Ranger II Hows everyones doin

Started by Bigbird48, June-30-18 19:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbird48

Been a bit since we talked about the Rangers. I'm wondering if everyone has got them back from NAA now and how yours is working. Last time I took mine out was after its return from its 4th trip back to the mother ship. It was working ok then, if you go back and find my post. Right now we have a shooting ban on here in AZ because of the high fire danger and its a 110 every day so who wants to go shoot in that anyway >:( ;D
So tell us about yours.Mines EB012/wC
Whats your and hows it doin 4  you??

smokeless joe

My last outing was successful using Hornady 30 grain v-max. 50 rounds without any issues. My issues seem to occur when I use cci ammo in the RII. Guess I'll just run the Hornady in it from now on. I've got plenty of other guns that'll eat the cci ammo.

Bigbird48

Thats strange because I use CCI no trouble ???

smokeless joe

Quote from: Bigbird48 on June-30-18 19:06
Thats strange because I use CCI no trouble ???
Yeah I thought it was strange as well but it's been that way since day one. 95% of the time when my Ranger has had an issue it's when I'm using cci ammo. I've used cci, Hornady and Federal in her. The Hornady has consistently been the most trouble free for me in the RII.

Django2442

Just wondering if all of you reporting problems with the Ranger II's is it only with the EB's? I have a serial # that starts with BTN in the low 900's with the taller front sight and it has been flawless, accurate and tight groups. I've put about 200+ rounds of various CCI, Hornady, Federal and Speer gold dots, no issues, hope I didn't jinx myself.

linux_author

i'm beginning to think that the Ranger II will never hit the mainstream like the Sidewinder...

ah well... i't nice to dream

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Bigbird48

Well thats good to hear. I think your right that the EB's had some problems in the beginning, but hopefully they have all been fixed. Thats the purpose of this post is to see how the Rangers are doing  now that they been out for a while. :D
Quote from: Django2442 on July-01-18 05:07
Just wondering if all of you reporting problems with the Ranger II's is it only with the EB's? I have a serial # that starts with BTN in the low 900's with the taller front sight and it has been flawless, accurate and tight groups. I've put about 200+ rounds of various CCI, Hornady, Federal and Speer gold dots, no issues, hope I didn't jinx myself.

smokeless joe

Mine was an EB prior to the 100's and it's been back to NAA twice. I'm debating sending it back due to It being ammo "picky". I don't like the fact that I can't buy whatever ammo I choose and run it thru my pistol. My Walther ppks was like that. Time will tell in regards to what I do but I'll keep you all posted. Good to hear that the newer ones seem to be in good working order. I would consider getting one for edc.

gebe

Quote from: smokeless joe on July-01-18 06:07
Mine was an EB prior to the 100's and it's been back to NAA twice. I'm debating sending it back due to It being ammo "picky". I don't like the fact that I can't buy whatever ammo I choose and run it thru my pistol. My Walther ppks was like that. Time will tell in regards to what I do but I'll keep you all posted. Good to hear that the newer ones seem to be in good working order. I would consider getting one for edc.

Yeah, that would bug the heck out of me too if it shot one brand of ammo and not another. Revolvers should not be ammo sensitive. They may be more accurate with one over the other but should at least shoot them all.

I know you've been through a hassle with your Ranger II but I still would persue it with NAA to make it right. Good luck with whatever you decide.

smokeless joe

Quote from: gebe on July-01-18 12:07
Quote from: smokeless joe on July-01-18 06:07

Yeah, that would bug the heck out of me too if it shot one brand of ammo and not another. Revolvers should not be ammo sensitive. They may be more accurate with one over the other but should at least shoot them all.

I know you've been through a hassle with your Ranger II but I still would persue it with NAA to make it right. Good luck with whatever you decide.
To be honest I've never thought of it as a hassle (as far as sending it back for repair) my lgs is only 5 minutes away so that's not out of my way. I'm still glad I was chosen for the EB program and I still love the pistol but it's still just not "quite right" yet. We'll get there ;)

MtGoat

Well the one I ended up with needs to go back.
It is ok but with the current reliability I would most likely sell it and move on to something else...BUT I really like the platform.
It is not too accurate, shoots high right, locks up occasionally, fails to fire occasionally, BUT I like the platform.

To be fair to NAA they have not seen this one back for tweaking.
It worked good enough while everyone else struggled with theirs.
If the repair rush has settled down I will send it back AND get a 22LR cylinder as well.

If it comes back and shoots as bad as it currently does it will head down the road and I most likely will search in other directions.
People claim these are not to be target guns but if the gun can't hit a tin can at 10 or 15 feet it is not worth having IMHO.
I would prefer to consistently hit a tin can at 30 feet but given the short sight radius and the fact that I really like the gun I cut that distance expectations in half.

Just my opinion, others have their own...this one is mine.

Pat

RICKS PLACE

Mostly I hear about the early birds when the forum talked of the Ranger ll.   While I would go the Sidewinder route after B/Ws and Pugs, is anyone finding Ranger ll's on the shelf anywhere for sale?  I never hear of that.

linux_author

Quote from: RICKS PLACE on July-02-18 00:07
Mostly I hear about the early birds when the forum talked of the Ranger ll.   While I would go the Sidewinder route after B/Ws and Pugs, is anyone finding Ranger ll's on the shelf anywhere for sale?  I never hear of that.

there are at least three LGS's with NAA revolvers - not one has a Ranger II (or Sidewinder for that matter)

i don't think i'll ever see a Ranger II in the flesh...

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Ruger

Quote from: RICKS PLACE on July-02-18 00:07. . . . . .  is anyone finding Ranger ll's on the shelf anywhere for sale?  . . . . . . 

Find a Ranger II on display? Not in any of my LGS at this point.  But they rarely have any NAA Revolvers of any persuasion.  If any at all, they are ones that were previously enjoyed or turned in after receiving them as gifts. 

I like to frequent the locally owned gun stores.  They have always been able to order me anything I have wanted, but generally inventory what the new kids that come in think they need.  Can't blame them.  If I feel the need, I visit the BIG gun shops and fingerprint their inventory, then call my favorite LGS on the way home in the car, ask for a price (always lower then the BIG GS), and have them order it.  I know; I'm bad, but I rarely ever see someone filling out a 4473 at the BIG GS when I visit, just lots of other finger printers like me.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

Canoeal

Yea my LGS lists on their site 25+ NAAs , including 1+2.5" sidewinders, a slew of standard , Wasps, Earls, and BWs and a few others. No Ranger ll though, and none in the store display....
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

PaPa K

Saw 2 in a Spokane LGS a couple days ago. Thought about it but forgot to see if they had the taller front sights.

redhawk4

I cannot help but think the general "silence" on the forum about the Ranger II says a lot about how a number of people feel about them. I need to send mine back for further attention and to have, what IMO, is a very ugly front sight fitted if I want to be able to hit a barn from inside it :) I haven't got round to it yet even though the NAA factory is just down the road and I've been in that direction numerous times. I just find myself somewhat apathetic to it and my interest has been piqued by other guns I've bought that have provided more pleasurable shooting times, straight out of the box. I can't remember when mine last saw the light of day, I haven't even had the Ranger II out just to look at it, that I can remember - that's sad after the anticipation, but it is what it is, I have several different hobbies, motorcycles, cars, boats and so on and cannot abide, or enjoy things that don't work properly.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

Gog

Quote from: RICKS PLACE on July-02-18 00:07

Funny you mention that. The other day I went to my lgs and they had like 6 different NAA's (unusual for them) and they did indeed have a Ranger II among them! I was pretty surprised. Perry's in Wendell, NC.

Bigbird48

I started this thread to find out from people that have a rangerII how they like them and how their guns are doing. Of the hundreds that have been sold maybe 1000's we've only heard from like 5 people that actually own the gun. I guess nobody wants to talk about them :( anybody want to talk about drones ;D LOL   

Canoeal

I don't own either; drone or a R II.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

billmeek

Quote from: Bigbird48 on July-03-18 06:07
anybody want to talk about drones ;D LOL

I own a few (including one I have WAY too much invested), but that's 3 or 4 hobbies back and they aren't used anymore.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

gebe

WOW! All this about Ranger II's is INSANE! Responses like I've sent it back 2-3 times and I don't mind sending it back again and I'll live with it's foibles is also INSANE! I don't shoot it that often and I like it where I can look at it. What the hell!

NAA should be held to task for these *** things and with no apologies from members here who just continue to sing the praises of NAA.

I see in all the gun mags half page advertisements of the Ranger II's like they're ready to order and perfect but they're still not. This is a travesty!

These guns SHOULD NOT have been released to the general public until they were proven to be perfectly operational and without defects. This crap of defending these sub par examples is why we live in a different world that I grew up in where I bought my mins in the '70's where they were a work of art and functioned as good as they looked!

Come on, the minis are great but with the Ranger II's, STOP IT WITH ALL THE ADULATION THAT ONLY A FEW EXAMPLES FUNCTION AS ADVERTISED!

smokeless joe

Ok how's this. I love the idea of the gun. I love the design of the RII but I'm not settling for a subpar gun. It will be fixed and I'm confident that it will be to my satisfaction. I bought an early bird to be one of 250 owners. I accepted the possible risk of a gun that might have some growing pains. I wouldn't do the same for a motorcycle or a car as I never buy them in their first production run because I depend on them day to day, the ranger I don't not depend on in this way. I'm not paying anything to ship it back and forth to NAAs so I'm not out any extra money to get repairs done. I'm good with that. Not angry not disappointed. I have found acceptance. Simple as that. When they've been out for awhile I'll buy another and possibly retire my current edc for one. But before that happens I'll know for a fact that ALL bugs have been worked out.

Kimber1911

Well Bigbird48,  you asked for it, so here it comes. I have EB250, the last of the Early Birds. I love it, ( that's for you gebe ) she preforms as advertised. However, I have been able to recreate some of the malfunctions that other people have had. Such as, the hammer goes back 1/3rd of the way and stops. This is because the cylinder pin is not seated and the ratchet hand can't rotate the cylinder into battery.  This can happen to any revolver with tight clearances. 2nd issue,  sticky empty cases, I have 6 NAA's, 3 Ruger's, 4 Uberti's all revolvers ranging from 22mag to 45lc. If you fire them fast enough, relode and fire again, the cylinder will heat up enough to cause the empty cases to stick. By the way,  side note, I only use CCI 40 grain jacketed hollow points in my minis. 3rd issue, the gun doesn't hit where I'm aiming. Every firearm is different, so take the time to learn how to shoot it. Has anyone ever heard of Kentucky Windage?  The mouse guns are not to go deer hunting at 100rd yards, they are for up close and personal use only, and they serve that purpose very well indeed. I could go on and on, but I think you all know where I'm going with this. NAA has been very good about taking care of its customers and their (issues ), so unless you have a dog in the fight, you should SHUT UP  ( gebe ). By the way, if you are going to a gun fight, take a MP5, not a mini.   TTFN     R   

Bigbird48

Yep what you said, thanks for typing all that for me ;D ;D
Quote from: smokeless joe on July-03-18 19:07
Ok how's this. I love the idea of the gun. I love the design of the RII but I'm not settling for a subpar gun. It will be fixed and I'm confident that it will be to my satisfaction. I bought an early bird to be one of 250 owners. I accepted the possible risk of a gun that might have some growing pains. I wouldn't do the same for a motorcycle or a car as I never buy them in their first production run because I depend on them day to day, the ranger I don't not depend on in this way. I'm not paying anything to ship it back and forth to NAAs so I'm not out any extra money to get repairs done. I'm good with that. Not angry not disappointed. I have found acceptance. Simple as that. When they've been out for awhile I'll buy another and possibly retire my current edc for one. But before that happens I'll know for a fact that ALL bugs have been worked out.

Bigbird48

Kimber I agree with what you said except the part about Kentucky windage, yes I know about that  but mine was way way off target, so far off that I couldn't hit a Man 10 ft in front of me, maybe if I pointed 2 feet to the right of his left knee cap I might hit him in the chest, seriously. NAA has corrected all the problems. I put a 150 rounds down range on her last return and all was well. :D Can't shoot now because of the shooting ban  :(

Quote from: Kimber1911 on July-03-18 19:07
  Well Bigbird48,  you asked for it, so here it comes. I have EB250, the last of the Early Birds. I love it, ( that's for you gebe ) she preforms as advertised. However, I have been able to recreate some of the malfunctions that other people have had. Such as, the hammer goes back 1/3rd of the way and stops. This is because the cylinder pin is not seated and the ratchet hand can't rotate the cylinder into battery.  This can happen to any revolver with tight clearances. 2nd issue,  sticky empty cases, I have 6 NAA's, 3 Ruger's, 4 Uberti's all revolvers ranging from 22mag to 45lc. If you fire them fast enough, relode and fire again, the cylinder will heat up enough to cause the empty cases to stick. By the way,  side note, I only use CCI 40 grain jacketed hollow points in my minis. 3rd issue, the gun doesn't hit where I'm aiming. Every firearm is different, so take the time to learn how to shoot it. Has anyone ever heard of Kentucky Windage?  The mouse guns are not to go deer hunting at 100rd yards, they are for up close and personal use only, and they serve that purpose very well indeed. I could go on and on, but I think you all know where I'm going with this. NAA has been very good about taking care of its customers and their (issues ), so unless you have a dog in the fight, you should SHUT UP  ( gebe ). By the way, if you are going to a gun fight, take a MP5, not a mini.   TTFN     R

billmeek

Quote from: Bigbird48 on July-03-18 22:07
Can't shoot now because of the shooting ban

Shooting ban?
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Bigbird48

Fire danger is extreme, most counties have a shooting ban on here.

Quote from: billmeek on July-03-18 22:07

Shooting ban?

billmeek

Ah!  I've never ran into that here in TN. 
Bill

smokeless joe

Quote from: billmeek on July-03-18 22:07

Shooting ban?
That's taking some serious precautions. We here in the sunshine state have our wild fire spells as well but they have never taken it as fas as to keep us off the range. What about an indoor range BB or don't you have one available.

ikoiko

Ditto, and thanks.

Kimber1911

Good morning Bigbird48.  Glad to hear that your mimi is all good now. I must have gotten a VERY GOOD one right out of the box. Sorry to hear about the ban.  We don't have that here next door to you YET, but it might come to it soon. Well,  off to ride the HD with my Pug in my vest pocket before it gets too F--king HOT.  TTFN          R          8)

Bigbird48

Last week we had a fire about 5 miles from me, started by a truck dragging a chain, burnt up about 10 acres and shut down the interstate for 5 hours. I live at the very edge of the Tonto Natl. Forest

Target Shooting a Major Cause of Arizona Forest Fires
Ray Stern | August 1, 2013 | 4:00am
Gary Hanna's cruising through the desert wildlands east of Phoenix in his white SUV, hunting for shooters.

On this warm early morning in late June, the forest ranger is one of several state and federal officials patrolling the southern Tonto National Forest on the lookout for one of the most frequent causes of wildfires — people shooting guns. It's the reason behind as many as 31 Tonto fires since 2009, authorities say.

smokeless joe

Quote from: ikoiko on July-04-18 05:07

Ditto, and thanks.
You're welcome. Both of you ;)

MtGoat

Quote from: Bigbird48 on July-04-18 07:07
Last week we had a fire about 5 miles from me, started by a truck dragging a chain, burnt up about 10 acres and shut down the interstate for 5 hours. I live at the very edge of the Tonto Natl. Forest

Target Shooting a Major Cause of Arizona Forest Fires
Ray Stern | August 1, 2013 | 4:00am
Gary Hanna's cruising through the desert wildlands east of Phoenix in his white SUV, hunting for shooters.

On this warm early morning in late June, the forest ranger is one of several state and federal officials patrolling the southern Tonto National Forest on the lookout for one of the most frequent causes of wildfires — people shooting guns. It's the reason behind as many as 31 Tonto fires since 2009, authorities say.

I have always been curious about this.
Lead and copper don't spark when hitting steel targets (typically).
Is it just crazy people shooting tracers or steel core ammunition or how does a fire start without a spark?
Is a shot bullet laying in the grass hot enough to start the grass on fire?

I can understand the dragging chains (the steel can produce sparks when hit against the proper type of rocks).
Lead and copper typically don't produce sparks.

They seem to have evidence of shooters starting fires but what is the root cause....not just shooting but the mechanics of how they started?

Pat