A couple of my ARs….

Started by Warthog, August-07-18 12:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Warthog

I have about five ARs, prolly gonna sell one of them before long.  Here though are two I plan to keep...

First one is a Palmetto State Armory I bought and then decided to make it something fun, I wanted an AR that looked like a Star Wars Stormtrooper Rifle.  Needs to get some Ceracoating done before it is finish but this is how it looks now.
The Muzzle Device actually makes this rifle a lot easier as it really reduces recoil but it will kick up a lot of dust if firing prone on the ground and it is dry out.  I have shot this a few times and it is all zeroed in at about 250 yards now, windage adjustments pending when I get to the range and gauge the wind.  ;)

Next is my Ruger SR556, again, change some things on it plus put the little scope on it as well.  Few other changes I can elaborate on should anyone ask.

Would love to get a Can for this round when I get myself back on my feet and able to save for one. 8)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

smokeless joe

Nice warty. My son in law just built an AR pistol today. We're going to the range tomorrow so I'll get some pics. I'll be bringing mine as well plus my Bug II and my shorty.

Warthog

Cool, looking forward to the pix.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

smokeless joe

Quote from: Warty62 on August-08-18 15:08
Cool, looking forward to the pix.
Here's the final product. Worked well at the range today.

Warthog

Great!  I will again one day head to the range and take pix. :)
-Albert Einstein

Warthog

OK, this was just finished, it is a personal thing, used the name Warthog or Warty online for a while so I assembled an AR made just for me....

-Albert Einstein

Honky Tonk Man

Wicked looking AR Warty.  How did you stumble across that?  I've never seen one like it. 
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

Warthog

Well HTM, I made it myself.  I saw the lower receiver on Brownell's and found they had sold out and I wasn't able to find one anywhere so I posted on INGO< IN Gun Owners forum, to see if I could get one without paying an exorbitant amount.  Took about a month but some sent me a message that he had one and wanted to sell it.  He bought it and thought about assembling a nice hog hunter with it in some other caliber than 556/223 but then found himself too busy with his job to hunt or put an AR together.  Sold it to me for what it would have cost on Brownell's at a personal loss to himself.  Dunno why he was that kind to me about it but I told him when it was finished I would show it to him. :D

Next, somewhere out west, there are people who use one of those air cut machines to make free float AR For-ends by your design.  So I contacted them with ideas, and the guy who helped me through this process, they have a few guys who do the programming of the machine for the actual machine workers.... After we went back and forth for about a month, this was the design we had worked out and I approved it and sent them some of the money and they got started.  Once it was done I was sent pix of it to see if it was as I wanted and it was and I paid for the rest of it plus some little stuff to be able to use it and then I bought a trigger, a barely used Bolt and Carrier because it was one of those plated ones that looked like gold, supposed to make it clean easier and run smoother but I just wanted it because it was gold. 8)

Once I had everything, I had a lot of stuff from my AR Parts Box, having been a gun smith, and I started putting it together and if I found I didn't have something I would write it down and move on until I had it as close as possible then ordered those last few parts and finished it after they came it. ;)

That is how it happened....and I have pictures too, see above.

I want to get it Ceracoated yet and maybe do a little of the detail work to make it FINISHED and look good.  That is to come though and again, PIX!
-Albert Einstein

Honky Tonk Man

Awesome job.  You put a lot of effort into it and it shows.  Talk about a "one-of-a-kind'  AR!   We don't have a hog problem here, but we travel a lot.  This winter we are planning a visit to a good friend of mine's place down in TX.  He has a hog problem and needs help.  I am planning to bring my AR and help him thin the herd.  I was thinking of changing out the upper and making it a .300 BO, but he told me 5.56 will work fine. 

Mine is a Colt M-4.  Pretty much stock with O.D. Magpul furniture, but I put a LaRue rear sight, a Hogue pistol grip, and a Geiselle (sp?) trigger on it.  Nothing too fancy, but a lot nicer than the ones my rich uncle (Sam) had me shooting.  I picked Colt because when I did my research; everything was compared to Colt.  This part is almost as good as Colt, that part is as good as a Colt, etc.  I just reasoned, why not just get a Colt?  I like it. 
"This is my rifle.  There are many others just like it, but this one is mine."

Warthog

Colts are fine if that is what works for you.  I never seemed to care much about a Name myself.  But if it is what you like then great. ;)

Thanks, took me a bit of time but I do like the way it looks.  Would love to do some pig shooting but hey, unlikely to ever happen. :(
-Albert Einstein

smokeless joe

That warthog rifle is really cool warty. What grip is that?

top dog

Warty,
Those are really nice!!

However in my "Constitution State" just looking at one could probably get you in the slam or life in front of a firing squad.

They even have it if you own a Walther P-22 it has to be registered as an assault weapon because it has a threaded bbl.

Again,nice looking pieces,you set them up really nice.

Top Dog

WECSOG

9mm AR pistol. Not finished, but it works. I put the upper together on the cheap (barely over $200 including BCG) and put it on my existing pistol lower, which usually has a 7" barreled 5.56 upper on it.
For the mag I tack welded a piece of steel strap to a Sten mag. The strap serves three purposes. First, it's a spacer to adapt the Sten mag to the standard AR magwell. Second, it has a blob of weld material for the mag catch to engage. And third, the pointy part at the top is bent into just the right position to serve as an ejector.
It's my junkyard dawg AR.  ;D  I do have an 80% lower that takes Glock mags, that this upper will go on when I get around to hogging out the FC cavity. For now though, it works just fine.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

Warthog

Quote from: smokeless joe on August-11-18 20:08

It is a solid titanium grip I saw in the American Rifleman.  Can't remember who makes it at the moment but will eventually.  Getting Old.... 8)

Thanks Folks, it was a labor of love and I look forward to getting to shoot it when I am better too.
-Albert Einstein

smokeless joe

Quote from: Warty62 on August-12-18 09:08
Quote from: smokeless joe on August-11-18 20:08

It is a solid titanium grip I saw in the American Rifleman.  Can't remember who makes it at the moment but will eventually.  Getting Old.... 8)

Thanks Folks, it was a labor of love and I look forward to getting to shoot it when I am better too.
Yeah I did a search and found a couple. No black ones tho. "Out of stock"

Warthog

Dunno bout they way they are now but I had the same problem, was out of stock.  Signed up to me emailed when they were back in stock and it didn't really take that long....
-Albert Einstein

smokeless joe

Quote from: Warty62 on August-12-18 12:08
Dunno bout they way they are now but I had the same problem, was out of stock.  Signed up to me emailed when they were back in stock and it didn't really take that long....
Not a bad idea. Not sure when I'll pick one up tho. Just dropped some money on the two new minis I just got plus an optic that should arrive Monday. My wallet is a bit hollow right now  ::)

Warthog

Yes, I sure understand that Joe.  It feels really good though I haven't used it when shooting yet.  It is also nice and lightweight.  Thinking about getting a few more to put on my other AR's as well.  Another thing that will happen when it does.... ;)
-Albert Einstein

smokeless joe

Optic came in today looking forward to trying it out at the range. My AR is not built, just accessorized  ::)

Warthog

Let us know how it works Joe 8)
-Albert Einstein

smokeless joe

Honky Tonk Man

What make and model is your new sight?  I don't recognize it.  There's a lot to choose from these days. 

smokeless joe

Quote from: Honky Tonk Man on August-14-18 04:08
What make and model is your new sight?  I don't recognize it.  There's a lot to choose from these days.
Vortex sparc. I got it and 10 30 round mags for under 200 bucks.

Honky Tonk Man

Wow, thats a heck of a good deal!  I don't own any Vortex optics, but they have a good reputation.  Looks like a good one.

smokeless joe

Quote from: Honky Tonk Man on August-14-18 05:08
Wow, thats a heck of a good deal!  I don't own any Vortex optics, but they have a good reputation.  Looks like a good one.
I tried my son in laws and liked it, plus I liked the lifetime warranty that comes with it.

Warthog

Vortex made the optics I have on my ARs too.  Best stuff around, at least for my dollar. 8)
-Albert Einstein

Ruger

I always wanted to do a build with a Spike's Tactical "The Jack", they now have "The Spartan" lower available.  Would love to have both . . .

Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

Warthog

Yeah, saw those too.  The Warthog though was the only one I wanted... 8)
-Albert Einstein

smokeless joe

Quote from: Ruger on August-14-18 12:08
I always wanted to do a build with a Spike's Tactical "The Jack", they now have "The Spartan" lower available.  Would love to have both . . .
That's just bada$$ Ruger

smokeless joe

Quote from: Warty62 on August-14-18 12:08
Yeah, saw those too.  The Warthog though was the only one I wanted... 8)
Well we understand why ;)