Mini Master shooting low

Started by JWL79, August-01-19 23:08

Previous topic - Next topic

JWL79

New mini owner been shooting my mini master a lot and enjoying it. I put around 300 rounds in today with various CCI ammo. Pretty consistently hitting in the 6" center at 15 yards. However when I switched to CCI copper lead free ammo I was shooting 2-3" lower. Though it was weird, since it is lighter that lead ammo I was expecting it to hit higher. Shot a whole box of 50 with pretty much the same results. Any ideas why that particular ammo would shoot so low? I was hoping to use it for some rabbit hunting this weekend but now have my doubts. The CCI shots just fine from my rifle.

top dog

JWL79,
I have heard similar reports of lead free ammo shooting to different points of aim.

In my opinion,it is barrel time. In other words,the amount of time (miliseconds) that a bullet is in the bbl after discharge.

Lighter bullets travel faster,hence less time and will shoot,usually lower.

Just my thoughts on this. I could be totally wrong.

Top Dog

glenn

It's hard to get your head around .... but a heavier projectile takes longer to get moving & leave the muzzle ... therefore ... more time for the muzzle to rise & affect the point of target impact .. ie ( higher )

The lighter projectile leaves the muzzle quicker ... BEFORE muzzle rise (flip) ... & will hit the target at a lower position.

This condition is always more prevalent in a handgun vs a rifle because of muzzle flip.  This is why the lighter CCI projectiles will not impact noticeably lower in a rifle until you get up into the heavier / more powerful calibers & experience muzzle exit time vs muzzle rise.

g

Proud Untermenschen of the NWO

JWL79

Thanks, that makes sense. I wasn't taking the recoil effects into account. I was expecting it to behave like my pellet gun (pistol) light pellets high impact, heavy low impact. Looks like I will need more practice to be consistent with the lead free stuff. Only option in California is lead free stuff now.

JWL79

So I have done a bit more shooting with the CCI copper  and now think that it was probably just my shooting and not the gun or ammo. After a bit more shooting the impact is higher now about where I was hitting with normal lead ammo.

zburkett

Glen is right on.  A lighter bullet will usually hit lower, even in a rifle.  That is why it is important to practice with the ammo you intend to use for real.  At least use the same weight bullet.  A lot of other factors can change point of strike, boat tail vs. spitzer, round nose or pointy nose, etc.  For my use I need my carry 1 5/8 mini to be snake head accurate at 10'.  I practice on spent shell casings and just changing from one brand to another can make a difference.   BTW there are those who say minis aren't accurate.  When I do my part all of my minis have been the best shooting short barrel pistols ever.  Some day I would like to put one on mechanical rest jut to find out their true possibility.