3" Earl

Started by kc, December-05-17 07:12

Previous topic - Next topic

kc

Dang, that 3" Earl is a nice lookin' little revolver. I think I might like it much as a kit gun. Those of you that have it and the Black Widow and have compared relative ease of accurate shots (.22lr plinking, etc., out to maybe 35' or so), considering the difference in sights as well as sight radius.... what would be your observations?

grayelky

The 3" Earl is my favorite plinking mini. My best (luckiest?) shots so far was hitting a nickel, then a dime and lastly a quarter, which were stuck behind a vine growing up a tree, from a distance of about 30 feet. The nickel and dime were 1st and 2nd shots, the quarter was in the 3rd cylinder when I finally hit it. Less than 15 shots total. It seems me and it just fit right.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

USMC_Dad

Have not decided yet between the 3" or 4" but the Earl is on my short list

kc

Thanks greyelky. That's what I was wanting! I think it'll be my favorite plinker, too.... but then the R2 may change all that (except the Earl is still hard to beat for looks).

1sogdusm

SOooooo a 3" Ranger with boot grips will look like a baby Schofield and be the perfect plinker/snake gun??  I'm liking this a lot boys!

Clare44man

That Schofield look sounds really neat!
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

franco22

A 3" Ranger would definitely be a huge hit. I love all the minis. I especially like those in 22 wmr. Since I've had my Sidewinders I definitely see the advantage of attached cylinders, either swing out or top break, for reloading and range fun.

grayelky

Me and my 3" Earl definitely seem to get along. I am looking forward to the 2 1/2" R II, to see how it shoots.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

zburkett

I mentioned this before, but recently a friend needed an unobvious pistol that he could hit a man sized target at 80 feet.  He came out to my range and I put out every thing that came close to fitting the bill.  He picked up my #3" Earl and hit a man sized gong 5 out of 5 the first time he ever had it in his hand.  The only thing he shot better with was a Ruger Bull Barrel.

1sogdusm

Ya'll are killing me!  I have been trying to hold myself back from buying a 3" Earl, I have been wanting one for some time and keep talking myself out of it.  I may just have to bite the bullet and pick one up. The Ranger will need a friend anyway I guess.

zburkett

Restraint when it comes to guns is not a virtue.

1sogdusm

3" Ranger wanted!

RangerJim

Great picture, 1sog!  Love the pair together!   :)
So, making guns illegal will take them off the street?
Perfect!  We should probably make heroine and meth illegal, too!

RangerJim

Quote from: zburkett on December-07-17 08:12
Restraint when it comes to guns is not a virtue.
Very true, z!  And your story about the Earl makes me want to get one now, too.  I'm kicking my restraint to the curb!   :D
So, making guns illegal will take them off the street?
Perfect!  We should probably make heroine and meth illegal, too!

Uncle Fatso

Newby here, I bought a 4" Earl a week or so ago to supplement my meager accumulation of NAA minis.  My Earl has a lot heavier trigger than my older 1 5/8th" magnum, but the longer sight radius and grip makes it a lot easier to shoot accurately.  I love it and  I'm hoping to find a pocket or IWB holster for it. 

Espresso4blood

I just ordered one because of this thread!  I can't wait!

WECSOG

I was looking at the 3" Earl and the 2-1/2" Sheriff before I handled a Black Widow and decided to buy one. The BW meets the need I wanted to fill, but I would still like to have the Earl or the Sheriff.
Another one I would really like is the Earl Companion. I don't know if they even still make that one.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

bglz42

Love the Sheriff and the Earl! I might have to add one of each!

LushBob

Another vote for the Earl.  Took my new 3 inch Earl to the range today.  I'm ordering new grips for it (separate thread) because I wasn't liking the feel of the boot grip.  But I wanted to see how accurate it shot from a rest.  Shooting LRs at 25 feet I put the first 5 shots dead center into the one inch bull.  40 grain Winchester super-X hollow points. Could hardly believe it!  Now I have to learn how to shoot off-hand.