Advice Please

Started by BMS52, May-18-17 14:05

Previous topic - Next topic

BMS52

I gave my brother my NAA .22 Mag as a gift when he retired several years ago.  I've decided to make him a holster and matching grips in Stingray because he loves the "grippiness" (if that's a word) of that skin.  I've been making holsters for semi-auto's for the past 9 - 10 years but have never made a holster for NAA or any other revolver.  Can you make any suggestions as to what I should pay particular attention to. 

Below is a picture of my first attempt.  When I got looking at it I started wondering if the hammer needs to be 100% covered or is a retention strap the way to go.  Also, is a back plate or wallet plate desirable on these guns?.  We put them on almost all of our Seecamp holsters to make them print like a wallet when they are in your front or back pocket but I'm not sure here.  It would definitely hide the bump of the grip better but it adds thickness. 

I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have as to what makes the best and most user friendly Holster.

Thanks
[email protected]

EvilWayz

Well I know what I want for Xmas...

Depends on the person.  Is this a surprise?  If it isn't, ask him.
And Hades followed with him...

Bigbird48

The hammer doesn't have to be completely covered. If gun fits tight into to the holster then I don't think a strap is necessary .Its just one more thing to do to draw the gun. If its a loose fit then yes a strap might be a good Idea. My BW is a tight fit I wear on my belt or carry in the pocket no strap hammer exposed .

grayelky

I have found over the years if the hammer is not covered, it has a tendency to wear my front pocket somewhat quickly. There are those on here who state they have found their mini rolled from the safety notch to the loaded round resting under the hammer. I have only found this to happen to me once.

I have visited your web site on a couple occasions, but have not made a purchase yet. Your holsters have caught my attention.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

lefty dude

Cover the hammer.

Gus1759

What lefty dude said, I like the rig though.

BMS52

Thanks Guys.  I'll make another one for him with the hammer covered completely.  I know my brother's a pocket carry guy but what do you think is the most common carry for NAA's. 

Front Pocket
Back Pocket
Belt 
IWB

I know it's personal preference but from your knowledge of past posts, what do you think?

Thanks for the kind remarks and the help.
Brian

grayelky

Front pocket for me, and most of my regular customers.

EvilWayz

Say whats the process that bonds the skin to the handle material?  Cuz I got a wild idea, could you stingray my v-mag lasergrIp?

grayelky

Evil-
I suspect if you have enough money, he will find a way.   :)

lefty dude

My holster is Wet-Molded to the piece, for a snug fit. The piece sets deep in the holster for a no strap-keeper fit. Removal is very nice and smooth with just a bit of Leather tension.
I also, at times when needed just drop this rig in my front pocket.
This Holster was Custom made by a Fellow Cowboy Action Shooter. Who builds Holsters for Competition Shooters.

Below is a Cap & Ball Revolver Belt Pouch and belt I use for CAS/SASS shooting.

BMS52

EvilWayZ,

I'd love to be able to cover your grips BUT in order to make the Stingray (or any other hide) fit properly I have to sand off quite a bit of grip material.  If I don't the hide will overhang the edges of the gun or interfere with moving parts.  I'd end up wrecking the grips if I tried to cover your Laser grips. 

I only do Carbon Fiber or Exotic hide grips on guns that I own and can fit the grips to properly.  In most cases I make a set of Kevlar reinforced Carbon Fiber grips first, then sand those down and cover them.  That way if I mess something up I can make another set at my own expense and the customers original grips don't get ruined. 

Brian
www.DesignerGrips.com

EvilWayz

Quote from: BMS52 on May-20-17 12:05
EvilWayZ,

I'd love to be able to cover your grips BUT in order to make the Stingray (or any other hide) fit properly I have to sand off quite a bit of grip material.  If I don't the hide will overhang the edges of the gun or interfere with moving parts.  I'd end up wrecking the grips if I tried to cover your Laser grips. 

I only do Carbon Fiber or Exotic hide grips on guns that I own and can fit the grips to properly.  In most cases I make a set of Kevlar reinforced Carbon Fiber grips first, then sand those down and cover them.  That way if I mess something up I can make another set at my own expense and the customers original grips don't get ruined. 

Brian
www.DesignerGrips.com

This makes me a sad panda.
Thanks for the quick reply.

BMS52

Hey Lefty Dude.

The guy who made your rig does beautiful work.  I like the look of a matching rig.  When I began making holsters I decided not to work in regular cowhide because there are so many talented makers already out there.  Your guy is one of them. 

I have to begin by wet molding a cowhide holster but all of mine end up covered in an exotic hide of some sort.  Here's a picture of a Python rig I did for a Seecamp owner last year.  I use up an entire 10 foot python hide on this rig with barely enough left over to make a second belt.

Python Grips, Front pocket holster, Rear pocket holster with wallet plate, mag holder, money clip, bracelet.   

Python belt, 2 more money clips for his sons, and an extra Python belt keeper in case he didn't like the belt buckle and keeper I chose.  The buckle can be changed by unscrewing 3 chicago screws.     

lefty dude

You do Beautiful exotic work, very nice indeed.