion with LR and Mag cylinder. No matter which gun you decide on, having the LR cylinder will give you more options, especially for plinking.

warrnan

Dinadan - Thanks for the dimension help.  I'll swap out the grips to bring it down to standard 7/8 size if I grab a Sidewinder but maybe the extra girth will give better purchase, hmmm....
Indeed I don't think I'd ever try a high stress reload unless I was toting my LCP or CM9 that day.  I bet the swing out cylinder would make practice quicker and easier facilitating better accuracy through more practice.  I will certainly get a LR and WMR conversions for practice/self defense respectively.   

Adk.Ibo - The wasp is what inspired my love of NAA's. Such a good little gun, My friend's skeletonized hammer broke due to dry fire but NAA replaced it no questions asked for free with a solid one. :) It is a good compromise of sharp looks, longer barrel and quality grip.  I feel you about the expense, firearms aren't a cheap hobby! Saving up my nickles for my mini right now. 

Grayelky - Ah. quick targeting.  They should really offer an option for all models. I'd pay $40 extra every time for that.  Thanks for confirming my 1 3/8" barrel length.  ATF huh? The bureaucrats complicate and stupify every thing.  haha. 

I really appreciate everyone's input.  You folks are pure gold.  Be safe and God bless. 

warrnan

Quick question. How much does your fully loaded pug, wasp or sidewinder weigh?

I have the unloaded weights and can't find loaded weights or the weight of a .22 wmr cartridge anywhere. Thanks! Doing a spreadsheet of gun specs and I knew you all could help a brother out. :)

Adk.IBO

My wasp is right at 7 ounces w/ Hornady Critical Defense ready to go. My scale may not be reliable. It's a small plastic digital type I picked up at the end of a school bus run, no one claimed it, imagine that. I didn't even know what it was when I took it to my supervisor. I'm glad my biz picked up enough I don't need to do that anymore.

Stay safe, John
Luke 23:34

warrnan

John - Thanks. I appreciate that for what it's worth. Crazy 5 rounds is under an once! :)

Stay safe. God bless.

warrnan

Just to let you fine folk know, picked up my convertible sidewinder yesterday from my LGS. I really love it. My finger is blistered from working the action so many times!  ;D It is truly a beautiful gun and made me smile.

Soon I'll order either a pug grip or wasp grip and give them a try. Recommendation?

God bless and be safe.

warrnan

Here she is. I'm going to have to clean her up and give her a nice name as she was used....

TwoGunJayne

If you're going to cycle it so much, you might want to spring for some spare mainsprings. They're cheap. You get maybe 5k hammer drops with one if you're lucky.

warrnan

Good idea. Thanks Jayne. :)