Sight question: Blade, bead, XS, some NAA models have all 3 types, why?

Started by taku, February-16-19 14:02

Previous topic - Next topic

taku

I have noticed that on some of the magnum frame revolver models, some of them have blade front sights, some have bead front sights, and some have the XS front sights.

Why the differences in front sights?

Rigemortis

I emailed and asked if they could mill my magnum to put a pug style sight in. They weren't interested. I was thinking of doing it myself. I think their apprehension was because the barrel end is narrower and I'd probly have to slim up the width of the dove tail.

I thought about filing down my front sight some to make it more useful, as it is way taller than it needs to be.

This guy built his own rear sight and filed the front down to align it.

https://youtu.be/rYyDMZc6vPQ

Uncle_Lee

Different strokes for different folks.
Some like this one and some like that one.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

pennsy

I too made a rear sight for my mini. It was carved out of a old scope mount and glued on with Goop. Here is a poor picture

Warthog

I use what is there and while I do prefer some over others, with point shooting, the sights aren't used and this is how I shoot my Minis.  IF I find myself in a longr range gun battle, then I must have taken a wrong turn.

As to why, they make these minis so that they can make more and produce enough for demand.  Also, they want to make new items so that people don't lose interest.  This means that they will make different sights and such when they come out and if they see the need, meaning the demand, they will change things until people get what they want.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Boisesteve

I have two 1 5/8" barrel length 22mag minis that I alternate in carry.  The older one has the 'traditional' blade front sight, the newer is one of the EllettBros. specials and has a tritium front dot night sight. I shoot them both the same way.  I rapidly bring the gun up and rapidly look down the flat top of the revolver, with the front sight placed right on top of where I want the bullet to hit. Because I cocked it as it got to eye level, as soon as I see that flash picture down the top of the gun I can pull the trigger confident I'm gonna hit what I want. It's how I practice, at distances from one yard to seven, aiming to hit a paper plate or 8 1/2 x 11" sheet of paper. it's practical defensive shooting, not target.
Steve in Boise

taku

Quote from: uncle_lee on February-17-19 04:02
Different strokes for different folks.
Some like this one and some like that one.

@uncle_lee ... I agree with you from a marketing perspective as, I infer, positioning and differentiating each product line would prevent cannibalization.

But then I think financially and wonder 3 different types of barrels require different tooling and machining and this reduces profits, so why not standardize the barrels.

Just kind of was wonder as if there is any nostalgic to the design criteria or a historical perspective.

Jessica Jarvis

Quote from: Rigemortis on February-16-19 21:02
I emailed and asked if they could mill my magnum to put a pug style sight in. They weren't interested. I was thinking of doing it myself. I think their apprehension was because the barrel end is narrower and I'd probly have to slim up the width of the dove tail

Which firearm do you have?  If it's one of the standard magnums, we can absolutely put the Pug sight on it.  Like another comment mentioned, we do an exclusive for Ellett Brothers and Jerrys with that sight installed... It's not too big of a challenge. I'm sorry you were misinformed.

-Jessica

Bj

I did not realize that was available.  I see it now by scrolling down here

https://northamericanarms.com/distributor-exclusives/

I don't actually go to gun shops much, but when I do I seldom see NAA revolvers so I primarily look online.  It sure would be nice if I could go somelace in a reasonable distance (2 hours max) to see, handle, and ideally even try the different models.

autofull

my minis all have a big dot front sight now. i have the shop and tools to do it. on the ones with a blade i just milled it off and drilled and tapped for a 90 degree angle big bead shotgun sight.  on the sidewinder i bought a pug dot front sight and milled the end of the barrel for it. i think i like the shotgun 90/ degree angle sight best. i do not know how to post pics but they look fine.

RogueTS1

Quote from: Jessica Jarvis on February-17-19 15:02
Quote from: Rigemortis on February-16-19 21:02
I emailed and asked if they could mill my magnum to put a pug style sight in. They weren't interested. I was thinking of doing it myself. I think their apprehension was because the barrel end is narrower and I'd probly have to slim up the width of the dove tail

Which firearm do you have?  If it's one of the standard magnums, we can absolutely put the Pug sight on it.  Like another comment mentioned, we do an exclusive for Ellett Brothers and Jerrys with that sight installed... It's not too big of a challenge. I'm sorry you were misinformed.

-Jessica

Yes, I have one. Its front sight makes a world of difference on one of the regular Minis.

Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.